The Student Room Group

GCSE Questions - Ask me anything

Hey Guys!

So I created this as I feel this would have been helpful for me when I was in year 11 and I want to help you guys out as well!

So I'm currently in year 12 but know how stressful year 11 can be so I'm here if you need any questions answered or if you need some support or encouragement I'm here. So ask away or rant away and I'll do my best to help including A-Levels, moving school fot sixth form I'm here so ask away! I took the following subjects and my grades if you are interested... and also help!

Religious Studies (AQA) A*
Physical Education (Edexcel) A*
Core Science (OCR Gateway) A
Business Studies (WJEC) A
History (AQA) B
Spanish (Edexcel) B
English Literature (AQA) B
Statistics (Edexcel) B
Maths (Edexcel) B
Additional Science (OCR Gateway) B
English Language (AQA) C

So ask away! 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloeematthews12
Hey Guys!

So I created this as I feel this would have been helpful for me when I was in year 11 and I want to help you guys out as well!

So I'm currently in year 12 but know how stressful year 11 can be so I'm here if you need any questions answered or if you need some support or encouragement I'm here. So ask away or rant away and I'll do my best to help including A-Levels, moving school fot sixth form I'm here so ask away! I took the following subjects and my grades if you are interested... and also help!

History (AQA) B
Spanish (Edexcel) B
Statistics (Edexcel) B
Maths (Edexcel) B
English Language (AQA) C

So ask away! 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one :smile:

Roughly when did you start revision and what did that entail?
Hey can you read my 30 mark answer for An Inspector Calls and give me feedback please :smile:
Original post by EvoKe_FusionZ
Hey can you read my 30 mark answer for An Inspector Calls and give me feedback please :smile:

Hey - I most certainly could however I wasn't that great at english literature however my best bit was An Inspector calls so if you PM it to me I'm more than happy to look at it for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you dude I appreciate this!
what grade did you get for english lit
Can i send you it tomorrow I really can't remember it and it is in my book which is in school xD
Btw can you help me out with the introductions and conclusions for an inspector calls
Original post by SeanFM
Nice one :smile:

Roughly when did you start revision and what did that entail?

Hey! So I started revision way way too late! I started "serious" revision around feb/march time. I totally regret all of my mocks as well. My mocks in December were honestly a real wake up call as I basically came out with B's and C's and even a D in history! If I was to do year 11 again I would probably start revision around now... but only 2/3 hours a night and as I got closer it would be 4 perhaps 5 hours a night BUT MAKE SURE YOU TAKE BREAKS! I basically made a list of all the things I had to know for each subject and although it took a long time I was able to identify the gaps in my knowledge. I then highlighted the topics based on how confident and cofortable I was with them. I always wrote any questions that I had down to ask my teacher so I could ask them as well. In addition I had study timetable that worked around me. I play netball every thursday evenings and every other saturday - this way I still had a bit of stress reliever but as it hit April I stopped in order to concentrate on my studies. Hope this somewhat helps?

Quick question if you don't mind me asking - do you still have any coursework to do for your GCSE's??

Posted from TSR Mobile
what grade did you get for english lit

I got a B in eng lit (it's in the intro)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw can you help me out with the introductions and conclusions for an inspector calls

Of course I can - can you PM me with the question and I'll send over the main points I would write about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am in year 11, right now how much should i revise and when should i start 'hardcore' revision
Original post by RaptorStar
I am in year 11, right now how much should i revise and when should i start 'hardcore' revision

hey I would revise probably 2/3 hours at night at this stage. Personally I would wait to get your december mocks back before you start hardcore revision that way you can idendify what topics you struggle with and then revise them first as they will probably take the longest... hope this helps?

Any more questions feel free to ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hey Guys!

History (AQA) B
Spanish (Edexcel) B
Statistics (Edexcel) B
Maths (Edexcel) B
English Language (AQA) C

So ask away! 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I have a Religious Studies (AQA) small end of unit test this Wednesday about euthanasia, abortion, fertility treatment and genetic modification. Should I focus mostly on memorizing quotes? What gets you the most marks in a religious studies exam?
Original post by Txhmid
Hey! I have a Religious Studies (AQA) small end of unit test this Wednesday about euthanasia, abortion, fertility treatment and genetic modification. Should I focus mostly on memorizing quotes? What gets you the most marks in a religious studies exam?

Hey! is this Religion and Morality? Of so just remember the acronym BERKY FLAPS:
Body is a Temple
Eye for an eye
Reincarnation

Free will
Love your neighbour
Ahimsa (non violence in hinduism)
Playing God
Sanctity of Life

Also if you use the teaching remember to always link it back to the question - e.g I'm against euthanasia as I believe it is playing God. This is because only God has the power to give and take life away and euthanasia allows us to take the power into our hands and goes against God's will.

If that makes sense? Just remember the key terms, the teaching's and just remember to always relate it back to the questions - hope this all helps??

Anymore questions feel free to ask 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Hey! is this Religion and Morality? Of so just remember the acronym BERKY FLAPS:
Body is a Temple
Eye for an eye
Reincarnation

Free will
Love your neighbour
Ahimsa (non violence in hinduism)
Playing God
Sanctity of Life

Also if you use the teaching remember to always link it back to the question - e.g I'm against euthanasia as I believe it is playing God. This is because only God has the power to give and take life away and euthanasia allows us to take the power into our hands and goes against God's will.

If that makes sense? Just remember the key terms, the teaching's and just remember to always relate it back to the questions - hope this all helps??

Anymore questions feel free to ask 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

what religion is "body is a temple"
Original post by Txhmid
what religion is "body is a temple"

Christianity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Guys!

History (AQA) B
Spanish (Edexcel) B
Statistics (Edexcel) B
Maths (Edexcel) B
English Language (AQA) C

So ask away! 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you currently revise?
Original post by Tinka99
How do you currently revise?

I currently revise by making notes and FLASHCARDS! Honestly they are the best things I can recommend can be used for any subjects but they worked well for me in history. Also past papers were also really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Hey,
I'm struggling with pretty much all aspects of English and whenever I ask my teacher what I could do to improve she is always a bit vague. Do you have any tips on how to improve in the analysis part of the GCSE?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest