The Student Room Group

People react to ITV documentary about ex-Muslims

On Thursday evening ITV broadcast a documentary about people who have left Islam, and the troubles they have faced since doing so.

yvxdupW.jpg

The full documentary can be seen here: https://vimeo.com/187477450

I find it amazing that many people do not want to open up discussion and awareness of problems such as this.

Scroll to see replies

Lol, why do Muslims get so defensive about the way they treat apostates? The hadith's literally say the penalty for apostasy is death, why are they ashamed of following the words of their God?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Well done to ITV to be honest, the likes of us need more recognition and support.
Lmao at the idiot who says why doesn't the documentary focus on other religions. It's not as hard to leave other religions like it is with Islam.

And as another user said, well done to ITV!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Lmao at the idiot who says why doesn't the documentary focus on other religions. It's not as hard to leave other religions like it is with Islam.

This really. The harshest I've heard otherwise is how Jehovah's Witnesses are basically forbidden from associating with someone who's been "disfellowshipped" and even then they'd still say a quick hello if they saw you on the street.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by WoodyMKC
This really. The harshest I've heard otherwise is how Jehovah's Witnesses are basically forbidden from associating with someone who's been "disfellowshipped".

Same with Scientology. Both effectively cults followed by a relatively tiny amount of people. Not 1.6 billion.
This really. The harshest I've heard otherwise is how Jehovah's Witnesses are basically forbidden from associating with someone who's been "disfellowshipped".

One of my friends left Islam and was disowned. Imo the day you choose some religion over your own child is when you show you don't deserve children. My heart goes out to ex Muslims because it must be so hard for them.

Isn't that what happened to Sam in Return of the King?
Just got to the bit where the ex Muslim's talking about her brother killing himself because he left Islam. It's emotional stuff.
Reply 9
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
One of my friends left Islam and was disowned. Imo the day you choose some religion over your own child is when you show you don't deserve children. My heart goes out to ex Muslims because it must be so hard for them.

They need our full support. As do genuine reformers such as Maajid Nawaz, who are readily keen about criticising the religion where it deserves to be.
Original post by KingBradly
They need our full support. As do genuine reformers such as Maajid Nawaz, who are readily keen about criticising the religion where it deserves to be.

I find it incredibly sad that the founder of the ex Muslim council regularly gets death threats for criticising Islam and religion in general. Imagine how ****ing insecure some people must be to send death threats to someone who decided to leave religion.
Is an ex-Muslin like a ex-smoker: reformed?
Dear God what kind of sick twisted parent burns their kid's arms for leaving a religion? :lolwut:
It's often just more butthurt, frustrated and insecure Muslims attempting to belittle and silence Apostates. Just goes to show how much of a threat apostates are to Islam, via their mere presence, let alone criticism and opposition - to which they still think their problematic word and cliche term of 'Islamophobia' (often used when lacking counter arguments), is still effective in quelling, for what it's often used to quell, criticism of Islam.

Such Muslims are so insecure of the veracity of their own ideology, so fearful of being exposed to the reality of Islam being false and unsubstantiated, that resorting to knee-jerk responses with hilarity, hostility, insults, slandering of apostates and fallacious causes for apostasy, is just not enough to prevent further doubt and disbelief fruiting amongst Muslims. Persecution is required to shut out all critics...they just want 'apostates to keep quiet and move on'...

I will never, ever understand how a parent can prefer something they have never seen or experienced to their own child. This is what Islam (and religion in general), in all its toxic repulsiveness, does to people's minds and compassion.

Those butthurt Muslims should really buy some cream for that because these kinds of documentaries and criticisms are here to stay.
(edited 7 years ago)
At the end of the day it's someone choice, and they should live their life the way they choose. It's got nothing to do with me or anyone. Everyone is equal and special for who they are, Muslim or Not Muslim. :smile:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
At the end of the day it's someone choice, and they should live their life the way they choose. It's got nothing to do with me or anyone. Everyone is equal and special for who they are, Muslim or Not Muslim. :smile:

The Quran disagrees with you on that, as do a significant portion of muslims. That's what the problem here is.
Original post by Zargabaath
The Quran disagrees with you on that, as do a significant portion of muslims. That's what the problem here is.

That is their problem. I live life by what I believe, not by what someone else wants me to. :smile:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
That is their problem. I live life by what I believe, not by what someone else wants me to. :smile:

Well some people do not have a choice.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Well some people do not have a choice.

I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about myself. I can't dictate what other people think. :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending