The Student Room Group

should I be worried or am I just been silly?

So Every time I work on maths I try to figure out the answer before even looking at the method shown in the book.

Why because I am aware the exam might throw me a curve ball of a question in a strange way I am not familiar with + step papers certainly wont be something I can rote learn.

I want to develop actual understanding of the math not just memorize methods. Maybe this is a bad of learning but I think it works quite well.

Anyway I remember reading from the Warwick maths page that many of their students have never struggled with maths before and they will when they get to university which can be a challenging change.

I don't know whether I class me as struggling or not, on the one hand I don't always figure it out if I have not seen very similar questions before. However I always understand it as soon as I see the methodology explained. I am yet to actually reach a stage where I just do not understand the method etc.

However sometimes whilst I have not seen the method to solving this exact problem everything i have seen previously should be sufficient to solve. Yet I have not always solved perfectly first time or spotted what to do first time. I understand it like I said when I see the answer and method.

Do es what I describe class as struggling with maths and if I want to get A*A*A* should I be worried about this?
Reply 1
Original post by Luke7456
Does what I describe class as struggling with maths

I'm not entirely sure what you're describing. It may be possible to classify it as struggling with maths, but the true difficulty of maths is when you know the content and general method, but the question still requires creative thinking and application.

Trying questions without knowing the content is usually a good way to understand the content once you actually do go over the content/method, since you are able to tell why the method is important/why you need these theorems/how it doesn't work without it/etc... but may also be more effort than it's worth. Up to you.

and if I want to get A*A*A* should I be worried about this?

No. If you want to get A*A*A*, you needn't worry at all. A few past papers should be enough to get you that (given that you're doing STEP, almost 0 work will need to be put into A-Level to get those grades, the case is obviously different for non-STEP people.)
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
I'm not entirely sure what you're describing. It may be possible to classify it as struggling with maths, but the true difficulty of maths is when you know the content and general method, but the question still requires creative thinking and application.

Trying questions without knowing the content is usually a good way to understand the content once you actually do go over the content/method, since you are able to tell why the method is important/why you need these theorems/how it doesn't work without it/etc... but may also be more effort than it's worth. Up to you.

No. If you want to get A*A*A*, you needn't worry at all. A few past papers should be enough to get you that (given that you're doing STEP, almost 0 work will need to be put into A-Level to get those grades, the case is obviously different for non-STEP people.)

Thanks I what worries me is I don't always spot what I should do right away despite the fact sometimes I know all the previous stuff I should need. However I guess practice improves that skill. Maybe I shouldn't worry.

I hope to sit step this academic year, and will be studying towards it but have not started on step yet so, I don't know if this affects anything.

Mind you thinking about it I probably am been silly because if everyone with a natural talent was solving first time without practice step wouldn't be a challenge. I have got full time hours to study and am doing maths further maths and additional further maths so I guess with all that time and practice I can't fail.

I just always assumed I had a natural talent for maths, and what I fear is finding out that I don't.

Quick Reply

Latest