The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by dancingfaery
Hey guys,
I'm a current 1st year at Warwick (just started 3 weeks ago!) so if anyone has any questions about the course I'll try and answer them as best I can :smile:
Try not to stress out too much about everything (I know it's easier said than done...)
Much love x

Hi there, what kind of experience did you have when you applied? Any tips on the interviews?
Original post by Brio52
Hi there, what kind of experience did you have when you applied? Any tips on the interviews?

The interview process is pretty nice for getting to demonstrate a broad range of personal qualities. It's a series of 6 MMIs with each one focussing on a different aspect of your understanding, experience and personal values. Each one is separate and a fresh slate and you get a couple of minutes between to reset and prep for the next one.

I left feeling a bit wobbly about 1 or 2 that I couldn't gauge my performance on but the others felt amazing. Think of all the things you could say in 45 minutes-ish only they do the hard work of ensuring you have a good structure and cover the breadth by splitting it up into sensible divisions.

I would recommend reading through all the stuff the GMC publishes about the qualities they expect of doctors, be reflective and enthusiastic. Make sure you understand the buzzwords (professionalism, respect, probity, teamworking etc) and how you can put them into conversations with examples of how you came to demonstrate them.

From looking around my cohort it seems like they did a banging job of selecting kind, communicative, friendly people with really diverse backgrounds.
Original post by bmd2
Hey!

Thanks for getting in touch on the thread. I spent most of my evening last night reading through last years and remember seeing your account come up a few times! Congratulations on getting through :smile:

On last years thread, role play and scenario stations were mentioned.. Are some of them straight forward- do they ask a question, you answer it? Or are they medical scenarios?

Do you know the lowest UKCAT they accepted on your cohort?

Thanks again

692.5 for ukcat x
Original post by bmd2
Hey!

Thanks for getting in touch on the thread. I spent most of my evening last night reading through last years and remember seeing your account come up a few times! Congratulations on getting through :smile:

On last years thread, role play and scenario stations were mentioned.. Are some of them straight forward- do they ask a question, you answer it? Or are they medical scenarios?

Do you know the lowest UKCAT they accepted on your cohort?

Thanks again

There aren't actually any bizarre curveballs but there will be some scenarios where your understanding of healthcare ethics will apply, the UKCAT SJT is a good example of this sort of thinking. I think they do a standard set of MMIs. There's deffo something for everyone. I had an absolute blast at the Barts interviews, it was amazingly fun but Warwick seemed more fair and balanced.
Original post by Quilverine
The interview process is pretty nice for getting to demonstrate a broad range of personal qualities. It's a series of 6 MMIs with each one focussing on a different aspect of your understanding, experience and personal values. Each one is separate and a fresh slate and you get a couple of minutes between to reset and prep for the next one.

I left feeling a bit wobbly about 1 or 2 that I couldn't gauge my performance on but the others felt amazing. Think of all the things you could say in 45 minutes-ish only they do the hard work of ensuring you have a good structure and cover the breadth by splitting it up into sensible divisions.

I would recommend reading through all the stuff the GMC publishes about the qualities they expect of doctors, be reflective and enthusiastic. Make sure you understand the buzzwords (professionalism, respect, probity, teamworking etc) and how you can put them into conversations with examples of how you came to demonstrate them.

From looking around my cohort it seems like they did a banging job of selecting kind, communicative, friendly people with really diverse backgrounds.

Were there any group stations? Or did you do them all on your own? I'm sure one of the students at the open day stated there was a group task...
Original post by Marathi
Were there any group stations? Or did you do them all on your own? I'm sure one of the students at the open day stated there was a group task...

That was when Barts and Warwick held joint selection. Barts still do group tasks. Warwick don't.
Original post by bmd2
Wasn't that the lowest score of the person invited to selection centre?

Yeah and they got an offer :smile:
That was when Barts and Warwick held joint selection. Barts still do group tasks. Warwick don't.

That's great, thanks :smile:
Original post by Marathi
Could you give us a typical 'week in the life of'? :smile:

Also, what were the interview stations like? Are there many/any group ones or are they all solo? Were they all situations, or did some talk to you about your work experience/PS?

Hey :smile: sorry it's taken a while to reply, I've been a bit busy!
Generally, Mon - Thurs are a combination of lectures, group work and CBL sessions, and Fridays are Anatomy and Clinical Skills at the hospital.
Confusingly, the weeks start on Thursdays, and end on Wednesdays, but that's due to the CBL sessions, as the 'commence' session is Thursday mornings, the 'continue' is Monday afternoon, and the 'conclude' is Wednesday morning. The lectures for that case week are all roughly related to that case.
For example, this week our case is to do with altered bowel habits (lovely, I know), so the lectures have been based around the large intestine, inflammation, the autonomic nervous system, and diagnostic testing. Last week's case was acid reflux, so lectures focused on the upper GI tract, acid secretion, etc.
There are also lectures related to specific themes that are essential to becoming a doctor, such as Values/Law/Ethics, Social and Population Perspectives, Pharmacology, and so on.
Fridays have anatomy sessions based on the areas that are being focused on that week, so last Friday we looked at the intestines, liver, spleen and pancreas. There is also an 8am anatomy lecture (ugh...) by Richard Tunstall which he then goes into more detail later in the day during a seminar session, and is actually really useful. Clinical skills sessions do what they say on the tin, so this week we had the general examination, last week was history taking, and next Friday is the abdominal exam.

I've really enjoyed the last 3 weeks, I think Warwick have come up with an amazing course structure, and everyone supports each other.

I think Quilverine covered your interview questions really well, but if you have any more questions, fire away! :biggrin: xx
8am lecture is a pain in the arse but Fridays are awesome. We start community placement next week which I am super stoked for. The number of lectures drops off a bit next week too.
You know when Warwick ask for submission of work experience, does that mean you are definitely going to get an interview or is there further consideration after that?
Original post by NewVivacity
You know when Warwick ask for submission of work experience, does that mean you are definitely going to get an interview or is there further consideration after that?

I think as long as you meet the required work experience you should get an interview. Although I don't know if they ask for reflection on your work experience at this time... Have you received a request asking for a submission of work experience already?

No, if your work experience doesn't meet their threshold/criteria you won't get an interview. They are pretty clear about what they want and the time frame they want it in :smile: Start gathering the evidence now though because you will need to provide it at the interview & some supervisors can be slow to respond to reference requests or go away over christmas.
Reply 313
No, if your work experience doesn't meet their threshold/criteria you won't get an interview. They are pretty clear about what they want and the time frame they want it in :smile: Start gathering the evidence now though because you will need to provide it at the interview & some supervisors can be slow to respond to reference requests or go away over christmas.

I'm guessing you mean they will contact our work experience managers/places to verify we have been doing xyz at abc for x hours/days? Thanks.
Reply 314

Last year I met the quota of 70 hours and was still rejected prior to interview. I think they look at the quota alongside your ukcat, as mine was only 695 with no masters, so I think I was going to get rejected based on ukcat anyway but passed the initial VR screening, hence got the work experience form. So in short, getting the work experience form and having the 70 hours does not mean automatic interview - from my experience anyway
For the work experience hours form, do I have to only provide the contact details of supervisors or d I need an actual reference? And is this just the references from the experiences in the last 2 years? I have experience before that but have no idea who the contact would be...

Do the referees actually get contacted or is it just for the record? I mean a couple of mine would be consultant surgeons so the chances of them seeing the email amongst their other 300+ emails they get is very small...

I don't have this form at this stage but just want to know what to do in advance.
Reply 316
Original post by mj1dan2014
For the work experience hours form, do I have to only provide the contact details of supervisors or d I need an actual reference? And is this just the references from the experiences in the last 2 years? I have experience before that but have no idea who the contact would be...

Do the referees actually get contacted or is it just for the record? I mean a couple of mine would be consultant surgeons so the chances of them seeing the email amongst their other 300+ emails they get is very small...

I don't have this form at this stage but just want to know what to do in advance.

only experience that is less than 2 years old counts, I'm not sure how they use the contact details.
Has anyone else just not received confirmation from Warwick yet?? I applied on deadline day but so far I've only heard back from 2 of my choices...😯:frown:
By confirmation do you mean the email saying they've received your application? I applied on Thursday but only got the email on Sunday or Monday

Original post by RachelRachel1990
Has anyone else just not received confirmation from Warwick yet?? I applied on deadline day but so far I've only heard back from 2 of my choices...😯:frown:
Original post by Joanne86
By confirmation do you mean the email saying they've received your application? I applied on Thursday but only got the email on Sunday or Monday

Yes that email, haven't heard anything from them yet. If my other 2 choices hadn't sent their emails so soon it wouldn't have bothered me as much. Oh well, I guess it's all just a part of the medical school wait! 🤗🙈

Latest

Trending

Trending