The Student Room Group

Foundation and Higher

What's good my G's can you still get an A if you get chosen for foundation?
No. The highest grade you can get on a foundation paper is a C.
No, the foundation tier only goes up to a grade C in exams. If you wanted an A, you'd have to do the higher tier papers.
Reply 3
Ah allow that. Someone told me they got an A cos they aced the foundation test. Best hope i get put in higher then ig
Original post by YoungG
Ah allow that. Someone told me they got an A cos they aced the foundation test. Best hope i get put in higher then ig

If there is another test (higher tier) and coursework that contribute to the final grade, and you get A* on the other test and the coresework, it could technically be possible.
Original post by YoungG

It is possible sometimes to get the A with the foundation, only if you add the courswork on (if the subject has coursework) and if you get a C on the second test, or do the second test at the higher tier and do really well (again, if the course allows you to do it)
In tests like maths, schools tend to keep you in the same tier for both, and because it doesn't have any coursework, if you do foundation, the highest you can get is a C.
Original post by YoungG

That is possible, if the weighting of the coursework outweighs that of the exam. (for example: in modern foreign languages it can be possible to get an A) You can get a maximum of a single UMS point below a B. (69.blah% normally) However, if you're capable of smashing foundation exams like that, I'd say you should enter for higher, where you could get a B/A.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by YoungG
What's good my G's can you still get an A if you get chosen for foundation?

No. The highest grade achievable on a foundation a paper is C. Highest grade achievable on Higher Tier is A*.

Quick Reply

Latest