The Student Room Group

Need advice about uni insurance choice

Hi everyone! As we start sending our UCAS applications off to our unis, I've had this worry in my mind.

For the majority of my uni choices (I'm using all five), the grade requirements are ABB, but I'm looking for a university with lower requirement grades just in case.

Now I know which uni I will put down for my firm choice (assuming I get a conditional offer), but I was wondering if I should definitely put the lower grade requirement uni as my insurance choice in case I miss my grades slightly?

If I got conditional offers for all 5 unis and I choose my firm and insurance, will all of the other unis dismiss me or will I still be able to get a place if I can't get into my firm (like if I just missed my offer, maybe one of the other unis would still let me in?) and I don't want to go to my insurance?
There is no point applying for a uni you don't want to go to.
Unis sometimes let people in who miss the grades but obviously no one can guarantee that as it depends on a number of factors that change year by year.
Reply 2
Original post by AlexS101
There is no point applying for a uni you don't want to go to.
Unis sometimes let people in who miss the grades but obviously no one can guarantee that as it depends on a number of factors that change year by year.

I mean if I change my mind about my insurance
Reply 3
Original post by Amefish
Hi everyone! As we start sending our UCAS applications off to our unis, I've had this worry in my mind.

For the majority of my uni choices (I'm using all five), the grade requirements are ABB, but I'm looking for a university with lower requirement grades just in case.

Now I know which uni I will put down for my firm choice (assuming I get a conditional offer), but I was wondering if I should definitely put the lower grade requirement uni as my insurance choice in case I miss my grades slightly?

If I got conditional offers for all 5 unis and I choose my firm and insurance, will all of the other unis dismiss me or will I still be able to get a place if I can't get into my firm (like if I just missed my offer, maybe one of the other unis would still let me in?) and I don't want to go to my insurance?

Okay well, generally pretty much everyone will have their insurance as a place with lower entry requirements, as they are the place you will go if you don't get the grades at the end for your firm, and it should be a place you are willing to go to. In terms of your second question, as far as I know once you choice your firm and insurance you are rejecting the others so they won't have a place for you if you miss out on your firm, unless they have spaces in clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by emduck
Okay well, generally pretty much everyone will have their insurance as a place with lower entry requirements, as they are the place you will go if you don't get the grades at the end for your firm, and it should be a place you are willing to go to. In terms of your second question, as far as I know once you choice your firm and insurance you are rejecting the others so they won't have a place for you if you miss out on your firm, unless they have spaces in clearing.

Thank you
You need to read these two TSR articles very carefully .......

1) How to Avoid 5 Rejections : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

2) How to make a Firm & Insurance Choice : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending