Got my first part time permanent job today, AMA

🙋🏻📦🎉✨

Scroll to see replies

Where?
Reply 2
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
Where?

Next as a Stockroom Assistant :smile:
Please tell me you're not in like Year 13 and want to do this alongside your studies?:colone:
Reply 4
Original post by azizadil1998
Please tell me you're not in like Year 13 and want to do this alongside your studies?:colone:

LOL no! I'm a second year, I'm going to be working 16 hours a week which should be okay :smile:
Original post by Ishax
LOL no! I'm a second year, I'm going to be working 16 hours a week which should be okay :smile:

Oh 2nd year university? I just flopped hahah - I'm in Year 13, changed from a private school to a state school in Sutton, Surrey as I moved and I see so many people in my year who attempt to balance academic, social, and work life in Year 13 which I really find pointless and stupid (unless they really need the money).
Reply 6
Oh 2nd year university? I just flopped hahah - I'm in Year 13, changed from a private school to a state school in Sutton, Surrey as I moved and I see so many people in my year who attempt to balance academic, social, and work life in Year 13 which I really find pointless and stupid (unless they really need the money).

Oh right. I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Yeah, I'm studying Computing. I will be working 3 days a week, 4 if they need me on Sunday.

I really need the experience, I have experience already but not in retail. By having retail experience will be good on my CV and considering it's Next. I'm just glad it's not an temporary contracts and I can work after Christmas too.

I've heard Stockroom Assistant to be more demanding than Sales Assistant but I can't actually confirm until I start, even more stuff to add to my CV :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Would you not recommend this then? I'm in year 13 and have been applying for jobs recently but keep getting rejected even though I have good grades and work experience, so maybe it's the universe telling me I should just stick to my studies :biggrin:
I don't need the money, but would like the money.
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Would you not recommend this then? I'm in year 13 and have been applying for jobs recently but keep getting rejected even though I have good grades and work experience, so maybe it's the universe telling me I should just stick to my studies :biggrin:
I don't need the money, but would like the money.

What subjects are you taking and what are you aiming/wanting to get? I think it's just too much added stress, e.g. working weekends means you don't get time to revise when you're supposed to, or if you're like me you don't get time to relax (I study during/after school) which is valuable imo. What I would recommend is maybe try a casual job such as in hospitality (idk where you live but for example most stadiums have casual catering jobs where you choose when to work and they just send you work offers) and these are much much more flexible and easier to get into. Alternatively, get an xmas temp job for the money/experience, or wait till summer and get a job when it may be easier and you can work more and without academic stress (I did this, worked at chessington theme park, made £1500 in under 2 months). I think its too much of a risk especially if you're taking difficult a levels, you lose valuable time, and especially if the job isn't close - you get tired from commuting, even if it close you get tired, e.g. weekend you work a 10am - 6pm shift, are you really going to be able to study when you get home? Anyways, hope it helps if you got any questions ask.
When are you starting work then?
What subjects are you taking and what are you aiming/wanting to get? I think it's just too much added stress, e.g. working weekends means you don't get time to revise when you're supposed to, or if you're like me you don't get time to relax (I study during/after school) which is valuable imo. What I would recommend is maybe try a casual job such as in hospitality (idk where you live but for example most stadiums have casual catering jobs where you choose when to work and they just send you work offers) and these are much much more flexible and easier to get into. Alternatively, get an xmas temp job for the money/experience, or wait till summer and get a job when it may be easier and you can work more and without academic stress (I did this, worked at chessington theme park, made £1500 in under 2 months). I think its too much of a risk especially if you're taking difficult a levels, you lose valuable time, and especially if the job isn't close - you get tired from commuting, even if it close you get tired, e.g. weekend you work a 10am - 6pm shift, are you really going to be able to study when you get home? Anyways, hope it helps if you got any questions ask.

I'm taking maths, physics and psychology and aiming for AAB or above. I would like to get an xmas temp job and/or a summer job but jobs are soooo oversubscribed where I live (Costa had 1000+ applications for one position) so I'll just see what I can do!
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I'm taking maths, physics and psychology and aiming for AAB or above. I would like to get an xmas temp job and/or a summer job but jobs are soooo oversubscribed where I live (Costa had 1000+ applications for one position) so I'll just see what I can do!

Oh that's a good combination! Xmas temp is difficult, summer is relatively easier - do you live in London? If not - what county? I assume you don't want people/me to know the area so county should be fine lol.
Reply 12
Original post by Ayaz789
When are you starting work then?

I have my induction on Saturday so I assume I'll start the following week?
Original post by Ishax
I have my induction on Saturday so I assume I'll start the following week?

Yeahh most likely :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Ayaz789
Yeahh most likely :biggrin:

Kind of excited (sounds sad, I know) lol!
Congtraz!
How did you get this job? For example, did you get a part time job before this? Did you did some work experience? What grades did you get in your GCSE's/ A - Levels.

Kinda personal, sorry. Just wanted to know because I'm planning to get a full-time job soon and I want to know how it's like. You understand?
Original post by Ishax
Kind of excited (sounds sad, I know) lol!

Well i have applied Tescos for a part time job so im waiting for them to reply haha :biggrin: lol
Reply 17
Original post by Ayaz789
Well i have applied Tescos for a part time job so im waiting for them to reply haha :biggrin: lol

Good luck :smile: what's the process like?
Reply 18
Original post by ak143244
Congtraz!
How did you get this job? For example, did you get a part time job before this? Did you did some work experience? What grades did you get in your GCSE's/ A - Levels.

Kinda personal, sorry. Just wanted to know because I'm planning to get a full-time job soon and I want to know how it's like. You understand?

Thanks! That's fine. You just need to apply online via there website, you need to take English Maths and Personality test. English and Maths is combined, it's pretty easy so you'll be fine. You apply to a position, then they should contact you within two weeks to conduct a telephone interview. If you get a email, then it's not good news I'm afraid :frown:

After the telephone interview, its team assessment which I had today and I got told I have the job. I also got £10 on gift card and £10 in cash for attending :smile:

What job are you looking to apply for?

EDIT: Oops forgot to mention, they don't ask for qualifications or experience :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ishax
Good luck :smile: what's the process like?

Ive applied online so im waiting for their response:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending