The Student Room Group

How do I break up with someone?

I want to break up with my boyfriend, but I've never experienced a break up before and wondering how it is done.

I'd prefer to leave him on good terms, I care about him but I know I'm not happy with him and want to move on. I've already made the choice in my heart and now I just gotta implement it.

How do I do the 'perfect' break-up?
(Or as perfect as break ups can be?)
Be honest with him. It's hard but you will feel a sense of relief once you do it. Good luck.
Original post by Anonymous
I want to break up with my boyfriend, but I've never experienced a break up before and wondering how it is done.

I'd prefer to leave him on good terms, I care about him but I know I'm not happy with him and want to move on. I've already made the choice in my heart and now I just gotta implement it.

How do I do the 'perfect' break-up?
(Or as perfect as break ups can be?)

Depends on your choice, bit on age and how long you have been going out.

Best would be in person imo or at least on the phone where you have the chance to talk about it and explain your reasons why or even just being tactful.

What his reaction will be depends on how convinced he was, how he deals with rejection and how much he valued the relationship anyway. You cnat guarantee that part.

Be honest, keep it brief but give him an opprtunity to reply and be reasonably sensitive.
Just block him on all social media and completely act like he doesn't exist. He'll probs get the message
Reply 4
Original post by johnTroy1
Be honest with him. It's hard but you will feel a sense of relief once you do it. Good luck.

I will be honest. :smile:
Thank you for your support!

Original post by 999tigger
Depends on your choice, bit on age and how long you have been going out.

Best would be in person imo or at least on the phone where you have the chance to talk about it and explain your reasons why or even just being tactful.

What his reaction will be depends on how convinced he was, how he deals with rejection and how much he valued the relationship anyway. You cnat guarantee that part.

Be honest, keep it brief but give him an opprtunity to reply and be reasonably sensitive.

My choice?

We've been together for 4 years now, and we're both 17.

I'll try and arrange it, but I'm afraid it might be over text. Is there any reason it must be over the phone/in person?

I'm not sure how he'll react, but he's reasonable. I think he feels the same way but is too worried to start the conversation on breaking up. I still care for him and I really want him to be happy and be happy for the rest of his life. I just know I can't do that anymore, and he can't do that for me.

Just block him on all social media and completely act like he doesn't exist. He'll probs get the message

I'll do that after we speak. I really want to hear his side and arrive at a mutual decision together.
I will be honest. :smile:
Thank you for your support!

My choice?

We've been together for 4 years now, and we're both 17.

I'll try and arrange it, but I'm afraid it might be over text. Is there any reason it must be over the phone/in person?

I'm not sure how he'll react, but he's reasonable. I think he feels the same way but is too worried to start the conversation on breaking up. I still care for him and I really want him to be happy and be happy for the rest of his life. I just know I can't do that anymore, and he can't do that for me.

I think the your choice managed to creep into the beginning of the post and was meant to be at the end.

Text is lame imo and after 4 years then even lamer if not disrespectful. Its a cowards choice imo. How would you like it after 4 years then all you got was a text? It shows you cant be bothered.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
I think the your choice managed to creep into the beginning of the post and was meant to be at the end.

Text is lame imo and after 4 years then even lamer if not disrespectful. Its a cowards choice imo. How would you like it after 4 years then all you got was a text? It shows you cant be bothered.

True, I'll try to call them. Thanks for the help. :3
True, I'll try to call them. Thanks for the help. :3

If its any help, then he probably knows anyway and could be thinking the same.
Reply 8

As if anyone narcissistic enough to endorse this approach would have mustered the introspection to post such a thread in the first place.
Reply 9
Give him a sock and tell him he's a free elf.
Talk to them in person. Don't text them.
4 years and over text , animal fam
Reply 12
Don't treat him badly in the run up to it, that's the worst bit. Face to face, honest as possible, avoid break up cliches. Offer friendship, unless he can't handle it and behaves inappropriately.

Oh, and some additional thoughts for dumping perfection - offer him a final compensatory bonk and then fix him up with one of your mates who is even hotter than you..
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending