The Student Room Group

Does anyone else almost wish they lived forever...

Scroll to see replies

Well biological immortality is on the horizon so this will almost certainly be a reality this century.
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Having a name like @TheOtherSide. probably would raise their suspicions. :lol:

I didn't even think of that. :rofl:

But hey, what if I'm a double agent, unwilling to give her secrets away? :mmm:

They probably don't wanna take their chances - the humans are already eating them in their millions. :lol:

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Well biological immortality is on the horizon so this will almost certainly be a reality this century.

What makes you say that? :holmes:
Original post by Hydeman

They probably don't wanna take their chances - the humans are already eating them in their millions. :lol:

Even if it meant eventual world domination for us 'chickies'? :ninja:
Even if it meant eventual world domination for us 'chickies'? :ninja:

They're all about surviving and 'every chicky for himself', you see. :tongue:
for OP
I think it would be nice to live forever, to see the answers to them questions. I'm not a very sociable person so outliving what friends i currently have won't phase me too much and i'm not prone to suffering loneliness. I can spend my time learning everything there is to know, starting with my favourite subject maths.
However i do have one concern with it. Does this make your body invincible, cause if not and the end of the universe (or earth if we dont get to alpha centauri (i think it is) before its the end of Earth) is caused by an explosion your body should be destroyed. Also if our bodies were invincible we'll inevitably get stuck suffocating forever

tl;dr Yes it would be nice, i can study all i want for no reason but enjoyment. However constant torture would be near inevitable
Original post by Hydeman
They're all about surviving and 'every chicky for himself', you see. :tongue:

You seem to know an awful lot about how we operate.. :hmmm:

How can I know that you're not a human spy for the chickens?
Nope i wouldnt tbh :smile:
Original post by Toasticide
for OP
I think it would be nice to live forever, to see the answers to them questions. I'm not a very sociable person so outliving what friends i currently have won't phase me too much and i'm not prone to suffering loneliness. I can spend my time learning everything there is to know, starting with my favourite subject maths.
However i do have one concern with it. Does this make your body invincible, cause if not and the end of the universe (or earth if we dont get to alpha centauri (i think it is) before its the end of Earth) is caused by an explosion your body should be destroyed. Also if our bodies were invincible we'll inevitably get stuck suffocating forever

tl;dr Yes it would be nice, i can study all i want for no reason but enjoyment. However constant torture would be near inevitable

I was thinking more along the lines of sort of living forever, but not having a physical body to damage so that you could be there for the end of the universe.. Or something similar. Just because I'm that curious.
You seem to know an awful lot about how we operate.. :hmmm:

How can I know that you're not a human spy for the chickens?

Ah, I'll be pleading the Fifth now. :ninja:
(edited 7 years ago)
...just to be able to be there when/if humanity finally finds the answers to questions such as exactly what there was before the Big Bang, what's inside a black hole, even uncovering all of the secrets of the mind? Maybe being able to see what happened at the end of the universe?

And then, of course, I remind myself that I will never find out the answer to any of these questions.

Spoiler

I have a feeling that something similar to the Heisenberg Principle applies to the fundamental laws of reality, which means that either there won't be a completely definitive set of answers or they'll appear to shift as we keep chasing them.
Original post by Hydeman
Ah, I'll pleading the Fifth now. :ninja:

I'm keeping my eyes on you...

Original post by Tootles
I have a feeling that something similar to the Heisenberg Principle applies to the fundamental laws of reality, which means that either there won't be a completely definitive set of answers or they'll appear to shift as we keep chasing them.

In order words, even if I get my wish, the results will not be what is expected because of my choosing to be immortal? Or did I completely misunderstand that?
There is no cure for death and there never will be. Every living thing will die one day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samzy21
There is no cure for death and there never will be. Every living thing will die one day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said there was. :dontknow:
I'm keeping my eyes on you...

In order words, even if I get my wish, the results will not be what is expected because of my choosing to be immortal? Or did I completely misunderstand that?
Bit of both.
Original post by Tootles
Bit of both.

So what exactly does it mean?
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't know that. Stem cell research will almost certainly make biological immortality a reality for humans in the near future.
You don't know that. Stem cell research will almost certainly make biological immortality a reality for humans in the near future.

"Almost certainly" means I am right. Living forever is not possible no matter what scientists come up with. When a person's time comes to die, they will die.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samzy21
"Almost certainly" means I am right. Living forever is not possible no matter what scientists come up with. When a person's time comes to die, they will die.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does "almost certainly" mean you're right?

Sorry, but you don't know that. You're just making naive, uninformed claims when science actually goes against you. Immortality will probably be a reality soon and your primitive, religious notions of death won't stop that progress.
How does "almost certainly" mean you're right?

Sorry, but you don't know that. You're just making naive, uninformed claims when science actually goes against you. Immortality will probably be a reality soon and your primitive, religious notions of death won't stop that progress.

you're not certain either. You have no proof immortality will exist one day, no one does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Up to a certain point, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest