The Student Room Group

Check the GCSE requirements carefully .......

Be aware that, regardless of your stonker A level predictions, you can/will be rejected automatically if you do not have the GCSE grades required by each Uni/course.

You need to check, and double check, the exact GCSE subjects/grades required for each Uni and each course. Somewhere on the individual course page (usually further down than the list of A level, IB or BTEC requirements) will be the stated GCSE requirement. And Unis do NOT state these requirements for fun - they mean it. So never, ever, assume that they will ignore the fact that you have C grade English and they want a B etc because you have other subjects at A*, or amazing A level predictions. They won't.

If you need to retake a GCSE(s) this year in order to meet the requirement that is usually fine. Check with the Uni. Then talk to your school, get entered for the exam, and make sure that you list the retake on your UCAS application (your teacher will also need to give a grade prediction). Any offer you get will include the GCSE as a condition alongside the A level, IB or BTEC conditions.

Every year heaps of people are rejected simply because they don't meet the GCSE requirements - don't let it be you !
Reply 1
Thanks for the heads-up 👍
What if you meet 5/6 of the requirements, and the requirement you missed was missed by one grade?
I spoke to LSE on the phone about my English lang grade (C) whereas their requirement is a (B), they said that's a disadvantage as I haven't met the requirements, however, it's not 100% no. They'll look to see if it's just an anomaly, they'll see the school you did your GCSEs, they'll see the area you live in, they'll read your PS (of course as it's the only thing they're judging you off from), they'll see any extenuating/mitigating circumstances and also they told me that my english lit grade will make my application stronger as I got an A.
However, because it's a holistic approach it's not a straight now (but this is only what LSE said) but yes many do reject automatically!

Also they told me, maybe LSE could be my 'risk' choice. Really helpful people :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Libaan
What if you meet 5/6 of the requirements, and the requirement you missed was missed by one grade?

If it's a GCSE requirement then resit the GCSE.
Original post by PQ
If it's a GCSE requirement then resit the GCSE.

It was a triple science subject ( physics), and I don't know what mark i've achieved in the separate modules
Original post by Libaan

Its a very risky choice.

The fact that they have specified a grade means that it is an important subject(s) - ie. not just '5 GCSEs at C or above'. In your case, they want science skills, not to be 'difficult' but because they know that those without this will struggle on the course.

They could simply reject you for this straight away - making this a totally wasted choice. This is especially likely if its a Russell Group or other 'top' UNi and/or a competitive subject (Medicine, Law, Economics, Engineering, English etc).

If you can live with the risk, then its okay to apply but prepare yourself for No. And make sure that your other 4 choices are 'safer'.
I like to live life on the edge :smile:
Reply 8
helpful
True
Hi guys, basically when I was in school I was really lazy and did not know the consiqunces of failing my GCSEs.

Therefore I left with the following grades
Igcse English C
Maths E
French F
Geography E
RE D
Btec applied science Pass
Btec sport Pass
Btec IT pass

As you can see my grades are absolutely diabolical!! After realising I screwed up I retook my gcse maths and obtained a grade C.

Because i now had English and maths at grade C I was able to study the Btec extended diploma in engineering (level 3). After successfully achieving all distinctions in the first year I am predicted D* D* D* including distinctions in both math units. I also done many extra curricular activities such as summers schools, EPQ, work experience and being a student ambassador. I have a great teacher reference aswell.

My question is, will Universities still consider me/ give me a offer even though I got really bad GCSEs. I have checked the unis website and they all seem to say English and maths at grade C which I have. I also exceed their level 3 requirements. I want to study the Beng in Mechanical engineering at one of the following unis
University of Birmingham
Aston university
University of Nottingham
Birmingham city
University of hull
PLEASE HELP!🤕 I'm really worried I won't get into uni😥
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Azizul98
Hi guys, basically when I was in school I was really lazy and did not know the consiqunces of failing my GCSEs.

Igcse English C
Maths E
French F
Geography E
RE D
Btec sport Pass
Btec IT pass

As you can see my grades are absolutely diabolical!! After realising I screwed up I retook my gcse maths and obtained a grade C.

Because i now had English and maths at grade C I was able to study the Btec extended diploma in engineering (level 3). After successfully achieving all distinctions in the first year I am predicted D* D* D* including distinctions in both math units. I also done many extra curricular activities such as summers schools, EPQ, work experience and being a student ambassador. I have a great teacher reference aswell.

My question is, will Universities still consider me/ give me a offer even though I got really bad GCSEs. I have checked the unis website and they all seem to say English and maths at grade C which I have. I also exceed their level 3 requirements. I want to study the Beng in Mechanical engineering at one of the following unis
University of Birmingham
Aston university
University of Nottingham
Birmingham city
University of hull

Don't automatically assume that you will not get into university just because you do not have the grades! I would highly recommend trying to gain some experience (although I understand that this is not always possible without the right qualifications!). Also email a variety of universities who offer the course. Email their admissions team (or if they provide the head of the department etc email them), tell them your current qualifications, what you are expected to get, any professional experience (even a work experience will do) and ask if they will still consider your application or what they recommend to boosting your grades so you can get it. Don't just email the five that you would most like to go to. Email a wide variety, even aim for the ones with really strict entry requirements (they may be more able to provide you with advice on how to get in).
Some might even consider you! I am currently trying to get into university based off of just my portfolio and work experience and to my surprise I actually have quite a few universities getting back to me saying they would consider me and I should apply! So I highly recommend it. If not, have you considered doing an apprenticeship and then going onto university? An apprenticeship would give you both higher grades AND work experience (which is what I am using to boost my application).
well, of the list that you gave, Birmingham City I know accepted a friend with English GCSE at grade 'D',
the fact that you have English GCSE at grade 'C' and now Mathematics GCSE at grade 'C', means that many universities will just consider you on your 'A' level results or your BTec grades & other skills. You have met the GSCE requirements, now try and get good Tec grades!

one minor thing with Brum Central, - they have about 8 locations for their campus, and their student housing was quite a bit more expensive than University of Birmingham - who had everything on their single campus, so - of course you'll get into uni - but you should try and choose the one you prefer that meets all YOUR requirements!
Original post by Azizul98

Igcse English C
Maths E
French F
Geography E
RE D
Btec sport Pass
Btec IT pass

University of Birmingham
Aston university
University of Nottingham
Birmingham city
University of hull

Check their websites or ring them up directly

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/mechanical-engineering/mechanical-engineering-beng.aspx?OpenSection=EntryRequirements says that D*D*D* AND your BTEC containing enough mathematical content AND passing their maths aptitude test is required.
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/mechanicalmaterialsandmanufacturingengineering/beng-mechanical-engineering.aspx specified maths and physics A level and doesn't mention the acceptability of BTECs so you'll need to contact them

http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/eas/beng-mechanical-engineering/ is more promising but I'd recommend contacting them - if they ask for Maths and Phys A level then you need to check your BTEC content is compatible.

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/mechanical-engineering-beng-meng-2017-18 is very clear - if you have the right units and the right grades for those units then you're golden

http://beta.www.hull.ac.uk/Study/UG/2017/mechanical-engineering.aspx#entry is similarly clear
Always check with the Uni before you apply if you are missing any of the required qualifications - they will soon tell you if its worth you applying or not. If you find this out first, you may have saved yourself a wasted choice,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending