The Student Room Group

Getting ahead

Hi :smile:

I'm in my first year of 6th form at a comprehensive school, and I've decided that I want to study medicine (so beginning academic year 2018/19).

I need to know what little things I can do to get ahead of other applicants like me. I was lucky enough to get a 3-day GP shadowing experience in the summer, and I'm currently in the process of applying for a 2-day hospital work experience. I've been trying to get some long-term work experience at a care home, but they either don't reply, or they say I need to be over 18 :frown:

This time next year (!!!), I would have sent off my UCAS application, but I want to know things I can do right here right now to make a truly competitive application, for example, books to read and ways to prepare for the admissions tests/interviews. I know it's all really early but I'm taking no chances! :biggrin:

Any help would be super appreciated.

Thanks in advance! x
(edited 7 years ago)
i'm a med student and id recommend
volunteer as an event first aider with the red cross and u get first aid training for free
get a job in a hospital
volunteer in a care home/hospice/ residential home
nuffield research project or any other research project
"medic insight" days
open days
talks and lectures by people at uni
practice the ukcat
get a volunteering award for example the saltire award or somethingd
dofe
sport/music
get dem As

Just do as much as possible and become as perfect a human being as possible :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by HopefullyOneDay
i'm a med student and id recommend
volunteer as an event first aider with the red cross and u get first aid training for free
get a job in a hospital
volunteer in a care home/hospice/ residential home
nuffield research project or any other research project
"medic insight" days
open days
talks and lectures by people at uni
practice the ukcat
get a volunteering award for example the saltire award or somethingd
dofe
sport/music
get dem As

Just do as much as possible and become as perfect a human being as possible :wink:

Okay so if we treat that as a checklist, I'm not doing too badly :wink:

Could you tell me more about the "medic insight" days? What are they? Oh and also the research projects?

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by effieb
Okay so if we treat that as a checklist, I'm not doing too badly :wink:

Could you tell me more about the "medic insight" days? What are they? Oh and also the research projects?

Thanks! :smile:

Good I'm glad you're doing good :smile:

Google nuffield and then medic insight days. I think medic insight MIGHT be scottish though...
Nuffield research project you do after you second-last year study and it's during the summer. Quite a few people had it.

I really enjoyed working in the hospital gave me real healthcare experience, money and weekly motivation. And the money is soooo good.

where you wanting to apply?
Reply 4
Original post by HopefullyOneDay
Good I'm glad you're doing good :smile:

Google nuffield and then medic insight days. I think medic insight MIGHT be scottish though...
Nuffield research project you do after you second-last year study and it's during the summer. Quite a few people had it.

I really enjoyed working in the hospital gave me real healthcare experience, money and weekly motivation. And the money is soooo good.

where you wanting to apply?

Thank you :biggrin:
How did you manage to get paid for your hospital work experience?

I haven't had any predicted grades yet, but I managed to get a decent number of A*s at GCSE so I'm hoping it'll be able to achieve at least AAA . . . I've been pretty interested in Imperial, and also Cardiff is starting to seem interesting too! I'd definitely look into universities with slightly lower entry grades in case it all goes horribly wrong... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending