The Student Room Group

Writing a personal statement based on portfolio and experience

I do not have the grades to get in to the universities I want. However, I do have the experience and a portfolio. I contacted universities and I am applying to ones that said they would consider an application from me.

I have tried looking for advice, but a lot of them are based around talking about your current grades and what you are expected to get when you finish your exams, which, obviously does not apply to me.

I wrote about my interest in the course (how I got interested in it, why I want to pursue it), talked about my work experience (an apprenticeship, all the different articles and events I have done), linked my portfolio, as well as mentioned throughout the portfolio why I feel as though I am capable of studying at degree level.

I have hit the line limit, but what I was wondering is;
Should I change it and mention the grades I do have? I felt as though with the focus being on portfolio and work experience that I should rather focus on that than having to be less detailed about all the different work experience I have. I mean it's not as if I meet the entry requirements anyway, what are your thoughts?

I did mention how I got an interest in the subject through watching documentaries and reading articles, but should I talk about other non-course related interests to make me seem more well rounded?
Original post by EmmaCx
I do not have the grades to get in to the universities I want. However, I do have the experience and a portfolio. I contacted universities and I am applying to ones that said they would consider an application from me.

I have tried looking for advice, but a lot of them are based around talking about your current grades and what you are expected to get when you finish your exams, which, obviously does not apply to me.

I wrote about my interest in the course (how I got interested in it, why I want to pursue it), talked about my work experience (an apprenticeship, all the different articles and events I have done), linked my portfolio, as well as mentioned throughout the portfolio why I feel as though I am capable of studying at degree level.

I have hit the line limit, but what I was wondering is;
Should I change it and mention the grades I do have? I felt as though with the focus being on portfolio and work experience that I should rather focus on that than having to be less detailed about all the different work experience I have. I mean it's not as if I meet the entry requirements anyway, what are your thoughts?

I did mention how I got an interest in the subject through watching documentaries and reading articles, but should I talk about other non-course related interests to make me seem more well rounded?

There is no point wasting characters talking about your grades - these have to be included in your application anyway.

Also, unrelated extra-curriculars are not recommended. Being a 'well-rounded individual' is a bit of an old-fashioned concept. Admissions tutors are only really interested in how interested you are in the course and what skills you have that you can apply to it.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte49
There is no point wasting characters talking about your grades - these have to be included in your application anyway.

Also, unrelated extra-curriculars are not recommended. Being a 'well-rounded individual' is a bit of an old-fashioned concept. Admissions tutors are only really interested in how interested you are in the course and what skills you have that you can apply to it.

Okay thank you! Yeah a few resources I had looked at said to try and appear more well rounded so they can get a feel for your personality, but I never understood why a university you're applying to would care about things completely unrelated to the course. Thanks again, put my mind at ease that I wouldn't have to redo and change everything in my application because I'm pretty satisfied with how much detail and variation I've put into my experience and portfolio.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending