The Student Room Group

Is it a good idea to give homeless people money?

On the way to uni, I always see around 4 or 5 homeless people on the streets, so I decide to fill my wallet up with money so I can help as many as I can. I was wondering if this is wise or not because I've had people tell me that they may end up buying drugs or alcohol with the money. I just feel sorry for them so I want to at least give a little bit of help by giving them money. They're always really generous too.

P.S. I'm keeping myself anonymous so as to not make it seem as though I'm trying to build my ego cos that is not the case.

Edit: It looks like I can't make it anonymous. If anyone knows how to please tell me.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anonymous fail, now you'll be remembered as the guy who wanted to boost their ego. Lol.

I would say generally never but it really is circumstantial. Many will end up buying drugs or alcohol, you hardly feel like having a sandwich when your in that position. Could buy them some hot food and a drink instead if you really wanted to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pulse.
Anonymous fail, now you'll be remembered as the guy who wanted to boost their ego. Lol.

I would say generally never but it really is circumstantial. Many will end up buying drugs or alcohol, you hardly feel like having a sandwich when your in that position. Could buy them some hot food and a drink instead if you really wanted to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you're probablies right. It's just that I'm usually in a hurry to class so I don't have time to pop into the shop and wait in line to get some food for them, so I just give them money instead.

Anonymous fail indeed :/ Is there any way to make my post anonymous or is it only in certain topics/threads you can do that?
No. No, no, no.

No money, no food, no nothing. If they want it, they have to earn it. No handouts.
It's often better to offer to buy them some food from a nearby shop, that way you know they are spending the money on food AND they know you haven't tampered with the food (a valid concern for a lot of homeless people).

However that is inconvenient and time consuming, so it's your call.

I normally just drop a few coins in their cup/hat on impulse, I get to feel good and they get the decision to use the money to help themselves.

If they decide to spend the money on alcohol/drugs then that's their problem not mine, I tried to help and they threw away my help.

Just my blunt view.
Original post by #ChaosKass
No. No, no, no.

No money, no food, no nothing. If they want it, they have to earn it. No handouts.

That sounds like you want them to be your circus monkey.

They need money to get food, water and to clean their clothes + themselves.

Show a little empathy, or have I fallen for a troll trap again?
Original post by Dancatpro

There are other, actual legitimate, ways of earning money than sitting at the side of the road waiting for bleeding heart leftie liberals to hand over their savings. Ever heard of getting a job?
I did once give a guy money and see him in tesco later buying food with that money :smile: So I always give it when I can, just in case they do spend it on food. If they spend it on drugs, that's sad, but I don't want to punish people who need that money because others spend it poorly. I always try and but the Big Issue. I remember one guy selling the big issue helped carry my gran to the bus station when she collapsed. Always try and think the best of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are other, actual legitimate, ways of earning money than sitting at the side of the road waiting for bleeding heart leftie liberals to hand over their savings. Ever heard of getting a job?

Damn it, should have gone for my gut instinct like I normally do.

Try to be a little more convincing next time.

toodle-oo laddie/lassie

Please tell me this magical way of getting a job without a suit, address or bank account?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
I did once give a guy money and see him in tesco later buying food with that money :smile: So I always give it when I can, just in case they do spend it on food. If they spend it on drugs, that's sad, but I don't want to punish people who need that money because others spend it poorly. I always try and but the Big Issue. I remember one guy selling the big issue helped carry my gran to the bus station when she collapsed. Always try and think the best of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice :smile:
No, stop it. You're making the problem worse. Even homelessness charity Thames Reach says don't give them money http://www.thamesreach.org.uk/news-and-views/campaigns/giving-to-beggars/faq/

There are plenty of charities who you could give money to or volunteer your time with which would be doing some actual good.
I usually buy a couple of them breakfast from MacDonalds on my way to lectures in the mornings. I don't give money because I know they are drug addicts/alcoholics and at least I know they have a hot breakfast inside them.
You never know the day nor the hour when you might find yourself in the position they are in. X
Reply 13
No. No, no, no.

It's not as simple as that you silly prick

These are people who very often:

- Sleep on the streets
- Have no bank account
- Have no photo identification
- Have deeply offputting personal hygiene and poor appearance
- Suffer from mental health problems and addictions

Under such circumstances these people can't even gain membership of a public library, let alone a job.

More simply, I suggest you try sleeping rough for even just a few days and performing adequately in any steady job. Dickhead.
Original post by Dancatpro

Not a troll trap as such. Just a nasty, mean and spiteful individual who hasn't got a decent word to say to or for anyone and professes herself to be a Christian. Usually it's the poor or gay people who are on the receiving end of her vitriol.
Reply 15
In situations where you see the same person in the same place at the same time there is one very important thing you can do that like most people you are probably unaware of, which is to refer them to Streetlink who will dispatch a team of professionals to come to them at an allocated time.

You can make referrals here: http://www.streetlink.org.uk/
Original post by #Kassmole

Not quite easy if you haven't got a place of residence to begin with. You still need a place to sleep, have clean clothes for work (no one likes a stinker), to open a bank account so your employer can pay you, etc. There may be work arounds for this problem i.e. homeless shelters but it's usually not enough because it's more complicated than that. Some people do have mental health issues or have been kicked to the kerb so often (and not having any supportive peers around them) that they give up on life, work, etc. If those particular kinks are not addressed, you'll have (I know you'd love to say this....) VAGRANTS loitering around the streets not contributing much benefit to society.
You can always provide them with some food and drink. You do not have to buy them a full meal - Didn't eat all your meal/takeout? See if someone in need will take it. Again with if you purchase it and decide you don't like it. If you're just going to throw it in the bin anyway, why not try and give it to someone? Sure it won't massively help but it's a step in the right direction.

The best way to help would be to get in contact with local homeless shelters - Can they recommend things you should donate? Can they help you set up an even to raise money? How about volunteering with them?

There are people who are either pretending to be homeless, and there will be some who may purchase drugs or alcohol. However, there will also be a large amount of people who have found themselves in awful circumstances and need help (i.e death in family and can't afford house anymore, got fired, became disabled etc). I would rather help those that may not necessarily need it, than refuse to help someone who may genuinely be in desperate need because of a stereotype.

A small handful of change can go towards them getting food,drink, medicine (paracetamol, sanitary products etc) or towards transport to a safer area.

I have seen people make up little bags for handing out that normally includes things like some sanitary products, cleansing wipes, vouchers for food and drink, maybe some cash, could always throw in some leaflets for different charities. Even including like a little breakfast bar or something and some painkillers. Although, that admittedly is expensive, and pretty time consuming.

I would definitely recommend you get in touch with charities to volunteer though, because that'll have a larger impact (both in the number of people you can help and as well as how much help they receive), plus it always looks great on your CV.
At 68 years old, I have not forgotten a time when, as a young care leaver, I was homeless. There is no lower you can go than being without a roof over your head and being hungry and without the necessities of life. I remember that feeling to this day.
I am fully aware that some choose to be homeless and don't want the responsibility of running a home, paying bills etc, but they are very much in the minority. I'm not a Christian, I don't do religion, and I'm not a ****ing 'bleeding heart liberal' either. If I choose to take a few quid out of my Pension to buy a hot breakfast for someone is my business and no one else's.
Winter will be here soon, and not a good time to be at the very arse end of society. A hot chocolate or a bar of chocolate from the £1 shop won't break anyone's wallet.
Reply 19

Get off your high horse!

it could happen to you one day

and whos going to hire a bum who smells bad?

exactly...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending