The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ♥Samantha♥
My school said that the PS isn't really 'optional' and that we should do it. However I'm not sure what to write. I think that chances are if you say you are really interested in some part of the course then it might come up in the interview.

It. Is. Entirely. Optional. :smile:

Leave it blank. You won't be disadvantaged.

(You can see what the Murray Edwards AT has already said about it in his thread.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
It. Is. Entirely. Optional. :smile:

Leave it blank. You won't be disadvantaged.

(You can see what the Murray Edwards AT has already said about it in his thread.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. So what I gathered is there's no point filling it in for the sake of it - what you say probably won't add anything of value to your application.
My only subject that isn't reformed is maths, the rest are linear. I don't have to put down UMS for the rest of my subjects then, right?
Thank you. So what I gathered is there's no point filling it in for the sake of it - what you say probably won't add anything of value to your application.

Yes that's correct :smile:
Original post by amelienine
My only subject that isn't reformed is maths, the rest are linear. I don't have to put down UMS for the rest of my subjects then, right?

You don't have UMS for reformed subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You don't have UMS for reformed subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Original post by jneill
Firstly: Don't stress about UMS!

But yes you need to declare all module UMS in the SAQ - and you can also provide the context (i.e. your school required you to take them early).

Do you think that Cambridge might see me as 'making excuses' if I try to explain the context.
Do you think that Cambridge might see me as 'making excuses' if I try to explain the context.

It's called "giving context" to your application, not "making excuses". That's exactly why they have these questions on the SAQ. If they didn't want to know, they wouldn't ask the question...
Reply 2668
I have been told that filling in the personal statement bit is not really worthwhile as you have to make it as good as, if not better than your personal statement. Otherwise you would be making your overall application / impression worse. Also It does seem like a lot of effort and there aren't that many characters really to 'show off'.
If I just submitted my personal statement, when should I expect to receive the SAQ by?
How did people do in the ECAA specimen/ how are people preparing for the actual one?
Original post by Cleptide
If I just submitted my personal statement, when should I expect to receive the SAQ by?

Usually within a day.
Original post by Buymoria
How did people do in the ECAA specimen/ how are people preparing for the actual one?

72% and just maths revision

Original post by Themathsdebater

- TSA papers
- MAT papers
- http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/test-of-mathematics-for-university-admission/preparation/ <- this (some of the questions are even the same as those on the ECAA specimen lol, infer what you will from that)
Original post by Themathsdebater

was it me or was the problem solving really easy compared to the maths?
was it me or was the problem solving really easy compared to the maths?

Opposite

Under timed conditions at school:
80% problem solving
87% maths
Teacher didn't mark my essay :erm:
80% problem solving
87% maths

Do you know how much emphasis is placed on the essay or is it more one for the tutors to use in the interview provided that your ECAA/grades/ps are good enough? (also gj on the specimen)
80% problem solving
87% maths

Essays are subjective anyway so I wouldn't get bogged down on it. It's more the timing, structure and fluency of argument - which you can judge for yourself.

Did you answer all the questions?
the John's family is all here:smile:

Quick Reply