The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineering for Bachelors then Aerospace engineering in masters or Aerospa

So I'm currently on my final year of highschool and I'm stuck in a dilemma. I see a lot of Universities which have programs for Mechanical Engineering but not Aerospace Engineering. And for Bachelors degree, I have to stay in Washington DC (tried UK but parents are on some England phobia).So my main question is will it be a wise decision to take Mechanical Engineering for Bachelors degree and then go for Aerospace Engineering for Masters degree? I really really really want a career related to space and aircrafts and some coding. Considering all my desires, Aerospace engineering seems to fit well. So thinking about my future career, what would you guys suggest? Will it be wise to take Mechanical Engineering for Bachelors and then move to Aerospace engineering for Masters?
Reply 1
With Aerospace engineering, you can take a bachelors and then at any times you can just say "I'm going to do an extra year" and you can then do a masters. I'm from England and there are a lot of places that do aerospace engineering so I have my pick.

However, you could always do aeronautical engineering which is to do with space, astrophysics and all that shenanigans which I looked into and is pretty similar to aerospace engineering. I'd recommend you take a look at the specs for aerospace, aeronautical and mechanical and see which one is most appealing.

Good luck! :smile:
Yeah, that's a logical progression. But concentrate on your undergrad when you get there - masters courses are still 3+ years away and your interests may have changed by then. Good luck!
Reply 3
I guess I was confusing ._. My issue is that barely many universities offer Aerospace engineering here. There's only 1 out of 7 in the place I'll be living. And not to mention that University has an absurdly high tuition fees. So without some really slacked out scholarship, that university wont be within my reach. So considering my situation, will it be a sensible choice to do Mechanical Engineering for Bachelors and then do Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering in Masters? Will I be able to get a good job in the Aerospace industry?
Probably better to do EEE based upon what you're saying, aerospace companies recruit a decent number of EEE grads as there's a lot of avionics which just isn't really taught to aero students
Reply 5
Original post by Helloworld_95
Probably better to do EEE based upon what you're saying, aerospace companies recruit a decent number of EEE grads as there's a lot of avionics which just isn't really taught to aero students

That's a big no. I'd rather have trump as my mentor than do EEE.
Original post by daddydevil
That's a big no. I'd rather have trump as my mentor than do EEE.

Fair enough, I was basing it off your wish to do some coding, which you almost certainly wouldn't get if you had a mechanical background.
Original post by daddydevil
So I'm currently on my final year of highschool and I'm stuck in a dilemma. I see a lot of Universities which have programs for Mechanical Engineering but not Aerospace Engineering. And for Bachelors degree, I have to stay in Washington DC (tried UK but parents are on some England phobia).So my main question is will it be a wise decision to take Mechanical Engineering for Bachelors degree and then go for Aerospace Engineering for Masters degree? I really really really want a career related to space and aircrafts and some coding. Considering all my desires, Aerospace engineering seems to fit well. So thinking about my future career, what would you guys suggest? Will it be wise to take Mechanical Engineering for Bachelors and then move to Aerospace engineering for Masters?

Hi... I just saw this thread and thought I should respond as I was in similar situation some years ago. First of all, its impressive to see that you are thinking of studies up to MSc level at High School. Yes, it is perfectly normal to do a degree in Mechanical Engineering and then an MSc in Aerospace Engineering/ Aerospace Systems Engineering/ Aircraft Design Engineering. I had my first degree in Mechanical Engineering, my MSc in Mechanical Engineering and I'm currently doing a PhD in Aerospace Engineering research at Cranfield University. The Mechanical Engineering start I had has proved to be very, very useful in my Aerospace-focused research.

So, yes, go for it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AyyJeh
With Aerospace engineering, you can take a bachelors and then at any times you can just say "I'm going to do an extra year" and you can then do a masters. I'm from England and there are a lot of places that do aerospace engineering so I have my pick.

However, you could always do aeronautical engineering which is to do with space, astrophysics and all that shenanigans which I looked into and is pretty similar to aerospace engineering. I'd recommend you take a look at the specs for aerospace, aeronautical and mechanical and see which one is most appealing.

Good luck! :smile:

are you doing aerospace engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending