The Student Room Group
I think there is an admissions tutor who is academic lecturer who basically heads the decision making process on who gains entry to the course. It should be obvious who the admissions tutor is for your course at your uni, it is for me.
Each university has a different system, but generally an admissions tutor (sometimes called admission officer) is a non-academic member of staff attached to a department/faculty, their job is essentially an administrator but they also comminute with prospective students and answer questions. They may also assist academic staff in choosing which applicants to accept.
Original post by Snufkin
Each university has a different system, but generally an admissions tutor (sometimes called admission officer) is a non-academic member of staff attached to a department/faculty, their job is essentially an administrator but they also comminute with prospective students and answer questions. They may also assist academic staff in choosing which applicants to accept.

Tutor will generally refer to an academic member of staff. It won't be their job title though but a job they do as well as their other roles. How much involvement they have varies between universities/courses. Some will be making admissions decisions on all applications, others will set admissions criteria for non academic staff to apply and make decisions on marginal/complex cases.

Officer will be non academic staff. They will apply admissions criteria decided by academic staff. They're generally superior to admissions administrators or assistants who will be doing more routine work.
Original post by PQ
Tutor will generally refer to an academic member of staff. It won't be their job title though but a job they do as well as their other roles. How much involvement they have varies between universities/courses. Some will be making admissions decisions on all applications, others will set admissions criteria for non academic staff to apply and make decisions on marginal/complex cases.

Officer will be non academic staff. They will apply admissions criteria decided by academic staff. They're generally superior to admissions administrators or assistants who will be doing more routine work.

Ah, I guess that makes sense. But when I was applying to university, most of the non-academic admissions staff I spoke to were called 'tutors' so in my head an 'admissions tutor' and 'admissions officer' are synonymous. The only academic member of staff I ever spoke to about admissions was rather rude, I got the feeling they didn't like being contacted by applicants directly.
Reply 5
Original post by arcenciel21
Is there an actual person whose official title is 'admissions tutor' whose job is to deal with UCAS applications or is it just one of the people who will be your lecturers / programme leaders?

I am already at uni but I am wondering who was the person who said, yes, she's accepted onto this course. :colondollar:

Yes, there are academic staff at Cambridge and Oxford with that role (responsible for their college admissions and usually a college Fellow) and job title. They may also lecture on a course too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Hey all, I won a significant international level award relating to the subject I applied for. I am 100% sure it will help my application. Should I email the general admissions person or admission tutor regarding it? Will the admissions tutor get annoyed? Do they even accept updates now?
Original post by upquarkk
Hey all, I won a significant international level award relating to the subject I applied for. I am 100% sure it will help my application. Should I email the general admissions person or admission tutor regarding it? Will the admissions tutor get annoyed? Do they even accept updates now?

Universities only accept what is in your original UCAS application - so they wont be interested, therefore its pointless emailing anyone.
Reply 8
In the US you can directly email them. I am actually new to the UK system. Sorry if this is stupid. But I will kinda regret it if I don't inform them. It is a huge, highly selective and prestigious award. What will happen if I send it to my admissions tutor (also a professor)? Will he just ignore it or get annoyed? If he is annoyed will it negatively affect my application?
In the US you can directly email them. I am actually new to the UK system. Sorry if this is stupid. But I will kinda regret it if I don't inform them. It is a huge, highly selective and prestigious award. What will happen if I send it to my admissions tutor (also a professor)? Will he just ignore it or get annoyed? If he is annoyed will it negatively affect my application?

Most UK Universities have a centralised Admissions office - ie. academics don't actually make individual decisions, they merely set the parameters for selection for 'their' course, and the admissions staff do the rest. So you can try emailing the Admissions office for each Uni (google....) but honestly they are very unlikely to see it as something that makes any difference to your application.

Don’t hassle academic staff with information like this.

Send it to the central admissions team and ask them to attach it to your application. If your university accept additional information then they’ll attach it for consideration.

Latest