The Student Room Group

Is this method good when approaching roundabouts...

Hi,

Let's say I'm driving in 3rd gear, and I'm approaching a roundabout with lots of traffic, I need to come to a full stop.

Therefore I press clutch and put it 1st gear directly from 3rd (after I'm at the appropriate slow speed). Then slowly release clutch and press brakes. So I'm at full stop in first gear pressing no gas/brake or clutch.

Then I just take of (since already in first gear) by pressing gas (obviously when it's safe).

Is this right?

I know I can also from 3rd put it to neutral then come to a full stop, put it 1st and take off but I read this isn't safest method.

If I plan to not come to a full stop but just reduce speed I guess I can put it say 2nd then continue...

Thanks

- I know I should look right left, etc, etc...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by redhalls
Hi,

Let's say I'm driving in 3rd gear, and I'm approaching a roundabout with lots of traffic, I need to come to a full stop.

Therefore I press clutch and put it 1st gear directly from 3rd (after I'm at the appropriate slow speed). Then slowly release clutch and press brakes. So I'm at full stop in first gear pressing no gas/brake or clutch.

Then I just take of (since already in first gear) by pressing gas (obviously when it's safe).

Is this right?

I know I can also from 3rd put it to neutral then come to a full stop, put it 1st and take off but I read this isn't safest method.

If I plan to not come to a full stop but just reduce speed I guess I can put it say 2nd then continue...

Thanks

- I know I should look right left, etc, etc...

You can't put it in first, come off the clutch and THEN come to a full stop, the car will stall because if the clutch is 'up' the car will still be in gear.

You should brake until you feel the engine starting to labour a bit (where the engine speed is getting too low for the gear), then put the clutch down and use your observation to decide whether it'd be best to choose 2nd or 1st gear - 2nd gear would be most suitable for a roundabout or open junction in which you can see that everything is clear whilst still moving at a decent speed, whereas if you're having to slow to a stop or moving very slowly then 1st gear will be needed, but you'll need to keep the clutch depressed until you're ready to move off. If you're stopped for more than a few seconds and you can see that you'll have to wait a few more sconds, might be a good idea to pop the handbrake on and then 'prepare' the car by finding the biting point and gas when you spot a gap coming up, then when you take the handbrake off you'll be all ready to move.
Reply 2
The advanced driving approach is based on the oft quoted but difficult to understand what it actually means 'brakes to slow, gears to go' principle.

Once you are braking on the approach to the roundabout stay in the gear you were last driving in . Then select the correct gear just in time before entering the roundabout eg 3rd or 2nd if you can safely keep going or 1st after you have had to stop and need to move off again. This can require you to put the clutch down on the approach if your speed drops below what the gear you are in can manage. Once perfected it is quite a stylish technique.
Assuming you're 100% coming to a stop.

Brake as needed,
Clutch down when revs are low
shift into 1st but stay on the clutch.
Find and hold the bite (semi optional)... That is to say that you can either hold the bite, or you can find it literally just before setting off. It just depends on how confident you are with your clutch work.
Set off when safe.

You say you know the obvious stuff, but I do just wanna mention that you should always be aware of what the person in front is doing, they wont always do what you expect them to. There have been countless times where I've followed someone to a clear roundabout (with great visibility to the right) and they've basically come to a stop for no good reason.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
ok, great.

But assuming I'm about to remain stopped for a long time I put it to neutral (to avoid wearing down clutch)?

thanks
To be honest, from the original post and the comments you have made since, I am not convinced that you really understand what the clutch is about. My advice would be two-fold. If you don't have a driving instructor, get one. If you do and they are responsible for your lack of understanding, change instructor.
When approaching the roundabout:

Apply brakes
Depress Clutch Pedal
Shift Into Neutral
Stop
Shift Into 1st
Take Off When Safe

That's what my instructor taught me
I dont do any of that now but that's what I was taught.

Hope this helps
ok, great.

But assuming I'm about to remain stopped for a long time I put it to neutral (to avoid wearing down clutch)?

thanks

No. Leave it in 1st. This will not wear down the clutch.
Reply 8
Original post by cbreef
No. Leave it in 1st. This will not wear down the clutch.

So I leave it in first while keep pressing down clutch. Then when right time I just take off normally (since already in 1st gear)...

Original post by Emma-Ashley
If you don't have a driving instructor, get one. If you do and they are responsible for your lack of understanding, change instructor.

yes obviously I'm going for lessons to learn it, actually relearn it since it's been so long since I drove...

thanks.
You should keep in the appropriate gear for your speed. There's no need to go into neutral unless you're stationary and you know will remain stationary for a while (like at traffic lights). Staying in neutral while moving would be considered coasting.

I think for most cases, gear 2 would be appropriate for approaching a roundabout unless you need to stop. You should very rarely need gear 1 for uses other than moving off from stationary.
So I leave it in first while keep pressing down clutch. Then when right time I just take off normally (since already in 1st gear)...

thanks.

Correct.
If you're going to have to stop;

Mirrors
Brake gently on approach (if safe)
Mirrors
Signal (if turning left or right)
Clutch down when the speed is low enough for first gear
First gear for a closed junction (ie, if you can't see if it's clear until you actually reach the roundabout)
Clutch up and to or beyond the biting point (don't keep the clutch down, this is called ''coasting'' and is not as safe)
Come to a stop (if necessary) and then find the biting point
When it's clear, pull away as normal.

If you can't see if it's clear, or can see that it's not clear, you can treat it a bit like a normal junction in terms of stopping or slowing right down and then speeding up as you pull out. As Zarek told you, ''brakes to slow then gears to go''
Reply 12
ok, great I got a very good idea now.

Thanks!! :smile:
whenever im going to a junction, i always slow down and put it into first even if i can fully see/no one is there as i need to look but im worried if i go slow and in 2nd gear, it will stall. is this right, idk if im using gear 1 too often

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending