The Student Room Group

Confustion about circular motion

the formula F=m x omega^2 r shows that with greater radius the centripetal force is more

but F=v^2 x M/r shows that its inversely proportional?

so which one is it and what am I missing
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

@Joinedup @mik1a perhaps one of yous can help.
Original post by NatoHeadshot
the formula F=m x omega^2 r shows that with greater radius the centripetal force is more

They're the same. Omega is v/r. If you increase the radius, at the same speed, omega will decrease with radius, leading its square to decrease the acceleration overall.
both formulae are valid. i personally prefer the one without omega
Reply 5
Original post by NatoHeadshot

When you say that F = mrw^2 shows that a greater r means a greater F, I assume that you mean for a constant w.

But v = rw, so if you have a bigger r and a constant w, you also get a bigger v. When you look again at F = mv^2/r, the v is squared, so the bigger v has a much bigger effect than the bigger r, giving you a bigger F overall.

Let's look at a more specific case. If there is a force of F for a particular m, r and w, let's see what happens when we double r but keep w the same. The new force is m(2r)w^2 = 2mrw^2 = 2F, so the centripetal force has doubled.

As v = rw, doubling r will also double v, for a fixed w.

So, the new force is also m(2v)^2/2r = 4mv^2/2r = 2mv^2/r = 2F, so again, the centripetal force has doubled. You get the same answer both ways.

Replace 2r with kr, where k is any constant, and the same argument applies.
Reply 6
Both equations are still correct, but it does look confusing at first.

The key is that v = wr, so the v^2 term in the second equation is 'hiding' an r^2 term inside it (since v^2 = w^2*r^2). If you substitute v = wr into the second equation and then cancel, you'll get the first equation.
Original post by the bear
both formulae are valid. i personally prefer the one without omega

But calculating omega makes it easier for other parts of the question bear.
Just recall how many equations omega features in

Spoiler

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
But calculating omega makes it easier for other parts of the question bear.
Just recall how many equations omega features in

Spoiler

you are getting confused with omega fish oils :spank:
Original post by the bear
you are getting confused with omega fish oils :spank:

But they're so

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest