The Student Room Group

Can you challenge or have an assessment changed ?

At my assessment I was told I could not have general expenses for printer cartridges and non-core books as its not covered at postgrad level. In addition, the assessor pointed out that my university library offers a postal book loan service.

It wasn't until I returned home from the assessment that I discovered general expenses is available for printer cartridges and non-core books at postgrad level, and the library postal loan service is only available to distance learners (I'm part time).I'm not sure if this can be challenged, and if so, what the connotations would be.

Its an uncomfortable situation to be in, and I would rather leave it alone if it had the potential to cause further issues down the line.
Did they explain why you couldn't have those things?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Did they explain why you couldn't have those things?
They said 'general expenses for printer cartridges and non-core books are not covered at postgrad level', and 'that I have a library postal loan service'. The assessor had incorrect information (not from me). The postal service is only for distance learners, I'm part time and do not have this facility.
Original post by Doriss
They said 'general expenses for printer cartridges and non-core books are not covered at postgrad level', and 'that I have a library postal loan service'. The assessor had incorrect information (not from me). The postal service is only for distance learners, I'm part time and do not have this facility.

Have you received the report yet? Usually they send you the whole report to proof-read and check you're happy with, before they send it off to the funding body. That might be a good time to bring it up, copying in the admin email address for the centre where you were assessed and maybe your uni's disability team too, so that your concerns get taken seriously :yes:
Reply 4
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Have you received the report yet? Usually they send you the whole report to proof-read and check you're happy with, before they send it off to the funding body. That might be a good time to bring it up, copying in the admin email address for the centre where you were assessed and maybe your uni's disability team too, so that your concerns get taken seriously :yes:
I opted to have the report go directly to the funding body to avoid any further delays as I'm well into my course and struggling medically :frown:
Original post by Doriss
I opted to have the report go directly to the funding body to avoid any further delays as I'm well into my course and struggling medically :frown:

Did you tick the box saying a copy could go to your disability team? Can you access the report via them? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Did you tick the box saying a copy could go to your disability team? Can you access the report via them? :smile:Posted from TSR Mobile
They wont receive a copy either. I think the next I will hear is from the funding body. With that in mind, can I ask for a general allowance to be added too, rather than amended too the original report - assuming the original assessor will agree to it.The question posed next Is what happens if the assessor does not agree to a general allowance, is there any appeal system ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
If you're not happy with anything to do with your assessment or the report, you should call or email your assessment centre.

I understand from others that books are only now very rarely reimbursed through DSAs. I found this paragraph online which seems to explain why:

Funding for general living costs, including books, equipment etc. is alreadyprovided through the maintenance support available to full-time undergraduatestudents. Part-time and the majority of Postgraduate students do not receivemaintenance support, as they are expected to self-fund their courses.

I believe that there is funding for PG students now, so it seems as if books would then be covered in the first sentence above if you are receiving that.
Reply 8
I obtained a current copy of the regulations regarding books (see below), there is book provision for undergraduate and postgraduate, what I find interesting is the section I have underlined. "Assessors should make it clear during the assessment that DSAs will only be provided to purchase non-core books where they are deemed to be essential and are not available through any other source. A ‘book allowance’ should not be recommended. Students should be signposted to their institution’s library services to access materials for their study."
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
As you've been advised before, you'll need to speak to your needs assessor again and ask him or her to reconsider submitting a recommendation. You could send them the links you've found, but reading all the info above, it looks like you'd still be expected to buy books as would any student, undergraduate or PG, with the funding you receive. Otherwise, you and your assessor would have to show that the specific book you need reimbursing for isn't available from any other source, as well as the normal disability related reasons.
Reply 10
Original post by Lovesick
As you've been advised before, you'll need to speak to your needs assessor again and ask him or her to reconsider submitting a recommendation. .
I've resolved the issue now..I'll be intrested to hear if anyone else had any issues with one of Brighton's assessment centres.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Doriss
I've resolved the issue now..I'll be intrested to hear if anyone else had any issues with one of Brighton's assessment centres.

Out of interest, what allowances did you receive?

Quick Reply

Latest