Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2017 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Yep

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hi! I'm currently in my third year of English and Creative Writing. I'm at a smaller uni right now, but I'd like to apply to a higher university for my postgrad. I'm thinking of doing Comparative Literature, and so far I'm really interested in the MPhil European, Latin American and Comparative Literatures and Cultures at Cambridge.
I'd really love to give it a go, but I'm a bit scared that they won't accept me because my undergraduate degree isn't the degree they ask for in the admission criteria... However I contacted the admissions office and they said they do consider applications from other humanity degrees too... But I guess the other students would be preferred. I think I may stand a chance even though my degree isn't what they ask for because I'm multilingual and fluent in German and French and studied the language & literature of both of those languages depth over several years in secondary school. (I'm from Luxembourg, where both of those languages are amongst the official languages). Do you think I'd stand a chance?
Original post by steffielina

You've got to apply to get a chance. One thing Cambridge Admissions are very good at is reading all applications in a very comprehensive and fair way, and they are very open to considering a wide range of backgrounds and how they might be appropriate. You can only back yourself, put in the best application you can and cross your fingers!
Hi! I'm currently in my third year of English and Creative Writing. I'm at a smaller uni right now, but I'd like to apply to a higher university for my postgrad. I'm thinking of doing Comparative Literature, and so far I'm really interested in the MPhil European, Latin American and Comparative Literatures and Cultures at Cambridge.
I'd really love to give it a go, but I'm a bit scared that they won't accept me because my undergraduate degree isn't the degree they ask for in the admission criteria... However I contacted the admissions office and they said they do consider applications from other humanity degrees too... But I guess the other students would be preferred. I think I may stand a chance even though my degree isn't what they ask for because I'm multilingual and fluent in German and French and studied the language & literature of both of those languages depth over several years in secondary school. (I'm from Luxembourg, where both of those languages are amongst the official languages). Do you think I'd stand a chance?

Go on LinkedIn and hunt down people who did this MPhil, and see if anyone did non-standard degrees like yours. If so, message them for some advice, someone will respond. If not, just apply anyway! Earlier is always better than later. Bug your references to write strong profiles too :-)

I have no idea of what the specific profile/politics are at Cambridge's CompLit department, but my guess is that if you have (a) a reasonable idea for a thesis and (b) enough skills in your background that you'll be able to complete it (while doing well in whatever the structured coursework is), all will be OK.
Did you have modules/courses in your undergrad that are even slightly related to the MPhil program?
The course I'm applying for (MPhil in Machine Learning, Speech and Language Technology) is competitive (I think there were 120 applications for 37 places offered last year).

I have a first in Computer Science from a decent (non RG) university, and I have been working as an iOS developer for over a year. The few students I can find currently studying this course have very strong profiles.

I am relying on me being able to show how passionate I am about machine learning through the independent learning I have done etc.

How much do they take this into consideration? Do I stand a chance?
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone have an example of a structured personal statement / research proposal for an MPhil program? I'm applying to history. I'm from the US and the structure seems to be different than what I am used to. Thanks!
Hi guys
So both Cambridge Mphil courses I'm interested in ( Mphil Clinical Neuroscience + Mphil Basic Neurosciences ) are said to be 12 month long ( 1st Oct 17 - 1st Oct 18 )

Just wondering if I actually will be only allowed to finish/leave Cambridge on the 1st Oct 18, not earlier???
Mphil Clinical Neuroscience is purely research based. Does it depend on how early I submit my thesis? Then just wait to come back for the viva?

Mphil Basic Neurosciences is half taught half research. Does it mean I will finish as soon as I've done my assesments and submitted my thesis?

Thanks guys
Original post by gradstu

Usually, you only have to physically be in Cambridge sufficient to 'keep term', that is term time. Outside that you can live elsewhere, and indeed your research may require you to be elsewhere. The last day of the course is the thesis/dissertation submission day, which you have to come back to Cam to do (or did a few years ago, there was no entirely electronic process for submission).

So in general terms, you have to live in Cam during term time, but your specific course or research might require something different, so if it is a key issue for you, you should check with the course administrators directly.
Hi guys,

I've got a question abt when I should start submitting my application. I am gonna be apply to the department of Clinical Neuroscience, the Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience and the department of Medicine for 3 different Mphil courses.

Say if I submit my application now and were to get an interview, does it mean my interview will be earlier than if I submit my application later ( obviously before the deadline) ?

Do most departments process applications straight away or wait until the deadline has passed to process all applications together?

Thanks guys x
Original post by threeportdrift
Usually, you only have to physically be in Cambridge sufficient to 'keep term', that is term time. Outside that you can live elsewhere, and indeed your research may require you to be elsewhere. The last day of the course is the thesis/dissertation submission day, which you have to come back to Cam to do (or did a few years ago, there was no entirely electronic process for submission).

So in general terms, you have to live in Cam during term time, but your specific course or research might require something different, so if it is a key issue for you, you should check with the course administrators directly.

Thank you!!! Just wondering though they say on this website graduate students basically have the whole academic year 12 months as their term time? or do you mean term time as in undegraduate term time?
Original post by gradstu
Thank you!!! Just wondering though they say on this website graduate students basically have the whole academic year 12 months as their term time? or do you mean term time as in undegraduate term time?

I don't know, I'm not looking into this course, upload the exact quote if you want to me to compare and contrast it. What I described is the normal process as I have seen it for Cam MPhils and PhDs, but I'm not claiming there aren't some with different specific rules.
I don't know, I'm not looking into this course, upload the exact quote if you want to me to compare and contrast it. What I described is the normal process as I have seen it for Cam MPhils and PhDs, but I'm not claiming there aren't some with different specific rules.

Graduate students operate on the basis of the academic year which extends beyond the end of the Easter Term.
The Academic year commences on 1st October and finishes on 30th September each year.
https://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-university/term-dates-and-calendars

Original post by gradstu
Hi guys,

I've got a question abt when I should start submitting my application. I am gonna be apply to the department of Clinical Neuroscience, the Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience and the department of Medicine for 3 different Mphil courses.

Say if I submit my application now and were to get an interview, does it mean my interview will be earlier than if I submit my application later ( obviously before the deadline) ?

Do most departments process applications straight away or wait until the deadline has passed to process all applications together?

Thanks guys x

Earlier is always better. Don't rush your statements, but don't dawdle either. Aim to get them in before Nov. Earlier applicants have more chances of funding. Plus it just looks better instead of applying on the deadline.
Original post by gradstu
Graduate students operate on the basis of the academic year which extends beyond the end of the Easter Term.
The Academic year commences on 1st October and finishes on 30th September each year.
https://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-university/term-dates-and-calendars

They are just telling you that things don't stop at the end of the Easter term, that you will probably have to keep working, ie the summer is part of your research time. It's nothing specific to your course, it's just a statement that dates for work deadlines etc will run beyond the end of term, and that the academic year runs 1 Oct to 30 Sep.
They are just telling you that things don't stop at the end of the Easter term, that you will probably have to keep working, ie the summer is part of your research time. It's nothing specific to your course, it's just a statement that dates for work deadlines etc will run beyond the end of term, and that the academic year runs 1 Oct to 30 Sep.

ah thank you!!! Now that makes much more sense! Sorry I just realise how silly the question was lolJust one last thing to confirm, does it sorta mean I can finish whenever I submit my thesis? Obviously depending on the project and stuff :smile:
Original post by gradstu
ah thank you!!! Now that makes much more sense! Sorry I just realise how silly the question was lolJust one last thing to confirm, does it sorta mean I can finish whenever I submit my thesis? Obviously depending on the project and stuff :smile:

Hmm, I can;t think of anything that would keep you after you had submitted, but that's kind of an issue you need to sort much closer to the date. Not least, if your submission date is the last working day of September, then you'd be bold to book anything in the few weeks before that, in case you had submission issues.

I can't think why they'd make the submission date in June, but if it was, and you then had 3 months free, I guess you could do what you wanted, but I doubt it will be. You'd have to check if that was important to you.
Original post by DCRsilver
I've never seen anyone (judging by linkedin profiles) get into JBS for an MPhil with less than a 1st, though it's probably possible if you also have a relevant MSc with distinction. MPhil Finance especially is super competitive, I would be amazed if I got an offer even with my relevant 1st already in the bag, simply because everyone else applying is no different quality wise. I think at the minimum you also need to be the third best student in your class, preferably no. 1.

Which MPhil you thinking of?

For the MFin and MBA however, strong experience and GMAT is fine with a 2:1. The trouble is getting the good experience.

Why would you screw up? You just started your final year! You got this :-)

I'm thinking of applying for the MPhil innovation, strategy, and organisation. Ah that's what's I expected from Cambridge tbh. I'm just asking a possibility, though I'm definitely working twice as hard this year than my 2nd year 😬

I just started my final year so I don't have any professional experience besides an internship, leadership roles in societies and other external academic certifications. I don't know if I'm the best in my course honestly, definitely in the top 10% though if that even helps lol
Hmm, I can;t think of anything that would keep you after you had submitted, but that's kind of an issue you need to sort much closer to the date. Not least, if your submission date is the last working day of September, then you'd be bold to book anything in the few weeks before that, in case you had submission issues.

I can't think why they'd make the submission date in June, but if it was, and you then had 3 months free, I guess you could do what you wanted, but I doubt it will be. You'd have to check if that was important to you.

Well, the viva for a start, assuming the course at PDN requires one...!
Original post by Reality Check
Well, the viva for a start, assuming the course at PDN requires one...!

Possibly, though most MPhils only viva borderline candidates and a few for benchmarking purposes, you only find out about those after the submission date, and yes, it does cause people who have planned to be elsewhere to re-arrange their plans. The viva for a PhD occurs months after submission and outside the formal 'course dates'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending