The Student Room Group

Advice needed!-Theft occurred in the student Hall at university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by celiacheung85
I have already called the police. The warden of our hall said that the theft occurred probably due to someone (That includes me) living in the hall forgot to close the corridor door that day (But there is no evidence because there is no CCTV at that area). I am not from Scotland. I have worked as an insurance agent for a short time in my home country. If the theft occurred due to one of the students forgot to close the corridor door that day, the insurance company is not going to compensate me for the theft since the insurance company would consider that the theft occurred due to the careless mistake of the student.

If the items were in your room,...all that matters is that you closed YOUR door.
Original post by 999tigger
Did you even read the OP?

Technically, it's her own fault and I'm just trying to help her. If she brought a Samsung, then it's just basic common sense to install a tracker on it and get insurance.
Original post by Ishax
Technically, it's her own fault and I'm just trying to help her. If she brought a Samsung, then it's just basic common sense to install a tracker on it and get insurance.

So you didnt read it otherwise you wouldnt have gone on about how much your iphone is worth, when in fact she clearly states it was Samsung.

Telling her to install a tracker and get insurance is pretty lame advice to someone after the event. Dont you think she knows that now?
So you didnt read it otherwise you wouldnt have gone on about how much your iphone is worth, when in fact she clearly states it was Samsung.

Telling her to install a tracker and get insurance is pretty lame advice to someone after the event. Dont you think she knows that now?

Why are you annoyed about me talking about my iPhone?

She should have also closed her corridor door. At the end of the day, she's at university she should have known about this before she started. Its basic common sense. Fair enough, insurance is expensive but it's basic common sense to install a tracker at least?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ishax
Why are you annoyed about me talking about my iPhone?

She should have also closed her corridor door. At the end of the day, she's at university she should have known about this before she started. Its basic common sense.

Because it involved Samsung. Uf youd read the thread then you can see she did have racking software on ther computer and she has given the address to the polie.

I thought your aim was to provide advice. telling someone after the event that they should have closed the door or they should have had insurance is hardly helpful advice. Would you find it helpful if someone came and told you after the even you should have done this or that?
Thank you. I have not installed tracking software in my phone....unfortunately.....

Because it involved Samsung. Uf youd read the thread then you can see she did have racking software on ther computer and she has given the address to the polie.

I thought your aim was to provide advice. telling someone after the event that they should have closed the door or they should have had insurance is hardly helpful advice. Would you find it helpful if someone came and told you after the even you should have done this or that?

She tracked her laptop, not her phone. So she knew about tracking, but didn't have one on her "Samsung" phone. I guess this will be a lesson for her to make sure she has tracking and insurance.

Plus, if I lost my belongings due to my stupidity I wouldn't make a thread about it. There's not much she can do as there's no CCTV and she didn't lock her door. Everyone will deny it. There's not much that you can do either unless you're willing to replace her belongings? :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ishax
x

x

Come on guys - let's focus on helping the OP not bickering :smile:
Original post by Fox Corner
Come on guys - let's focus on helping the OP not bickering :smile:

I agree :smile: although I didn't start it lol
Original post by Ishax
She tracked her laptop, not her phone. So she knew about tracking, but didn't have one on her "Samsung" phone. I guess this will be a lesson for her to make sure she has tracking and insurance.

Plus, if I lost my belongings due to my stupidity I wouldn't make a thread about it. There's not much she can do as there's no CCTV and she didn't lock her door. Everyone will deny it. There's not much that you can do either unless you're willing to replace her belongings? :h:

You even just quoted me, where I pointed out it was her computer.
So basically all your posts have been unhelpful other than to say after it has happened what she should have done. Nice one.

Sorry fox corner its just irritating when you get people like this being unhelpful. O hardly think calling someone stupid when they are going through a seriously stressful event is what i would consider helpful.
You even just quoted me, where I pointed out it was her computer.
So basically all your posts have been unhelpful other than to say after it has happened what she should have done. Nice one.

Sorry fox corner its just irritating when you get people like this being unhelpful. O hardly think calling someone stupid when they are going through a seriously stressful event is what i would consider helpful.

It could be helpful for the future? Ah well.. Toodles :smile:
Since I am not informed about the changed lock setting, I do not know that I need to scan the lock with my key card in order to lock it (Normally, when you close the door, the door would be locked automatically (The kitchen door and the corridor door still use this lock setting). A lot of people got themselves locked out from their room last year so that is probably the reason why the university changes the lock setting this year.

But I was not informed about this change until it is too late.....

If you weren't told/shown how to lock your door (and it was different to the locks on all the other doors) then I would imagine your landlord will have some responsibility *IF* the insurance policy doesn't pay out (and often it will - I had my handbag stolen from my house while I was sat in the front room, I would only lock the front door at night and someone took advantage. The police gave me a crime number and my insurance covered the loss).

Note - often your landlord will be a company wholly owned by your university (and so it's slightly different to dealing directly with the uni). If you're from outside the UK then I would recommend contacting the International team at your uni as well to let them know what's happened. I'm sure they'll be sympathetic and help you to sort out what can be sorted and they'll be able to make sure that the unusual lock is brought in to the Welcome/freshers information to avoid this happening to other people in future.
Original post by PQ
If you weren't told/shown how to lock your door (and it was different to the locks on all the other doors) then I would imagine your landlord will have some responsibility *IF* the insurance policy doesn't pay out (and often it will - I had my handbag stolen from my house while I was sat in the front room, I would only lock the front door at night and someone took advantage. The police gave me a crime number and my insurance covered the loss).

Note - often your landlord will be a company wholly owned by your university (and so it's slightly different to dealing directly with the uni). If you're from outside the UK then I would recommend contacting the International team at your uni as well to let them know what's happened. I'm sure they'll be sympathetic and help you to sort out what can be sorted and they'll be able to make sure that the unusual lock is brought in to the Welcome/freshers information to avoid this happening to other people in future.

Every door has a lock, People lock their doors at night and when they go out.
There is no way round this ....the girl did not lock her door when she was inside her room that night....
Original post by Theplace
Every door has a lock, People lock their doors at night and when they go out.
There is no way round this ....the girl did not lock her door when she was inside her room that night....

The lock was counter-intuitive, used the opposite mechanism to other locks in the building and the OP wasn't informed of the fact that it was different. The OP assumed (understandably) that the door would lock when closed like the other doors. It's a good idea to raise this with the landlord and the welcome team to ensure that future residents are informed of the counter-intuitive locking mechanism on room doors.

And - as I said - insurance companies will often pay out for thefts from unlocked rooms/houses. Especially if you were present at the time of the theft.
All android phones have built in tracking.

Google android device manager
Hi,

The tracking function is one of the functions for the antivirus software I used for my laptop. Unfortunately, I have not done that with my phones.....(Stupid, I know....but I know better now).
In regards of that, the university should have informed me about the new lock setting change. I hope that the administration is going to do the right thing next year.....
Hi,

The tracking function is one of the functions for the antivirus software I used for my laptop. Unfortunately, I have not done that with my phones.....(Stupid, I know....but I know better now).
In regards of that, the university should have informed me about the new lock setting change. I hope that the administration is going to do the right thing next year.....

If you track the laptop....you might find the other items.
Hi,

Well, you must be a sound sleeper and someone must have had balls to enter your room.
Hi,

What can I say? I was seriously ill (Chest infection)......
Hi,

I have already used the tracking function to find the address of the thief, gave it to the police but I have heard nothing from the police.
I would say that this person knew that I was seriously ill at that time (I had very serious coughing fits at night during that period. It was nowhere as bad during daytime).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending