The Student Room Group

How do we cope with the new English GCSEs?

The new English GCSEs are terrible. I had a high chance of getting an A/A* before they had changed them, but now my target has been moved to a 9 (which apparently is about 95%+ in the exams, losing about 3-4 marks...) which seems impossible. Honestly, I can't believe it. No books in the exam, so we have to remember characters, plots, context and quotes from three (!!!) books/plays. Then, on top of that, we have to remember what happens in 15 poems, along with context and quotes... Just why? How is this even possible? I don't see why this is a test of memory rather than real ability and capability. I'm never going to get an 8, never mind a 9!
Oh my gosh this is exactly what I've been thinking! Throughout the past year I've got A*s in my English assessments, often with only missing one or two marks, but I don't see how they expect us to do that in an exam!!! It's all so ridiculous - having to remember so much, and being marked so harshly!
Ikr! It's ridiculous! Why did they even have to change it?
fully agree! It is a memory test, not a knowledge test! we just have to memorize the books and poems. let's make a together a petition until is not too late, maybe somebody will hear it.
Original post by Abbie131
The new English GCSEs are terrible. I had a high chance of getting an A/A* before they had changed them, but now my target has been moved to a 9 (which apparently is about 95%+ in the exams, losing about 3-4 marks...) which seems impossible. Honestly, I can't believe it. No books in the exam, so we have to remember characters, plots, context and quotes from three (!!!) books/plays. Then, on top of that, we have to remember what happens in 15 poems, along with context and quotes... Just why? How is this even possible? I don't see why this is a test of memory rather than real ability and capability. I'm never going to get an 8, never mind a 9!

try a-level
Original post by Senseireynolds
try a-level

at least A-level is open book, no need to memorize texts
Do the extract question.
Original post by the_queen
at least A-level is open book, no need to memorize texts

memorising is the easy bit understanding is what separates the men from the boys ie a level high grades
Guys try going to the best school in your area and having to do this. Its such a nightmare and don't even get me started on my mock GCSEs in 3 weeks then a controlled assessment in 2 weeks and 3 ISAs coming up then boom actual GCSEs.
Reply 9
Try going to a school where the teacher tells you that you should get a 9 but refuses to give you a grade higher than an 8 in class even if you get 100%. Motivating.
Completely agree, it's turning into a memory test rather than analysis skills.
Memorising quotes isn't too hard as long as you get started early and are ''smart'' about it (e.g not picking lines and lines). It's not like you'll lose all your marks if they're not word for word either. Plus, you were going to have to remember the characters, plots, context, etc. whether it was an open book exam or not :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _Thomas
Try going to a school where the teacher tells you that you should get a 9 but refuses to give you a grade higher than an 8 in class even if you get 100%. Motivating.
Completely agree, it's turning into a memory test rather than analysis skills.

oh that cause u cant get a 9 yet. once all the exams have been taken the top 10% or something like that of students in the country will get a 9
Reply 12
Original post by Ohmygoshlucy
Guys try going to the best school in your area and having to do this. Its such a nightmare and don't even get me started on my mock GCSEs in 3 weeks then a controlled assessment in 2 weeks and 3 ISAs coming up then boom actual GCSEs.

ahaha I know that that feels like, but why are you doing all 3 ISAs in one go...? I did one in about March this year and one earlier on this month (only doing double)
Reply 13
I know omg. In our recent poetry assessment, you needed 30/30 to get a 9 and 28 to get an 8!! (Not sure whether this is accurate though) I managed to get a 7 but doubt I'll ever get to level 8 or 9 standard lol. Completely agree about it being a test of memory though
(edited 7 years ago)
Aghh completely agree-I'm the same as in trying to get an 8/9 and just have no idea at all what's going to happen tho thankfully I've got a decent English teacher.. also got all 3 ISA's at once after half term HELP

Quick Reply

Latest