The Student Room Group

Cambridge Human, Social and Political Sciences (HSPS) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm also applying to HSPS but with an open application (regret it now). My predictions are the equivalent of A*AA or A*A*A, not sure. And my thoughts are: my God this course seems amazing and I'd do anything to get into it!
Original post by indvolda
Hi, I'm also applying to HSPS but with an open application (regret it now). My predictions are the equivalent of A*AA or A*A*A, not sure. And my thoughts are: my God this course seems amazing and I'd do anything to get into it!

Yh I'm the same. Tho i am more aiming towards politixs pathway as opposed to tripos.
Original post by HAMIN99
Yh I'm the same. Tho i am more aiming towards politixs pathway as opposed to tripos.

Yeah exactly. I love how we can choose to specialize early or later, and still have the opportunity to study such a broad range of subjects. But from what I've seen on the application statistics, there's actually more people admitted to Law (in terms of percentage) the HSPS... Anyway haha, we'll see :smile:
Hiii
Predicted: A*A*A*A*A* (equivalent)
College: King's
Thoughts: I want to study politics/IR but I also don't want to limit myself to just that so this course is perfect tbh. I am scared for the admissions test though... and the interview and the entire process in general really.
Wow! Amazing predictions!
I am really dreading the admissions test too! It's really tough and vigarous but dw you don't need incredibly high % like 90. As they say on website relativley few are expected to gain above 80%. But just aim for the highest and try your best. Good Luck!
Original post by HAMIN99
Wow! Amazing predictions!
I am really dreading the admissions test too! It's really tough and vigarous but dw you don't need incredibly high % like 90. As they say on website relativley few are expected to gain above 80%. But just aim for the highest and try your best. Good Luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too!
On the main forum they're saying decision day is January 12th, which is the day before my birthday so I hope everything goes alright D:
Hi, I'm Elspeth
College: Girton
Predictions: A*A*A*A* (Sociology, politics, law, epq)
Thoughts: Oh MAN I'm TERRIFIED, the specimen paper questions are so so difficult

Original post by christiha
Thanks, good luck to you too!
On the main forum they're saying decision day is January 12th, which is the day before my birthday so I hope everything goes alright D:

Birthday twins!
Original post by Elspethhh

Birthday twins!

Nice! Hopefully we both get in then
Reply 868
Hi, I am Yo-Yo!
College: Emmanuel
Predictions: A*(Maths) A*(Econ) A(Psy.) A(Chemistry) B(Geo)

Love the course and students could even borrow papers from other disciplines as well!
However, the admission test is just putting me off...I just tried the specimen and the percentage is horrible for Section 1. How's everyone doing on the multiple choices? I got just beyond 60%...
Original post by Yo217

However, the admission test is just putting me off...I just tried the specimen and the percentage is horrible for Section 1. How's everyone doing on the multiple choices? I got just beyond 60%...

Cambridge says on their website "Experience with similar assessments and from trials indicates that, on average, typical applicants to the most highly selective undergraduate courses (who are by definition academically very able) will gain approximately half of the available marks. The best applicants will score more highly, but only relatively few are expected to gain more than 80% of the available marks."

I think your score is fineee.
I did it yesterday and I got 72%
Reply 870
Cambridge says on their website "Experience with similar assessments and from trials indicates that, on average, typical applicants to the most highly selective undergraduate courses (who are by definition academically very able) will gain approximately half of the available marks. The best applicants will score more highly, but only relatively few are expected to gain more than 80% of the available marks."

I think your score is fineee.
I did it yesterday and I got 72%

WOW you are just IMPRESSIVE... Good luck to you!
Original post by Spaghetti_Oh
Hi everyone, I'm Maha.
College: Pembroke
Predictions: A*A*A*
Thoughts: So nervous for the assessment. How are people preparing for the essay portion? Especially those interested in Politics/IR! Would love to know, as I'm unsure whether what I'm doing is actually helping me at all.
Good Luck :smile:

I'm generally just checking that I know what's happening in the news at the moment. It's most likely worth having a good bit of knowledge on topical events so I'd say maybe Brexit/the refugee crisis/similar things in the news. (This isn't me predicting the questions, just examples of things that could be useful to know prior to the assessment.) Probably basic information too but checking you have a structure you know how to use beforehand so you can spend time in the assessment writing and not thinking about the structure.
Is everyone else also doing the test tomorrow? Best of luck guys! I'm so afraid.
Original post by boombayah
Is everyone else also doing the test tomorrow? Best of luck guys! I'm so afraid.

Let's just say I'm dying
Original post by indvolda
Let's just say I'm dying

saaame! Good luck everyone!!! It will all be over soon and then we'll never have to (or be able to because of DPF agreements) speak about it again.
saaame! Good luck everyone!!! It will all be over soon and then we'll never have to (or be able to because of DPF agreements) speak about it again.

Haha I know, I was thinking about that. It will be so weird now, like perfectly knowing we all want to talk about it but we have to pretend nothing happened. But I guess we'll manage that :smile:
Please note, anyone taking the Cambridge HSPS Admissions Assessment (HSPSAA) tomorrow must not discuss the assessment or their answers via TSR forums, PMs or any other means. Doing so risks compromising the standards of admission to Cambridge, and could harm the interpretation of your own performance. Your college may treat any breach of confidentiality as a very serious matter.

This restriction applies until the end of the current admissions cycle: 1st September 2017

(And good luck! :smile: )
Reply 877
Hi!

Name: Rupert
College: Corpus Christie
Predictions: A*A*A
Freaking out a bit over the admissions test cause there's only one practice paper for it this year and I did it and got a slightly disappointing result. Now I'm just scanning the internet for reading comprehension practice tests to see if there's anything resembling the Cambridge one, so far nothing.

FYI I actually live in Cambridge so any questions about the social aspect of the city, I'm your man :P
Original post by kolibr1

FYI I actually live in Cambridge so any questions about the social aspect of the city, I'm your man :P

Nice! I am actually so miffed that if I get to interview I'll only get to spend one jet lagged day in Cambridge because I have to hurry back to school to do my mocks. I also have no idea what I'd do for the rest of the day so suggestions would be nice :smile:
Reply 879
Nice! I am actually so miffed that if I get to interview I'll only get to spend one jet lagged day in Cambridge because I have to hurry back to school to do my mocks. I also have no idea what I'd do for the rest of the day so suggestions would be nice :smile:

Depends, are you into sightseeing or drinking lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending