The Student Room Group

What to do when your friend lied on his personal statement for medicine?

My friend sent me his personal statement a few weeks ago and it is full of blatant lies. It is not just slight exaggerations but he has completely fabricated all the volunteering and copied some of my volunteering. I have tried to ignore the situation but it is eating me alive. I'm worried not only because lying is wrong but also worried it may end up being similar to my statement and the medical schools will pull this up? What should I do I'm so worried? :frown:
Have you talked to him about it? You should tell him that it's not a good idea. Have you applied already? If so, you can check UCAS Track for the similarity report.
What your friend has done is completely unacceptable and I'm sure the medical admission teams will pick up on this one way or another. Not only will he have to give valid references of his experiences, he will most likely be asked about these if selected for interview.

You should just ignore him and focus on your own application. But why would both your statements be similar? If you allowed him to use yours then you will both be in trouble.
Original post by yukicookie
Have you talked to him about it? You should tell him that it's not a good idea. Have you applied already? If so, you can check UCAS Track for the similarity report.

The similarity report doesn't get added to UCAS Track in cases where they notify universities of similarity.

It isn't made available to all applicants.
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/similarity-detection-applicant-guide.pdf
Original post by arrow95
My friend sent me his personal statement a few weeks ago and it is full of blatant lies. It is not just slight exaggerations but he has completely fabricated all the volunteering and copied some of my volunteering. I have tried to ignore the situation but it is eating me alive. I'm worried not only because lying is wrong but also worried it may end up being similar to my statement and the medical schools will pull this up? What should I do I'm so worried? :frown:

Did you raise this with your friend or with your teachers/reference writers?

If not then there's very little you can do unless you want to notify his universities directly.
Reply 5
When he brought it up I said it was a bad idea to lie, He said ''everybody lies on their statement''. I didn't know how bad the lies were going to be until I read the statement when he sent it on a group chat. By this point I had already sent off mine several days ago. We are fairly close and I discussed my volunteering with him in person and on chat over the summer and of course now I see the statement it is very similar to what I have written and I wonder if it is similar enough for the uni's to pick up. No similarity has shown up when I check but I did apply about 7 days earlier.
Reply 6
I'm just keeping calm because if something does come of it, I can back myself up with evidence and references from people and I submitted mine earlier. I also have screenshots where he says he wants to lie. However, I'm wondering if I could be in trouble for failure to report this?
Liars never prosper! He may get caught out in the interview as I believe all medicine applications have one. I'm sure universities have their ways...
Laugh at him when he fails his interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arrow95
When he brought it up I said it was a bad idea to lie, He said ''everybody lies on their statement''. I didn't know how bad the lies were going to be until I read the statement when he sent it on a group chat. By this point I had already sent off mine several days ago. We are fairly close and I discussed my volunteering with him in person and on chat over the summer and of course now I see the statement it is very similar to what I have written and I wonder if it is similar enough for the uni's to pick up. No similarity has shown up when I check but I did apply about 7 days earlier.

If it's picked up then it's his statement that will be flagged - yours will be assumed to be the original due to earlier submission.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending