The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zamestaneh
It's just kohl, bruh :hand:

[scroll] :flutter: :whip: :whip2: [/scroll]
Original post by mkap
Really, i expected Riaydh to be really strict, i mean they apparently do public floggings and punishments there

There's more to Saudi Arabia than people getting flogged, not sure why this point is always raised. Riyadh is chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i wish there was beer in saudi arabia :unimpressed:
Original post by mashbbk
Wassalams
Not good :frown:, trying to go without caffeine today (just water) and the headache has already set up and it is not even afternoon yet!
(I have a bad energy drink addiction :redface:)

Gl. I would never be able to do that lol
Original post by IdeasForLife
BarakAllahi Feeki. I look forward to the day when people start calling you sectarian for your politics on the Isoc.

I'm ready for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think in the case of the US, a lot of Muslims do realise it and they don't trust them one bit. Yh I agree, the political game is dirty. It's such a joke in Pakistan too. But I also hold the people responsible for voting for corrupt parties again and again.

Yh. I've heard of US soldiers carrying spare rifles, if sometimes they killed a civilian, they'd put the rifle next to the body in order to make it look like they killed a Taliban fighter or something. Some of them in Iraq would give sweets to kids because they realised that there was less chance of Muslims attacking them whilst children were around their vehicles ( ex-US army soldiers themselves said this).

It's fine, dw.
Wa'alaykumasalaam.

Agreed, i'm kind of hoping Imran Khan is different and will bring real change in Pakistan if he wins the next election.

Yeah the US always uses its textbook dirty tricks like the cowards they are just like the Zionist IDF who use children as human shields.
Original post by 123teddy
i wish there was beer in saudi arabia :unimpressed:

If you don't like it then migrate! Simples!
No I raised an issue with tyrants such as Bashar Assad. And then added Gaddafi as a further example. One man running the state isn't a bad thing but iron fisted (oppressive) people like these guys are bad.

If you're actually serious about discussing this, PM me. Otherwise don't expect further replies or elaboration from me anywhere. Might seem like a harsh attitude but I don't see much point anymore in spamming isoc with arguments against users who tend to be disingenuous for the sake of it.

Gadaffi was actually a good man who did ALOT for his country, you'll be surprised! Read a little about him and make your own conclusion instead of repeating the lies of the media.
Original post by AbdulALI
Gadaffi was actually a good man who did ALOT for his country, you'll be surprised! Read a little about him and make your own conclusion instead of repeating the lies of the media.

Enough debate for me today. I have to go eat chawal anyway :tongue:

Want some chawal Raheel Sharif saab?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KingBradly
Hey guys :smile:

Original post by guided1
Everyone killed by the rebels has been a Muslim you just dont call them Muslims because they dont follow your sect. We should condem all the killing. Why do you only condemn some of it? There are sunnis fighting for the government you know. Are you Syrian?

Even though we condemn vehemently killings on both sides, you can clearly see who the oppressor is and who the oppressed are.
Equally you also have nusayri shias and christians opposing the tyrant.
Reply 4050
Original post by beautifulxxx
There's more to Saudi Arabia than people getting flogged, not sure why this point is always raised. Riyadh is chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how long have you been in saudi, im assuming your an expat?
Original post by mkap
how long have you been in saudi, im assuming your an expat?

As of November, two years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leukocyte
Ah ok. Biomedical Science. Wbu?

We're so lucky and they're so dedicating to learn mashaAllah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Computing Science :smile:

A week*********** :tongue:

Oooo vnice. Can u hack TSR :smug:

I can't even hack my own computer... yet. :biggrin:

Mostly theory these first 3 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
Computing Science :smile:

I can't even hack my own computer... yet. :biggrin:

Mostly theory these first 3 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you going to be the next Elliot :colone:
Original post by Al-farhan
Are you going to be the next Elliot :colone:

? I'm lost... :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yudothis
Fair enough. I was just reading this piece about Saudi Arabia, it was pretty scathing in how they behave in the region in this regard.

They will have their day.
Original post by Enginerd.

You haven't heard of Elliot Alderson? Mr Robot?

Spoiler

A reflection from debates and discussions i have observed and been part of [in real life, lectures, etc]

1. When one debates another, it is naive to think they are merely debating two opposing ideas, to ascertain which one is the more logical one, or the closest to the truth. Rather, you are debating [for all parties involved], years if not decades of mental conditioning and bias, preconceived prejudices, and an emotional attachment to that idea.

2. We each live in a bubble. We love that bubble, and it forms our world view. It gives us comfort to have a set of beliefs by which we understand the world around us. If anyone challenges an idea, or concept we held near and dear, we feel as if they are challenging our own existence, and it scares us.

Therefore, my own personal reflection, it may flawed or otherwise, is to be cognisant of the above. Approach a debate or discussion by points of familiarity first - what you agree upon. Discuss things in a gentle manner. Don't patronise, nor make the other person feel they need to be on the defensive, and reassure them your aim is not to destroy their world, but to show them another view point. Give them the comfort of understanding it will be their own decision ultimately to choose what to believe, and they can examine the other side at their own pace, and at their own will.

As the old saying goes, you catch more flies with honey, than vinegar. This does not mean be deceitfully nice, to trick someone. Rather, it means that people are naturally more receptive if you show them a common sense of humanity, empathy, and respect. They may then consider, even partially, what you have to bring to the table, rather than to ignore it entirely or otherwise, because of an aversion to you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Additionally, there are those who i vehemently oppose in terms of a particular belief. But i do not equate the person with the belief [only actions]. So to soften my heart, i question if i too , would be holding the same belief as them, had i been born in their household, had the social conditioning they had, and was exposed to the same environment and biases. It may be i would have, and coming to what i now feel is truth, would have taken a bit longer.

It is wrong to think: Fulan is evil, because he holds a belief.

Rather it may be that Fulan has had social conditioning, family pressure, decades of misconceptions forming layer after layer, which will, if they truly seek truth, take a little longer to erode, if Allah so wills.

It may be that i would have been the Fulan i argue against if i had been born under another household and environment.

Maybe i should be aware of that, and be more humble and socially aware.
Original post by Al-farhan
You haven't heard of Elliot Alderson? Mr Robot?

Spoiler

Nope :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending