The Student Room Group

Elaborating on points?

Hey,

I'm having real trouble padding out my points in GCSE eng lang. For instance, we had a question asking us to give positive reasons for mind altering techniques as given by the writers in two extracts [5 marks], and I feel like all i'm doing is giving a reason then quoting a supporting sentence/word five times.

I don't see how I'm meant to give any further insight into this, or am I not meant to for these sorts of questions?

Any advice appreciated!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AmeliaLost
Hey,

I'm having real trouble padding out my points in GCSE eng lang. For instance, we had a question asking us to give positive reasons for mind altering techniques as given by the writers in two extracts [5 marks], and I feel like all i'm doing is giving a reason then quoting a supporting sentence/word five times.

I don't see how I'm meant to give any further insight into this, or am I not meant to for these sorts of questions?

Any advice appreciated!

You are right in assuming you're not supposed to drag out your answers. With these types of questions it's a comprehension task. This means they want to know if you understood what you have just read by asking that sort of question.

All you need to do in similar questions is find about 3-4 examples such as "the author uses a simile to compare so and so". It's just really basic answers. No need to go into depth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending