The Student Room Group

Bad predictions, russell group possibility?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emilysmith268
Not to be rude in any way, but isn't it a bit risky applying for unis with entrace requirements of two grades higher than your predicted (AAB with BBB predictions)? Isn't it likely that they'll look at your predicted grades and then discount you on the basis that you're very unlikely to meet their standards? Unless you can convince your teachers to improve your predicted grades or unless you have extenuating circumstances idk

Well if you had read my question properly you'd know that I was asking whether I should or not. I'm looking for advice and not people saying they're not being rude when they are.
Original post by mathsaddict1234
What? Do you recommend any other unis apart from RG unis for A&F?

To be honest, I thought RG universities did Economics - Accounting and Finance is a vocational thing you do after university, not during. But clearly I am wrong so I don't want to mislead you. I hope you find a university that suits you.
Original post by Reality Check
To be honest, I thought RG universities did Economics - Accounting and Finance is a vocational thing you do after university, not during. But clearly I am wrong so I don't want to mislead you. I hope you find a university that suits you.

What do you mean?
What do you mean?

I mean that the Accountants and people who work in Finance that I know either did Economics or Maths at university - accounting/finance is really a vocational rather than academic pursuit.

However, it is clear that many universities offer it as an academic choice, and so if you want to do that then that's entirely your choice. I didn't want to clog up your thread any further as I cannot advise as to which university would be a good choice for this subject!
There's still a chance you'll get offers but just offers higher than your predictions. Just work really hard to smash your predicted grades. Retake anything if you need to go to the next grade up, that's what I am doing anyways
Well if you had read my question properly you'd know that I was asking whether I should or not. I'm looking for advice and not people saying they're not being rude when they are.

hmmm in that case of the three unis you've listed I'd go for maybe sheffield or newcastle? I know sheffield is normally faairly lenient with grades tbh, don't know much about newcastle, but birmingham sometimes has a bit of a reputation for being a bit stricter with grades.

actually thinking about it, I know someone that got into liverpool a+f with BBB grades - they were expecting ABB grades but liverpool gave them a place anyway! also kent is meant to be pretty good!

sorry if I was rude, genuinely didn't mean to be :ashamed2: best of luck to you! :h:
Original post by physicsamor
There's still a chance you'll get offers but just offers higher than your predictions. Just work really hard to smash your predicted grades. Retake anything if you need to go to the next grade up, that's what I am doing anyways

Okay thanks, just wanted to know whether there was still a chance or not
Im kind of in a similar situation situation, Ive been predicted BBC but I don't know which universities to apply for with accounting and finance. Also I saw a business foundation year at leeds which only requires CCC but the website( Which? university) says it only 5% of applicants receive offers.
Original post by emilysmith268
hmmm in that case of the three unis you've listed I'd go for maybe sheffield or newcastle? I know sheffield is normally faairly lenient with grades tbh, don't know much about newcastle, but birmingham sometimes has a bit of a reputation for being a bit stricter with grades.

actually thinking about it, I know someone that got into liverpool a+f with BBB grades - they were expecting ABB grades but liverpool gave them a place anyway! also kent is meant to be pretty good!

sorry if I was rude, genuinely didn't mean to be :ashamed2: best of luck to you! :h:

No worries, thank you very much for your help and advice, greatly appreciated!!
Okay thanks, just wanted to know whether there was still a chance or not

I wouldn't worry too much :h: have a good personal statement as well!
Original post by dom117117
loughborough is a great one for AAB and i think is quite lineant with grades. Durham,s good for AAB so is Reading. Once it gets lower than AAB then it's harder to find a decent uni Kent from my research is the exeption. A alright one for BBC is Swansea or Norwich uni. Good luck with your decisions😄
I think you got a alright chance with either Aston or Birmingham go with the one you like the most.

When you say ' Norwich uni ' don't you mean UEA lol ? Haha
Original post by fefssdf
When you say ' Norwich uni ' don't you mean UEA lol ? Haha
haha can never remembers it's name tho😄
haha can never remembers it's name tho😄

Lol fair enough
Kent is a pretty decent university, nice campus, nice town around it, academically it seemed good (I'm applying for Economics as my lowest choice) but I went for the A&F Talk when I went to the open day just to get an idea of it. Their grades are quite low as well ABB but BBB if you have A - Level math not sure if its the same for A&F. But with predicted grades of BBB, which most uni's take with a 'pinch of salt', applying to uni's above ABB would be a very risky decision mate. You should go with max ABB, if you get higher than try for Adjustment.
Original post by azizadil1998
Kent is a pretty decent university, nice campus, nice town around it, academically it seemed good (I'm applying for Economics as my lowest choice) but I went for the A&F Talk when I went to the open day just to get an idea of it. Their grades are quite low as well ABB but BBB if you have A - Level math not sure if its the same for A&F. But with predicted grades of BBB, which most uni's take with a 'pinch of salt', applying to uni's above ABB would be a very risky decision mate. You should go with max ABB, if you get higher than try for Adjustment.

What's adjustment? Would it be that bad if applied to one uni for AAB?
What's adjustment? Would it be that bad if applied to one uni for AAB?

Adjustment is like the opposite of Clearing I suppose. Say your firm offer was Kent ABB, but you get AAB - you can try to get into a university with higher than your firm offer then. Basically, if you achieve grades HIGHER than your firm offer you are eligible for this. No definitely not bad, go for one, I would say loughborough they're quite well respected, good ranking, campus, etc (I am applying there too), make sure your personal statement is sound then as they may look more heavily on that as your predicted grades are lower? Also what subjects are you taking/what grades did you get at AS if you don't mind me asking? Would give me a better idea. Just asking cause theres like people in my school who are applying to medicine for example, got ABB at AS and predicted A*AA now (WTF).
Original post by azizadil1998
Adjustment is like the opposite of Clearing I suppose. Say your firm offer was Kent ABB, but you get AAB - you can try to get into a university with higher than your firm offer then. Basically, if you achieve grades HIGHER than your firm offer you are eligible for this. No definitely not bad, go for one, I would say loughborough they're quite well respected, good ranking, campus, etc (I am applying there too), make sure your personal statement is sound then as they may look more heavily on that as your predicted grades are lower? Also what subjects are you taking/what grades did you get at AS if you don't mind me asking? Would give me a better idea. Just asking cause theres like people in my school who are applying to medicine for example, got ABB at AS and predicted A*AA now (WTF).

Oh I see! I got a few UMS off an A in maths but am retaking C2, and I got a C in French with 100 ums in speaking. However I'm doing maths chemistry biology atm.
Oh I see! I got a few UMS off an A in maths but am retaking C2, and I got a C in French with 100 ums in speaking. However I'm doing maths chemistry biology atm.

Oh fair enough good idea that should be quite easy for you as C3 is literally a continuation of C2. What did you get in chemistry and biology in the mocks as if I remember correctly it's linear for everyone now?
haha can never remembers it's name tho<span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:65% 45%;background-size:4100%" title="smile"></span></span>

We're only 3 letters long (UEA)! We typically look for AAB for our course (https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/bsc-accounting-and-finance). Although, on the plus side we're a Top 15 university (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017), consistently a Top 5 university for student satisfaction (National Student Survey) and within the World Top 100 for research excellence (Leiden Ranking 2016) :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by University of East Anglia
We're only 3 letters long (UEA)! We typically look for AAB for our course (https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/bsc-accounting-and-finance). Although, on the plus side we're a Top 15 university (Guardian 2017), consistently a Top 5 university for student satisfaction (National Student Survey) and within the World Top 100 for research excellence (Leiden Ranking 2016) :smile:

Aw sorry but must your accounting courses are ABB tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending