The Student Room Group

Tsp 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hi All,

This might seem like a silly question so apologies in advance if it is. I notice on the Advert it states entry requirements for this programme are different for internal candidates - do you still have to have a degree to apply if your internal or are this different criteria you can meet?
Original post by lisa_5181
Hi All,

This might seem like a silly question so apologies in advance if it is. I notice on the Advert it states entry requirements for this programme are different for internal candidates - do you still have to have a degree to apply if your internal or are this different criteria you can meet?

If you are internal you don't need a degree.
Original post by Mega0448
If you are internal you don't need a degree.

that's really helpful... thanks :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Jell91
i applied last year for this and just filled in all my details to reapply again, however once i confirmed all my details it never gave me a chance to complete the sift test and is using my score from last year.. any other re-appliers find this too? not complaining to be fair, i got a really high score last year (somehow)! just concerned incase it's a mistake of some sort

Hey Jell, here we go again! I've reapplied and had to do sift again, have you applied for any HO roles in the last 6 months? it says in the FAQs they bank the scores. I was worried about waiting all this time and failing it, but got 98% so pressure off for a bit! Need to start practicing for the maths!
Reply 44
Original post by Rchilton
Hey Jell, here we go again! I've reapplied and had to do sift again, have you applied for any HO roles in the last 6 months? it says in the FAQs they bank the scores. I was worried about waiting all this time and failing it, but got 98% so pressure off for a bit! Need to start practicing for the maths!

Hey! Haha i know, yeah i have so i guess they've taken it from that, i scored better than 97% so cant really complain! Did you ever get any form of offer as a trickle down from last year?
Reply 45
Original post by Jell91
Hey! Haha i know, yeah i have so i guess they've taken it from that, i scored better than 97% so cant really complain! Did you ever get any form of offer as a trickle down from last year?

Ah great score. Yes had a right carry on, eventually got a HO prov offer mid August. However I got a call at the start of September to say that someone had dropped out of the TSP at the last minute and I was next in reserve, everyone else had already started but the official training didn't start for two weeks. Because I had a HO offer already the guy thought my checks would be almost complete (sarcastic laugh) and that I would be able to start a week late. However after making some calls someone must have told him it wasn't likely they'd be done and they wouldn't take the risk of starting me without them. Was completely gutted but at least I didn't have to leave my current employer in a bad way (my contract says 1 month notice and this all happened the day before I was due to go on holiday for 2 weeks!). To top it all off I rang up DBS today to check the status of checks and turns out there isn't even an application in my name yet... sigh! Don't know why I'm going to put myself through this all again hah. Did you get a HO offer?
Ah great score. Yes had a right carry on, eventually got a HO prov offer mid August. However I got a call at the start of September to say that someone had dropped out of the TSP at the last minute and I was next in reserve, everyone else had already started but the official training didn't start for two weeks. Because I had a HO offer already the guy thought my checks would be almost complete (sarcastic laugh) and that I would be able to start a week late. However after making some calls someone must have told him it wasn't likely they'd be done and they wouldn't take the risk of starting me without them. Was completely gutted but at least I didn't have to leave my current employer in a bad way (my contract says 1 month notice and this all happened the day before I was due to go on holiday for 2 weeks!). To top it all off I rang up DBS today to check the status of checks and turns out there isn't even an application in my name yet... sigh! Don't know why I'm going to put myself through this all again hah. Did you get a HO offer?

How is that any different to a deferral? If you basically got the job and only reason you didn't start was because of the timing of the checks surely they'd just offer you the job and hp just start next year
Reply 47

Yeah something similar to you, i got an offer for a tsp place in my second choice early august, but my circumstances have changed since i chose my location preferences so they allowed me to go back on the reserve list and i got a prov HO offer on the 23rd August. Havent heard a thing since though! Sent off two emails last week and got no responses! What number did you ring to check that?
Could someone advise me what the HO and O roles are referring to? Are these essentially jobs a level or two below the TSP programme which are offered to those who do not quite make the cut?
Reply 49
Original post by hodgey111
Could someone advise me what the HO and O roles are referring to? Are these essentially jobs a level or two below the TSP programme which are offered to those who do not quite make the cut?

Exactly that. HO is a similar grade to what tsp starts on but without the guaranteed opportunity for advancement that tsp has. O/EO is the grade below HO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NMP16
Exactly that. HO is a similar grade to what tsp starts on but without the guaranteed opportunity for advancement that tsp has. O/EO is the grade below HO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks.

Has anyone got any advice before I sit the CSIST? First time applicant so not sure what to expect.
Reply 51

Yes essentially. HO Is two grades lower and O three, from Grade 7 which is was the tsp promotes you to.
Ok thanks.

Has anyone got any advice before I sit the CSIST? First time applicant so not sure what to expect.

What you get?
Original post by Bobby1231
What you get?

Yet to do it. Any tips?
Reply 54
Yet to do it. Any tips?

I would say just to read the guidance thoroughly and watch your timings, allow yourself a set amount of time for each question and if you don't complete it move to the next. You can go back if you need to.
Reply 55
I scored better than than 48% on the sift test, thereby just passed. Scored 76% last year, so a big fall. I did this same test for the HO recruitment earlier in the year and scored 70%.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by QE5
I scored better than than 48% on the sift test, thereby just passed. Scored 76% last year, so a big fall. I did this same test for the HO recruitment earlier in the year and scored 70%.

I think the test was a different one from last year, but may be the same as the one you did earlier in the year. There used to be 4 tests but they've streamlined to 3.
Original post by QE5

How do you know you've passed with 48% on the sift test? And you can pass a test even when more than half the people did better than you???

I found the sift test to be confusing because there was a gradient of answers, the difference between mildly / averagely / highly are surely personal opinion? I mean there was obvious a direction to the answer, but the strength was :s
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by oldboy2007
How do you know you've passed with 48% on the sift test? And you can pass a test even when more than half the people did better than you???

I found the sift test to be confusing because there was a gradient of answers, the difference between mildly / averagely / highly are surely personal opinion? I mean there was obvious a direction to the answer, but the strength was :s

Your feedback tells you your score. It's about half way down the report. It tells you have met at least the minimum score and what your percentile was. It explains how they score the tests also.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Sk80gse
I think the test was a different one from last year, but may be the same as the one you did earlier in the year. There used to be 4 tests but they've streamlined to 3.

Yes you are correct. TSP was different test. However the HO test was exactly the same. Same questions. Each one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending