The Student Room Group

5-year degree too long??

I really want to do a joint degree in Japanese and Arabic, but the course I am looking at is 5 years!!! Is this too long, considering most language degrees are four years?....I love the idea of it, but is it worth five years? How useful would a degree like that be?
Yes, I think 5 years is probably too long. The only 5 year language degrees I know of are in Scotland, and they're usually for students who only do Highers (so the first year of university is more like Sixth Form).
Reply 2
Why is it 5 years long? Do you have 2 years abroad or something, cause that's the only reason I could bring myself to consider a 5 year course.
Original post by spark12
I really want to do a joint degree in Japanese and Arabic, but the course I am looking at is 5 years!!! Is this too long, considering most language degrees are four years?....I love the idea of it, but is it worth five years? How useful would a degree like that be?

Yes 5 years is too long

What does the 5 years entail? Will you be doing a year abroad or doing a placement ?
How does this sit with Student Funding - can you actually get 5 years funding?
Original post by returnmigrant
How does this sit with Student Funding - can you actually get 5 years funding?

As far as I'm aware students can get up to 4 years of funding
Reply 6
It includes a year in Morocco and a year in Japan....
Original post by spark12
It includes a year in Morocco and a year in Japan....

That seems worth it
I don't think having two years abroad is a good idea. Going into your final year not having spoken one of your languages for a whole year is very risky. Also, Morocco seems like an odd choice for a year abroad, if you went there then you'd presumably learn Moroccan Arabic which is probably the least useful variant of the language.
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
I don't think having two years abroad is a good idea. Going into your final year not having spoken one of your languages for a whole year is very risky. Also, Morocco seems like an odd choice for a year abroad, if you went there then you'd presumably learn Moroccan Arabic which is probably the least useful variant of the language.

Interesting, thanks for your comments. But I guess that's why its a five year degree - so you have two years at the end to consolidate both languages? And why is Moroccan Arabic the least useful?
Reply 10
Original post by MuhammadDarcy
That seems worth it

I thought so, but I'm conflicted. Five years is only one year longer than a normal language degree, so its not that long if you think about it....
Original post by spark12
And why is Moroccan Arabic the least useful?

Because Moroccan Arabic isn't used outside Morocco, and I've read that it is quite different to other varieties of Arabic which makes understanding someone from Egypt or Dubai quite difficult. From an international perspective, Egyptian or Levantine dialect is probably the most useful.
Reply 12
Original post by Snufkin
Because Moroccan Arabic isn't used outside Morocco, and I've read that it is quite different to other varieties of Arabic which makes understanding someone from Egypt or Dubai quite difficult. From an international perspective, Egyptian or Levantine dialect is probably the most useful.

OK, fair enough, but any variant of the language is going to be useful really, isn't it? I was just wondering about the five year part...
I'd stay in uni forever if I could lmao XD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending