The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask about open days and applying to Sheffield for 2017 entry

Hi everyone,

It is a very exciting time as students will be starting to apply to University for 2017 entry. Our team have been travelling up and down the UK, going into schools and colleges to meet Year 12 and Lower Sixth Form students and offer advice and guidance on applying to University.

This 2017 entry thread is here to enable you to ask questions about courses and all things University of Sheffield. Some useful web links to have to hand are below:

Applying essentials: www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply
UCAS: www.ucas.com
University of Sheffield courses: www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses
University of Sheffield open days: www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/opendays
Funding and finance: www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance

We look forward to hearing from you!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, can i enquire about the nursing degree that is set to be at Sheffield university and im just wondering will that be able to be applied to for sep 2017 entry or not :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
I'm applying for a PGCE at Sheffield. Did my undergrad at Sheffield and absolutely loved it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
So I'm not going to any actual open days this year (I'm fairly certain which uni I wanna go to and also I live in the South and simply cannot afford the transport costs of going up north 5 times), but I read that Sheffield have 'applicant/department open days' for some subjects.

Is there much diff. between these days and open days? Cause I assume that everything I would want to know about my subject I could just find out on the applicant/department open day haha.
Is there an FB page for Sheffield applicants this year? Would be great to get a group chat or something going :smile:
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi everyone,

It is a very exciting time as students will be starting to apply to University for 2017 entry. Our team have been travelling up and down the UK, going into schools and colleges to meet Year 12 and Lower Sixth Form students and offer advice and guidance on applying to University.

This 2017 entry thread is here to enable you to ask questions about courses and all things University of Sheffield. Some useful web links to have to hand are below:

Original post by tonimaria
Hi, can i enquire about the nursing degree that is set to be at Sheffield university and im just wondering will that be able to be applied to for sep 2017 entry or not :smile:

Original post by Inexorably
So I'm not going to any actual open days this year (I'm fairly certain which uni I wanna go to and also I live in the South and simply cannot afford the transport costs of going up north 5 times), but I read that Sheffield have 'applicant/department open days' for some subjects.

Is there much diff. between these days and open days? Cause I assume that everything I would want to know about my subject I could just find out on the applicant/department open day haha.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1764167667179657/

I've just made an FB group for 2017 entry applicants to Uni of Sheffield :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by super_kawaii

I've just made an FB group for 2017 entry applicants to Uni of Sheffield :smile:

Thanks for the invite, alas I do not use FB :tongue:
Thanks for the invite, alas I do not use FB :tongue:

I'd definitely recommend getting it for uni-even if you don't want to broadcast you're entire life over it, most social events and society events are organised over it, so can be hard to keep in the loop with things otherwise :smile:

Department open days occur after the UCAS deadline and are only open to people who have recieved* an offer. Personally I found that I learnt enough about the department and accommodation on the day, but with hindsight did not really learn all that much about the other facilities such as the library service.
Reply 9
I'd definitely recommend getting it for uni-even if you don't want to broadcast you're entire life over it, most social events and society events are organised over it, so can be hard to keep in the loop with things otherwise :smile:

Haha yeah when I get closer to the time I will definitely consider making an account as I know how useful it can be :smile:

Original post by AlexS101
Department open days occur after the UCAS deadline and are only open to people who have recieved* an offer. Personally I found that I learnt enough about the department and accommodation on the day, but with hindsight did not really learn all that much about the other facilities such as the library service.

Yeah I'm aware you need an offer to go there haha! I'm glad you learnt a lot, but for additional things such as the library service I don't mind finding that stuff out a bit later.
Original post by tonimaria

Hello :smile:

Thanks for your message.

Yes it is indeed, you can find out more here:
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/snm/undergraduate-courses/ugnursing/adultnursing

It is on UCAS and the code you need is E740:
http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/763341/nursing-adult?Vac=1&AvailableIn=2017&Query=nursing&IsFeatherProcessed=True&MaxResults=1000&page=5&ret=providers

With best wishes,

Nancy
Student Recruitment Administrator
(edited 7 years ago)

Thanks for your message.

The departmental Open Days are available to applicants once they have been made an offer.

They will be a lot more focused on the course, whereas Open Days are more general and show everything the University has to offer.

On the departmental Open Days, they will usually offer the same kind of things that the main Open Days do, such as campus tours and accommodation tours.

We also run regular campus tours, which are a good way of getting a feel for the University, the booking form can be accessed here:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/opendays/campustours

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Nancy
Original post by AlexS101

If you're coming to Sheffield please join the FB group-we've got a group chat going on and it would be great to get to know as many people as possible before we start

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am applying for orthoptics at sheffield. Who else is?
Original post by hansieeee
I am applying for orthoptics at sheffield. Who else is?

Fancy joining the FB group? It's quite small at the moment but we're hoping to get as many people as possible before next September 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was just wondering if anyone knew what to wear to a biochemistry informal interview for Sheffield??
Original post by OMGiloveoranges
I was just wondering if anyone knew what to wear to a biochemistry informal interview for Sheffield??

Thanks for your message.

We would advise smart clothes, but nothing too formal.
So for males for example a shirt without a tie, or with a jumper over it.

For females, a smart dress or skirt and top perhaps.

Definitely not jeans or trainers.

You want to look smart and presentable, if you remember this you will be fine.

Best wishes,

Nancy
I've finally sent off my UCAS. The wait begins! Hoping for a positive response as Sheffield's the only place I'm applying to
I've finally sent off my UCAS. The wait begins! Hoping for a positive response as Sheffield's the only place I'm applying to

Good luck!

All the best,

Nancy
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions:
1) I will need a job to support myself, at least 10 hrs per week. How easy is it to get a job in student union/university-run facilities?
2) I would really like to live at Allen Court - how can I make sure a get an ensuite room there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending