The Student Room Group

How representative are TSR grades?

Are the grades (any grades) TSR people put on (in general, and for competitive unis) representative of most people?
Does any data exist to show whether they are or not?
(edited 7 years ago)
No because a lot of TSRians who get real "bad grades" don't put their grades up, and the people who do well are showing off. So it seems like tsr is full of really smart people when in reality we are a bit above average
Original post by pamplemousse.
Are the grades (any grades) TSR people put on (in general, and for competitive unis) representative of most people?

Not really.
I'm just curious, because people say in general and for competitive unis, 'Oh, these people have higher grades than most people', which may be true but I was wondering if there is anything to back that up.
I never attempted to get good grades in high school, they came out average.

Never did A-levels as I thought it was too much like learning to pass a test rather than learning the practicalities of working in a certain industry.
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
I never attempted to get good grades in high school, they came out average.

Never did A-levels as I thought it was too much like learning to pass a test rather than learning the practicalities of working in a certain industry.

Yeah, A levels aren't useful for everyone. There is a fair bit of 'how exactly do I need to write and structure everything in order to pass', teaching to the test.
I'm just curious, because people say in general and for competitive unis, 'Oh, these people have higher grades than most people', which may be true but I was wondering if there is anything to back that up.

Referring to GCSEs, roughly speaking, overall, only 20% of exam entries are A or above, with normally around 5-6% at a grade A*, (individual subjects can be significantly higher or lower) so you can probably make appropriate deductions from that. :h: (totals are at the bottom of the page)
I wouldn't say so.
A lot of people who post on TSR are obviously interested enough about education to bother coming onto a student forum, so I'd say TSR grades are probably above average when compared to the population as a whole. How much above average, I don't know. It may be that the people who do very well disproportionately make up those who tell others about their grades, giving the impression that everyone on here gets grades far in excess of the average.
Yeah, A levels aren't useful for everyone. There is a fair bit of 'how exactly do I need to write and structure everything in order to pass', teaching to the test.

I mean the method in which subjects are taught appeared to be too much like GCSE. It seemed like I'd just be taught how to temporarily memorise information so I could pass the tests. That and the teachers at my school were really unenthusiastic and only ever cared about the few students who were naturally adept and easy to teach.

Although, like you say, it does depend on which subjects are taken and what career/ industry you want.
The grades are generally higher but many people who did average (like me) are less likely to post as they feel like they did bad when in reality they still did alright. I got 7C's 3B's btw and I'm happy

Not representative at all. People are more likely to talk about good grades rather than poor ones.
People are more likely to be talking Russell Group and the top end of that.

Dont let it put you off. Theres a whole slew of people who dont post here or dont mention their grades becayse they are intimidated or theres plenty of snobs on here who look down on them or mock them from what ive seen. Not suprising really, but depressing noneheless.

There are more people posting are my 9A* 3A* good enough sort of threads who just need rassurance. Ive seen three today.
I am the only person to have achieved 69A*s.
Reply 13
AABBBBCCDE

Not everyone here got A*s :wink:
Guys go and do my survey!!!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/KFMNPNS
Original post by jamestg
Guys go and do my survey!!!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/KFMNPNS

No other qualifications other than A levels?
Most of the students on here are probably the cream of the crop at their respective school. So it gives the illusion that you're not doing well.
Original post by ColossalAtom
Most of the students on here are probably the cream of the crop at their respective school. So it gives the illusion that you're not doing well.

Yeah a lot of people in my school are reluctant to join this site because they think their grades don't compare
Original post by wolfmoon88
No other qualifications other than A levels?

Just put N/A

It's too much to start doing IB, WB, BTEC and IAL. (there are probably more as well)

The majority will be doing A-levels so that's what I went for. Could have done UCAS points but who uses UCAS points lol.
Original post by jamestg
Just put N/A

It's too much to start doing IB, WB, BTEC and IAL. (there are probably more as well)

The majority will be doing A-levels so that's what I went for. Could have done UCAS points but who uses UCAS points lol.

True that, I'll just submit an A levels equivalent to IB grades then :P

Quick Reply

Latest