The Student Room Group

GCSE Physics. Should I be worried?

I'm taking Triple Science GCSE this year, and I've realised that my class hasn't covered all of Physics 2 yet- I have absolutely zero clues about radioactivity and nuclear fission. In my other science classes, we're on C3 and B3. My Physics class can be disruptive, and I'm wondering if that has made us behind schedule, as I talked to a friend from another school and they were really suprised to hear I hadn't learnt all of P2. It does seem like there's less content for P3, so maybe it's not such a rush to finish...?

I want to study it at A level, so I really want to do well in the exam (and generally know my stuff!). Am I being paranoid, or is this something I should talk to my teacher about?
Reply 1
learn it yourself ; get a revision guide and spend an hour a day going over it
Throwback to GCSEs lol, although my physics teacher was good, a textbook for you will be fine for you to self teach if you're worried.
You're way behind. I'd actually worry,
Original post by A.J.Rimmer
I'm taking Triple Science GCSE this year, and I've realised that my class hasn't covered all of Physics 2 yet- I have absolutely zero clues about radioactivity and nuclear fission. In my other science classes, we're on C3 and B3. My Physics class can be disruptive, and I'm wondering if that has made us behind schedule, as I talked to a friend from another school and they were really suprised to hear I hadn't learnt all of P2. It does seem like there's less content for P3, so maybe it's not such a rush to finish...?

I want to study it at A level, so I really want to do well in the exam (and generally know my stuff!). Am I being paranoid, or is this something I should talk to my teacher about?

I would really start thinking about teaching yourself and starting now would be the perfect time to do so. I had a similar problem when it came to my Biology GCSE. We barely covered anything is class properly for the two years so I had to resort to teaching it myself and I really wished I started early. You don't need to go crazy over it as you still have quite a bit of time, maybe cover one or two topics every week?

What exam board are you with? I might have a few resources leftover that it could help you if you do decide to teach it to yourself
Reply 5
Original post by trabajadora
I would really start thinking about teaching yourself and starting now would be the perfect time to do so. I had a similar problem when it came to my Biology GCSE. We barely covered anything is class properly for the two years so I had to resort to teaching it myself and I really wished I started early. You don't need to go crazy over it as you still have quite a bit of time, maybe cover one or two topics every week?

What exam board are you with? I might have a few resources leftover that it could help you if you do decide to teach it to yourself

I'm doing AQA- thanks for the advice; I'll make a start on the content!
Reply 6
I'd do some of your own work at home but a lot of Physics at GCSE is being to use the data sheet appropriately and generally learning facts about why this that and that happens.

Don't stress yourself pal! You'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 7
ahahahhahahahahah

buy the cgp revision guide
read it page by page, making notes as you go along
MEMORISE THE WHOLE DAMN BOOK
then do all the past papers
do not listen to your teachers, teach yourself
Original post by A.J.Rimmer

If you truly hard and get the necessary help you'll be fine dw
At the start of y10, I was averaging at F Igot an A at GCSE
I got a low D in my yr11 mock after getting fluctuating grades throughout
I found a tutor 2 months before my first exam and started it a week later 7 weeks of 1 hour lessons per week actually did wonders
I used to think I did not understand topics but it was actually all in there, I just lacked the ability to cope with exam q's as i guess I was just so scared about making errors
My tutition lessons consisted mostly of past papers (I got through 5 I think) but my tutor didn't care what I thought the answers were he just told me to say what I think which really boosted my confidence. He then made sure I understood, I necessary giving me copies to read and sometimes do a few q's but majority of that hour was exam focus
It really helped at the most crucial time for me
You will be doing the reformed GCSE I assume so also make sure you know all the formulae and HOW TO USE THEM!
Don't think that just because you know what it is, you can easily be able to use- (we didn't need to memorise that stuff but I made that same mistake at the start
Good luck :smile:
We had the same problem last year as we were far behind in biology and physics, what i'd suggest is that you start reading ahead although i wouldn't worry about it too much yet as chapter three is really short and is usually mostly theory rather than equations and stuff, You'll be fine!! Just revise the revision guides thorough and do past paper questions and you'll be set!

Quick Reply

Latest