The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I've applied for 2017 entry to Engineering at Cambridge with an open application. I submitted my UCAS application last Thursday and sent off my SAQ yesterday, when will i find out what college ive been allocated to?

Thanks in advance
Hi! My question refers to Sec 7.2 of the SAQ. I am applying for Computer Science and I come from Scotland. A-Level Further Maths is listed as one of the most essential subjects however I am unable to take it as it isn't offered in Scotland. I was able to take the best available Scottish equivalent but there are some differences between the content of the Scottish course and A-level Further maths. To compensate for this I am self-teaching Further maths from some textbooks I bought online. Do you think it is wise to mention this in 7.2?
Original post by Shekabi08
Hi! My question refers to Sec 7.2 of the SAQ. I am applying for Computer Science and I come from Scotland. A-Level Further Maths is listed as one of the most essential subjects however I am unable to take it as it isn't offered in Scotland. I was able to take the best available Scottish equivalent but there are some differences between the content of the Scottish course and A-level Further maths. To compensate for this I am self-teaching Further maths from some textbooks I bought online. Do you think it is wise to mention this in 7.2?

Woo another scottish applicant, so rare, what subjects this year?
Original post by Buggy8000
Thanks,
What about section 2?

Nope, no model answers are available for Section 2.
Original post by Avitl1803
I'm filling my details for SAQ but Idon't know what do I have to write where it asks for A and AS-level as I study in Italy and there's nothing like that, we just have an exam at the end of High School
What should I do?

If it is the bit asking for A level module results then, clearly, as you've not done A levels you don't fill it in. If it's the bit about what you've studied in your course then fill in what you did in Italy.
Original post by sassy01
Hi,

I've applied for 2017 entry to Engineering at Cambridge with an open application. I submitted my UCAS application last Thursday and sent off my SAQ yesterday, when will i find out what college ive been allocated to?

Thanks in advance

Around the end of next week.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Thank-you for all of your help regarding advice during the application process. I thought I would just quickly ask a question in light of what you have just said to me.

I have two pieces of written work. Most of my History written work is source based and Selwyn specify that they don't want any source-based work. I have one essay that only got 18/20, and it has some silly errors (like mixing up the leader of a few rebellions or forgetting to add in dates). I wrote it very early in year 12 and it was the first time we were under exam conditions. My other written work is an A*, 19/20, and it is my most recent work.

I do have a third piece which got 18/20 but it was my first piece and is incredibly lengthy. It doesn't follow the exam board criteria and it looks more like an academic report because i went a bit overboard.

Would my year 12 piece with silly mistakes be okay to send? I know I need to choose carefully because other parts of my application have been compromised by my disability. It's a shame I can't submit a source answer because I've never gotten below 20/20 on those.

Yes, send in the one with silly mistakes as long as you're happy to talk about it more. You can diffuse the mistakes by pointing them out when they start to ask about the essay in the interview if it worries you.
Original post by I can do this
Hi there! I was just wondering what kind of things you recommend putting on a medical SAQ? What we like about the course and teaching, or the university as a whole, or about what we've done like the standard PS, or plans for intercalation...? Thank you!

You can put any of those things if you like but there's no need to fill in the extra ps unless you feel you have something to add to your UCAS ps - you won't be penalised for leaving it blank. You might want to reflect on why you've chosen a very traditional medical science course like Cambridge's which is quite different from the way doctors are trained in some other institutions.
Original post by jenjoh
Hi! How about students currently in their first year at another university outside the UK? As I have understood it, some colleges welcome these students, and others do not.

If answering yes to question 1.5 in the SAQ ("Are you completing or have you completed an undergraduate degree at another university, either in the UK or elsewhere?":wink:, but no to the question whether you are an affiliated student or not, will that make the application invalid if being pooled to or handled by a college that do not accept students at another non-UK university?

If you apply to a college who state that they won't accept students at other UK universities then you will get put into the Open algorithm and reassigned, as happens for people who apply to colleges that have specific subject requirements that students don't have but which aren't required by all colleges (e.g. FM at Alevel for Engineering).
Reply 629
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
If you apply to a college who state that they won't accept students at other UK universities then you will get put into the Open algorithm and reassigned, as happens for people who apply to colleges that have specific subject requirements that students don't have but which aren't required by all colleges (e.g. FM at Alevel for Engineering).

Thank you for your quick reply! My question could have been a little unclear, I am referring more to students that are currently attending a non-UK university. Would those students be put into the Open algorithm too?
Original post by jenjoh
Thank you for your quick reply! My question could have been a little unclear, I am referring more to students that are currently attending a non-UK university. Would those students be put into the Open algorithm too?

No, it's fine to apply from non-UK universities, we all accept those applications.
Original post by Shekabi08

I think it's good to mention that, yes, especially that you're self-teaching FM. But, in general, we know what the best available equivalent in Scotland is.
As i'll be visiting Cambridge on the 1st and 2 nd of November for my admissions test and as I'm an international student it'll be my first time visiting, should I call my college (Caius) to possibly arrange a visit/meeting with an admissions tutor or something similar or just visit independently? My main question is just are there huge benefits of visiting the college and meeting admissions tutors at this point as I'll probably meet some of them for my interview later on in December (if I get one).
Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have a number of questions regarding the SAQ:

1. Last year (Y12) I completed the linear AS levels in Chemistry and Physics but am continuing the subjects this year and will complete the linear A levels in them (Y13). On the subjects section, should I indicate this as A Level Linear (Y12) and A level Linear (Y13) for each subject or as AS Level Linear (Y12) and A level Linear (Y13), as the example in the guide seems to suggest that AS Linear indicates that the subject has been dropped for Y13?

2. I began studying for Further Maths AS level in Y12 but have not yet completed it and am still studying for it in Y13. However, my class size has changed from Y12 to Y13. Which class size should I enter?

3. We have not yet begun studying for the Further Maths A level and I am not sure if we will by December. Should I leave the topics section of this row blank?

4. I am not yet certain exactly which and how many Maths modules I am taking (it depends on what we get through in class by the end of the year). What should I enter in the modules to be completed table of section 6?

5. Some of my subject teachers are not certain about the amount of material we will cover by December. If unsure, should I include or omit the topics concerned in the subjects section?

Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
My question is about the SAQ. It says that I should put in details about the subjects I did last year and am doing this year. I did Maths early in year 11 which means that I didn't have a class for it last year. Does this mean that I just don't put it in? If I do put it in, then will Cambridge assume that I had a maths class in year 12 which I didn't. Also if I do put it in what do I put as the class size because I taught myself it but I sat in the back of a year 11 class?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Dr Spencer,

Sorry for the second question, I'm just curious as to what percentage should I be aiming for within the HSPSAA, on my first attempt I got a 65%. What percentage would qualify me a preforming "very well" within the HSPSAA?
Original post by IcedArizona
As i'll be visiting Cambridge on the 1st and 2 nd of November for my admissions test and as I'm an international student it'll be my first time visiting, should I call my college (Caius) to possibly arrange a visit/meeting with an admissions tutor or something similar or just visit independently? My main question is just are there huge benefits of visiting the college and meeting admissions tutors at this point as I'll probably meet some of them for my interview later on in December (if I get one).

I think it would be fine to visit the college and have a look round but I doubt that it will be possible to meet the admissions tutor or any of your potential interviewers at this stage once you have become an official applicant.
Original post by HAMIN99
Hi Dr Spencer,

Sorry for the second question, I'm just curious as to what percentage should I be aiming for within the HSPSAA, on my first attempt I got a 65%. What percentage would qualify me a preforming "very well" within the HSPSAA?

You should be aiming to do as well as possible! :smile: Given that no one has taken the assessment yet, it's impossible to know for certain what will constitute performing very well. Your score will be scaled against all the others taking section 1 (and that includes historians, geographers and others) so we'll just have to see how everyone gets on. Try not to worry yourself unduly about what will constitute a good score and just do your best. I know that sounds simplistic but it's true.
I know you probably won't be able to answer this, but regarding the HAA, would it be better to write the essay thematically, or in a general way of 'similarities, differences, explain the causes of the differences' structure?
Original post by Buggy8000
Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have a number of questions regarding the SAQ:

1. Last year (Y12) I completed the linear AS levels in Chemistry and Physics but am continuing the subjects this year and will complete the linear A levels in them (Y13). On the subjects section, should I indicate this as A Level Linear (Y12) and A level Linear (Y13) for each subject or as AS Level Linear (Y12) and A level Linear (Y13), as the example in the guide seems to suggest that AS Linear indicates that the subject has been dropped for Y13?

2. I began studying for Further Maths AS level in Y12 but have not yet completed it and am still studying for it in Y13. However, my class size has changed from Y12 to Y13. Which class size should I enter?

3. We have not yet begun studying for the Further Maths A level and I am not sure if we will by December. Should I leave the topics section of this row blank?

4. I am not yet certain exactly which and how many Maths modules I am taking (it depends on what we get through in class by the end of the year). What should I enter in the modules to be completed table of section 6?

5. Some of my subject teachers are not certain about the amount of material we will cover by December. If unsure, should I include or omit the topics concerned in the subjects section?

Thank you

1) Do what the guide suggests.

2) it doesn't matter especially but I'd put the Year 13 size.

3) No, you should fill them in.

4) put the ones that you know for certain that you will be taking.

5) include it all - if you haven't covered it and are asked to use that material just tell them you haven't done it yet.

Latest

Trending

Trending