The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thirdcultureteen
Oh, I see what you mean. As long as you come off as logical and intelligent (which I'm sure you are), you should be fine :smile:

I've applied for Cambridge, UCL, KCL, LSE and Nottingham. What about you?

What would your insurance be? As they're all A*AA
Reply 81
When did you submit your application if you have already? 14th October.
Have you received offers? Not yet, and none of my friends applied early lol.
Please mention the Unis you are applying to: Cambridge (Pembroke), UCL, KCL, LSE, Durham.
IGCSE; A*ABBBBBC ;-;
IB: 41 predicted
Original post by teenhorrorstory
What would your insurance be? As they're all A*AA

I take the IB, so Nottingham or KCL would, technically be insurances. KCL only asks for an overall score of 35, but with 766 at HL, while Nottingham doesn't specify HL grades, but wants an overall score of 38. However, I really do love all of those universities, so strictly speaking, none of them are insurances to me personally!
Reply 83
Oh, I see what you mean. As long as you come off as logical and intelligent (which I'm sure you are), you should be fine :smile:

Aaaw thanks!
I've applied for KCL, Oxford, Nottingham, Birmingham and Warwick (Just received an acknowledgement email from Nottingham)
Sitting the LNAT on Wednesday... Anyone sat the test this year? If so, how have you found it? Did you find it harder than the practice papers?
Also doing my LNAT this coming week and wondering if anyone knows how similar the MCQs and essay questions in Shepherds Mastering the national admissions test for law were to the real thing in terms of difficulty. They feel like they might be too easy!! Any help would be really appreciated
Reply 86
Applied; 13/10
Unis; Cambridge(CH),LSE, Bristol, Warwick and Exeter
(all acknowledged by 15/10)

GCSE; 10A*
AS level; AAAA
A level predictions; A*A*A*A
(maths, further maths, physics and history)
LNAT date; 17/10
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Heheboy
Yeah I was shocked when i received the offer yesterday! But will prestigious universities such as UCL and KCL treat me slightly lenient for LNAT results as well? I heard that they KCL puts a lot of emphasis on the MCQ while on the contrary, UCL puts a lot of emphasis on the essay. :frown: Anyway, thanks for all the advice given as i find them very helpful! :biggrin: All the best to u too!

yes don't worry. you have achieved results and they're outstanding. many people here would give an arm and a leg for those kinda grades that you got. you've done the LNAT so just hope for the best. but im certain your LNAT MCQ won't matter as much for kcl. Yes UCL focuses both the MCQ and essay or so they say.

Original post by *Stefan*
Utter crap. Outside Oxbridge and possibly LSE no university is widely known on an international level.
Nottingham is a very good law school, but that's it really. Warwick is not on the same level.
Posted from TSR Mobile

where else have you been besides outside of Greece and now UK?
Reply 88
Original post by Risobelle

where else have you been besides outside of Greece and now UK?

That is relevant, how?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89

A women from UCL just came to my school and said that every application goes to their departments, and in the LNAT what they care about the most is your essay because that is the test that will show them your ability since it's something you have not seen before. (And yeah they also care about the MCQ's)

sorry was not bothered to look for ur previous post to quote! xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hxaler
A women from UCL just came to my school and said that every application goes to their departments, and in the LNAT what they care about the most is your essay because that is the test that will show them your ability since it's something you have not seen before. (And yeah they also care about the MCQ's)

sorry was not bothered to look for ur previous post to quote! xD

Yep! I know that UCL cares about the essay (out of my 3 LNAT unis, I think it's the only one it matters for). I've also heard that KCL doesn't look at them and Nottingham is fine as long as you sound logical and make a clear argument, so I just meant that the user would be fine overall!

Really nervous about UCL now because I just took my LNAT this morning! The essay was fine but quite rushed towards the end (and I think I might have written a bit too much!).
Original post by academia153
Sitting the LNAT on Wednesday... Anyone sat the test this year? If so, how have you found it? Did you find it harder than the practice papers?

Original post by caitlindunn
Also doing my LNAT this coming week and wondering if anyone knows how similar the MCQs and essay questions in Shepherds Mastering the national admissions test for law were to the real thing in terms of difficulty. They feel like they might be too easy!! Any help would be really appreciated

Hey! I just took the test this morning and I would say that they were, overall, similar to the Shepherds book. The questions themselves weren't hard, but I think being in the testing environment and knowing that this test affects a lot of things made it more difficult than just trying questions out from the book! It usually takes me an hour to do the mcq section for a practice test in the Shepherds book, but me being paranoid and wanting to double check that I've read things correctly meant that I used all the time available when I took it this morning! So doing it in the real thing took me an extra 35 minutes.

Also, this might just be for me, but I thought the essay questions in the real LNAT were much nicer to answer! Mine were definitely more law-y than the ones in Mastering the Admissions Test for Law.

Take everything I said above with a grain of salt though, as I can't accurately reflect on the difficulty of the entire test without actually knowing how I did!
Hey! I just took the test this morning and I would say that they were, overall, similar to the Shepherds book. The questions themselves weren't hard, but I think being in the testing environment and knowing that this test affects a lot of things made it more difficult than just trying questions out from the book! It usually takes me an hour to do the mcq section for a practice test in the Shepherds book, but me being paranoid and wanting to double check that I've read things correctly meant that I used all the time available when I took it this morning! So doing it in the real thing took me an extra 35 minutes.

Also, this might just be for me, but I thought the essay questions in the real LNAT were much nicer to answer! Mine were definitely more law-y than the ones in Mastering the Admissions Test for Law.

Take everything I said above with a grain of salt though, as I can't accurately reflect on the difficulty of the entire test without actually knowing how I did!

Thanks for your input! Were your essay questions ones that required specific legal knowledge? Or was it more linked to current affairs/general knowledge?

Thank you so much, that's super helpful! I was pretty worried because I was averaging 36/42 in the MCQs and, like you, still having time to spare. It just felt like it was supposed to be harder. I think the essay is what's going to be my main issue now as I really like to know everything I possibly can before writing and I'm worried I might panic and blank out because I'll be totally unprepared for whatever options come up. I've only done shepherds practice tests so far though, about to do the Ines from the LNAT website, so I guess they'll be a better indicator.
When you say the essay questions were law related, what do you mean by that? Where they current current events or hot topic debates? Or were they more properly law law questions(if that makes sense)? Xx
Reply 94
Original post by academia153
Thanks for your input! Were your essay questions ones that required specific legal knowledge? Or was it more linked to current affairs/general knowledge?

Hey! I had my LNAT this morning as well, I'd say more 'current affairs', but more just affairs. I chose one about education, it could have been asked 10 years ago though so not exactly current. I find best practice for coming up with arguments is to put yourself in (a couple) of other peoples shoes; e.g. different affluence, area, ethnicity and think of any points they might have opposing your own.
Original post by Heheboy
Yup it's an unconditional offer for M100 programme because I have achieved A-level grades. You can pm me or ask me through here. Glad to offer any two cents if I'm capable to help you haha😅

What's your GCSE/AS/A2 prediction profile?
Reply 96
Original post by Taylor J100
What's your GCSE/AS/A2 prediction profile?

I'm an international applicant, so I took another home examination equivalent to GCSE. My AS and A2 results are as follows:

AS: AAAA
A2: A*A*A*A

Both are achieved results. How about you and which universities are you applying to?
Applied: 14/10/16
Universities: Oxford, Durham, KCL, Bristol, Warwick
GCSE's: 4A*,3A's,3B's
AS: A,B (other 2 were internal)
A2 prediction: A*AA (Geography,History & Politics)
Acknowledged by all but Durham
Not too happy with my LNAT

Do you guys think I have a realistic chance of getting in to any of the above??
About me:
Applied (15/10/16) to: Oxford, UCL, KCL, Durham, York
GCSE: 12A* 1A
A2 (predicted): A*A*A*A*
LNAT taken 11/10/16

I think my LNAT essay was pretty decent and my academic record is solid. In light of this, what sort of MCQ score do you think Ii need for these unis. Does what's required change based on the essay and other factors.

Aso, if anybody knows, about when do each of these send out offers/rejections?

Cheers.
Original post by NEB HNOTLIH
About me:
Applied (15/10/16) to: Oxford, UCL, KCL, Durham, York
GCSE: 12A* 1A
A2 (predicted): A*A*A*A*
LNAT taken 11/10/16

I think my LNAT essay was pretty decent and my academic record is solid. In light of this, what sort of MCQ score do you think Ii need for these unis. Does what's required change based on the essay and other factors.

Aso, if anybody knows, about when do each of these send out offers/rejections?

Cheers.

Since your whole application seems very impressive, just getting the cut-off point for the LNAT (approx. 25/42) should be sufficient for UCL, KCL, Durham and York and it should get you shortlisted for Oxford. :smile:

Latest