The Student Room Group

How would most Muslims react if a Muslim girl got married to a non-Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
It's fine. I'm a Muslim woman and my husband is a white atheist. He didn't expect me to lose my faith so I can't expect him to want to convert to a religion he thinks isn't real. What matters in a marriage is love, not stupid and minor issues such as beliefs concerning what will happens to you once you're dead.

Muslim women are not allowed to marry non-Muslim men.
Who are we to judge weather someone is muslim or not? Its whats in the heart that matters.
Original post by showmethat
Muslim women are not allowed to marry non-Muslim men.

Babe they clearly are as I'm a Muslim woman and my husband's not Muslim !
It's fine. I'm a Muslim woman and my husband is a white atheist. He didn't expect me to lose my faith so I can't expect him to want to convert to a religion he thinks isn't real. What matters in a marriage is love, not stupid and minor issues such as beliefs concerning what will happens to you once you're dead.

And what kinda attention and reaction have you received from the Muslim community? Did you receive a lot of support for your decision?
Babe they clearly are as I'm a Muslim woman and my husband's not Muslim !

If a Muslim kills an innocent Muslim does that mean that Muslims are allowed to kill innocent Muslims?
Original post by CookieButter
In Islam marrying a non-muslim at most renders the marriage un-islamic or not preferential depending on the religion of the partner. It has nothing to do with the woman or man being considered muslim or not. Nobody would consider her a non-muslim. To be considered a non-muslim you would have to leave Islam.*

My wife is Christian and I am muslim. We had a big old fashioned Mediterranean marriage ceremony. The majority of our guests celebrating our marriage, where muslims.*

That's good to hear but like I said its allowed for a Muslim man, so ofcourse there'd be Muslims celebrating at your wedding. It's a whole different thing with a female.

I'm really not trying to offend the Muslims on TSR, I just don't know many Muslims irl and thought I'd ask since I was curious.

Pissed off

So you'd be very annoyed and angry with her choice?

Original post by AbdulALI
Why would you be posting a thread like this anonymously?

Because she frequents this forum.
That's good to hear but like I said its allowed for a Muslim man, so ofcourse there'd be Muslims celebrating at your wedding. It's a whole different thing with a female.

I'm really not trying to offend the Muslims on TSR, I just don't know many Muslims irl and thought I'd ask since I was curious.

So you'd be very annoyed and angry with her choice?

Because she frequents this forum.

BS
If a Muslim kills an innocent Muslim does that mean that Muslims are allowed to kill innocent Muslims?

Why are you trying to compare the two? I am married to a non-Muslim and my marriage is perfectly valid in the eyes of the law and those of Allah and self righteous Muslims like you won't change that.
And what kinda attention and reaction have you received from the Muslim community? Did you receive a lot of support for your decision?

Thankfully I have a very supportive family and community and they couldn't be happier. All that matter in marriage is love and they agree with me on that.

The same ruling applies to both men and women in regards to marriage *of non-muslims.

A female friend of mine recently got married to an ex-atheist guy from greece. She is a muslim. She wanted him to convert so he converted to islam so that they can be together. People make concessions and try to get along the best they can. Its only in the media that people go crazy over such things and this is very far from reality.*

p.s. People who love each other try to make it work the best they can. Relationships, ones that work and last at least, are full of concessions. *
(edited 7 years ago)
Why are you trying to compare the two? I am married to a non-Muslim and my marriage is perfectly valid in the eyes of the law and those of Allah and self righteous Muslims like you won't change that.

No the marriage is not valid in Islam just because you're happy. All four Sunni schools of Islam forbid marriage between a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man.
No the marriage is not valid in Islam just because you're happy. All four Sunni schools of Islam forbid marriage between a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man.

You stick to your beliefs and me to mine. My marriage is perfectly valid isoamically and legally and there's nothing you can do to change that.
I would be happy that she's happy and wish them both a lifetime of joys and whatever they deserve.

I understand that it is forbidden for a Muslim woman to marry a non Muslim man, but that wouldnt have much of an effect on my opinion of her.

Hope she gets what she wants.
You stick to your beliefs and me to mine. My marriage is perfectly valid isoamically and legally and there's nothing you can do to change that.

It is not valid Islamically. BUT that does not mean you should not be happy. It's great you both are happy together and hopefully you'll have a happy life together.

isnt this just a way to control women? It's like saying their "our women" and no one else can have them. Particularly considering the fact it's allowed for men to marry Christians and Jews.
Original post by donutellme
I would be happy that she's happy and wish them both a lifetime of joys and whatever they deserve.

I understand that it is forbidden for a Muslim woman to marry a non Muslim man, but that wouldnt have much of an effect on my opinion of her.

Hope she gets what she wants.

Will she burn in hell?
Reply 36
I'm muslim, and practicing, and come from a very religious family, so for me, I would see nothing wrong with it because marriages are allowed along as they are with "people of the book" i.e. Christians or Jews. However, I think the man has to be Muslim so he'd have to convert if the marriage was to be seen as fully halal per se. However, I don't think it would be bad, or she'd get backlash because if she did an istikhara, she'd know for herself whether a marriage would be good.
But Allah has a path for all of us, so at the end of the day, if things dont work out, then Allah has a greater thing planned.

Original post by MuhammadDarcy
I know many Muslims that have married Christians and Jews some have become Muslim and others haven't, I don't think there's a problem if he doesn't convert right away, if after some time he thinks the religion is for him he will convert if not then that's his choice

it clearly states in Islam that a women cannot marry a non muslim. A muslim man is allowed to marry someone from the people of the book (Jews and Christians) but not the other way round
Reply 37

Lol must be a troll. She can't be that ignorant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutellme
It is not valid Islamically. BUT that does not mean you should not be happy. It's great you both are happy together and hopefully you'll have a happy life together.

For me it is valid islamicaly end of and you're not going to change my opinion on that

It's not valid islamically. That's a fact. Stick to your beliefs if you want but don't call them Islamic beliefs because they contradict Islam:
"O ye who believe! When there come to you believing women refugees, examine them: Allah knows best as to their Faith: if ye ascertain that they are Believers, then send them not back to the Unbelievers. They are not lawful for the Unbelievers, nor are the Unbelievers lawful for them."

Your marriage is not valid Islamically. The Quran directly states that Muslim women cannot marry non-Muslim men. You are 100% wrong I'm afraid.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply