The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Is Cvmail working for anyone?
Original post by *Stefan*
So you only included things like explanation of education gaps/extenuating circumstances as they mention?

Also, my CV is currently 2 full pages long - reckon that should be fine?

yep - it seemed more emphasis was placed on grades and usually places are explicit if they want you to go into why them , but if you want to then go for it. i just hate cover letters haha

my CV is also 2 full pages - qualifications are a killer. it's fine :smile:
Original post by vacschemestudent
Yes, you are right. But it depends, some people wrote standard cover letters (like why law why slaughters) and got through to the interview stage and for others, including myself, i simply wrote something along the line of im applying for your tc and have attached my cv and look forward to hearing from you blah blah. So it is up to you, but if you choose the former, just be prepared to be asked questions on your cover letter

I see... I decided to do the same as you (+an explanation of another qualification). I guess the interview (if I get one that is) will still focus on the usual stuff that most people mention in their cover letter, such as why law, why SM and so on.

Original post by hotliketea
yep - it seemed more emphasis was placed on grades and usually places are explicit if they want you to go into why them , but if you want to then go for it. i just hate cover letters haha

my CV is also 2 full pages - qualifications are a killer. it's fine :smile:

Alright cool... sent it off and just included the basic info. Best of luck with your application! :smile:
Hey everyone!

I will be attending an interactive applications workshop at Shearman & Sterling. A little unsure about what is expected in terms of preparation for questions. Also will it be assessed?

Thanks!
Reply 284
Did anyone get the "we have requested your academic reference" email from Jones day and not get an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grisham
Did anyone get the "we have requested your academic reference" email from Jones day and not get an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heyy!

I did! But then I think I received this email when others were already getting interviews and when it was posted on here that apparently all positions for WVS were full! And then I got the rejection the other day! What about yourself??
Reply 286
Original post by graduated2016
Heyy!

I did! But then I think I received this email when others were already getting interviews and when it was posted on here that apparently all positions for WVS were full! And then I got the rejection the other day! What about yourself??

Do they not automatically consider you for their other VS since upon applying they ask you for preferences?
Reply 287
Original post by graduated2016
Heyy!

Have only got the first email, but wondering what likely outcomes will be
Reply 288
I may be overthinking this but I am trying to answer this question:
What do you think are the main opportunities and challenges facing our firm and our clients in the next five years?

Do you reckon they want multiple stories? or one story with multiple opportunities and challenges?
Reply 289
Has anyone completed an assessment centre at BLP? If so, what can I expect from the written and presentation exercises?
Reply 290
Just ****ed up on my app for Squires - wrote 'vacation scheme' rather than 'placement scheme'. Sod's law that I noticed an hour after sending the app rather than during the week I spent preparing it. Anyone know if this'll be a massive issue? I mean it seems to be a fairly banal point to reject some for out of hand but then it's also a fairly stupid and avoidable mistake to make (it's all over their website...) so with this competition God knows...
PFO from Jones Day vac scheme
Reply 292
Original post by hodgey111
PFO from Jones Day vac scheme

Post interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grisham
Post interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah post-interview. Was expected to be honest
Reply 294
I applied to Jones Day and BLP at the beginning of Sept and haven't heard anything at all. Should I assume I will most likely be rejected?
Original post by ayerf89
I applied to Jones Day and BLP at the beginning of Sept and haven't heard anything at all. Should I assume I will most likely be rejected?

Was it for the winter scheme at JD?

If not, they may process applications later on.
Reply 296
Original post by *Stefan*
Was it for the winter scheme at JD?

If not, they may process applications later on.

Yeh winter scheme. I have heard from some people they won't even send out rejections.
Original post by ayerf89
Yeh winter scheme. I have heard from some people they won't even send out rejections.

Ah that sucks - if I were you, I'd definitely send an email.
Original post by katherine.l1995
Magic circle, Silver circle and US firms won't take anyone without at least 65% overall and 2.1 in almost all modules! AAA-AAB in A levels also required.

Not true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what firms interview on a rolling basis?

Also I applied for Jones day summer vac scheme they requested my reference 2nd October and said my reference had 10 days to respond. I still have not heard anything? Hmm...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending