The Student Room Group

Maths (with business) degree or Accounting degree?

I can't decide on whether to study maths with business, or just accounting. I currently study maths, further maths and business studies. I enjoy maths but I was looking at the accounting route mainly because it'll get me somewhere, probably. But I'm now thinking of studying a maths degree but because I enjoy business and wanted to study accounting due to the mix of maths and business, I feel like I'd enjoy a maths and business joint honours degree more. Any opinions?
Original post by NeeIam
I can't decide on whether to study maths with business, or just accounting. I currently study maths, further maths and business studies. I enjoy maths but I was looking at the accounting route mainly because it'll get me somewhere, probably. But I'm now thinking of studying a maths degree but because I enjoy business and wanted to study accounting due to the mix of maths and business, I feel like I'd enjoy a maths and business joint honours degree more. Any opinions?

What topics in maths interest you in particular at university level? How do you feel about the study of Algebra, Analysis, differential equations, topology etc? :smile:

Maths is pretty tough but you just have to know what you're in for, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I think both with probably get you somewhere provided the other parts of yourself are good too.
Reply 2
I really enjoy studying algebra I like all the core maths and since I'm doing further maths at A2 I'm studying topics like vectors and matrices that I know come up at degree level, and I enjoy it. I don't really like the applied modules but I guess there's no escaping them? I just feel like I'd enjoy a maths/business joint honours degree more than accounting. Because I enjoy studying maths more than other subjects. So I was thinking even if I do still want to go into accounting, I can do so with my maths/business degree afterwards right
Reply 3
Original post by NeeIam

Hi, it depends what career pathway you want to take. Accounting degrees offer several exam exemptions towards the professional accounting qualifications (ACCA/ACA/CIMA).
Reply 4
Original post by NeeIam
So I was thinking even if I do still want to go into accounting, I can do so with my maths/business degree afterwards right

You would have a long way to go.
Business degrees only offer 1 or 2 exemptions towards accounting exams (the ACCA has 14 papers) whereas accounting degrees can offer up to 9 exemptions in total.
Reply 5
If you are going to wind up in lots of debt through studying at University, you may as well get into debt over subjects you genuinely really like.
Only you can decide what you ultimately end up studying, but perhaps even looking at what each course entails (including looking at example work rather than just module descriptions), what is included as part of their optional modules etc will be a good idea. Perhaps also reach out to the universities you are interested in and talk to them about the course?
Have you checked out this?: http://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/business/blog/business-management-vs-accounting-which-degree-is-right-for-you/
Either way, I would always go for studying something you are more passionate about rather than what would open more doors for you. After all, why study something to then go on and work in a field that you are less passionate about?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest