The Student Room Group

pilot studies

I want to do aeronautical engineering with pilot studies
I tried searching about wha is pilot studies does it mean you will be able to get a plane license
I just want to know in depth also does that include a year abroad
It would usually be the exams for a PPL plus a few flight hours, it's good value for money but you won't get a full PPL so will have to do about 30 flight hours extra and you may miss out on some content that may be useful later on, e.g. where I go to you may miss out on an FEA module (which is a very useful technique and used in later modules).

You could probably do the year abroad as well but people usually wouldn't and you would probably get awarded a degree in 'aerospace engineering with a year abroad' rather than 'aerospace engineering with a year abroad and pilot studies'.
Reply 2
Original post by Shadowfire123
I want to do aeronautical engineering with pilot studies
I tried searching about wha is pilot studies does it mean you will be able to get a plane license
I just want to know in depth also does that include a year abroad

Check the courses at each university

e.g. Liverpool: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/aerospace-engineering-with-pilot-studies-beng-hons/overview/

I note it provides 20 hours flying time but afaik you need 45 for a PPL.
Original post by jneill
Check the courses at each university

e.g. Liverpool: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/aerospace-engineering-with-pilot-studies-beng-hons/overview/

I note it provides 20 hours flying time but afaik you need 45 for a PPL.

thank you for showing me this
Original post by Helloworld_95
It would usually be the exams for a PPL plus a few flight hours, it's good value for money but you won't get a full PPL so will have to do about 30 flight hours extra and you may miss out on some content that may be useful later on, e.g. where I go to you may miss out on an FEA module (which is a very useful technique and used in later modules).

You could probably do the year abroad as well but people usually wouldn't and you would probably get awarded a degree in 'aerospace engineering with a year abroad' rather than 'aerospace engineering with a year abroad and pilot studies'.

what uni do you go.... and do you recommend for doing a year abroad than to pilot studies... i actually do want to get a commercial pilot license or PPL
i am looking for a uni that will allow to do for ppl in their courses
what uni do you go.... and do you recommend for doing a year abroad than to pilot studies... i actually do want to get a commercial pilot license or PPL
i am looking for a uni that will allow to do for ppl in their courses

I go to University of Sheffield. If it was one or the other I'd say year abroad is better, it's a more unique opportunity than doing a PPL.

I think you should consider whether you want to do aerospace engineering or just become a pilot though, they're quite different disciplines.
I go to University of Sheffield. If it was one or the other I'd say year abroad is better, it's a more unique opportunity than doing a PPL.

I think you should consider whether you want to do aerospace engineering or just become a pilot though, they're quite different disciplines.

i checked many university and one of them said thiis

The aerospace industry is increasingly in need of Systems Engineers with the skills to integrate modern communication systems with conventional aerospace systems to enhance aircraft performance. This variation to our Aerospace Systems Engineering degree can be the first step for those wishing to become professional pilots. It combines the multidisciplinary nature of the Aerospace Systems Engineering degree with pilot studies to a National Private Pilot’s Licence level and beyond. The compulsory flying experience is mainly in the Fourth Year, provided locally by a nationally recognised flight centre either in the UK or the USA. There are additional fees for this, but with an attractively discounted rate compared to other flight centres. There are also opportunities to do some flying in the First and Second Years as an extracurricular activity, including use of various flight simulators.

I tried looking for aerospace engineering courses at different university and came across one saying BEng (Hons) Aerospace Systems Engineering with Pilot Studies with Optional Sandwich Placement/ Study Abroad BEng (Hons)what does the aerospace systems engineering mean it is the same as aerospace engineeringcan someone please tell me
Reply 8
I tried looking for aerospace engineering courses at different university and came across one saying BEng (Hons) Aerospace Systems Engineering with Pilot Studies with Optional Sandwich Placement/ Study Abroad BEng (Hons)what does the aerospace systems engineering mean it is the same as aerospace engineeringcan someone please tell me

Just check the detailed course modules to see if they interest you. Also check its accredited. If so you're fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would guess that the Aerospace systems engineering course focuses more on the avionics side of things rather than propulsion or materials or aerodynamics.

some uni like hertforshire offers both the year abroad and pilot studies that why I was really keen to know more
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Just check the detailed course modules to see if they interest you. Also check its accredited. If so you're fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what does it mean if it is accredited by RAes Ceng ImechE IET
Reply 12
what does it mean if it is accredited by RAes Ceng ImechE IET

Google will tell you:

RAeS : Royal Aeronautical Society
CEng : Chartered Engineer
IMechE : Institution of Mechanical Engineers
IET : Institution of Engineering & Technology
Original post by jneill
Google will tell you:

RAeS : Royal Aeronautical Society
CEng : Chartered Engineer
IMechE : Institution of Mechanical Engineers
IET : Institution of Engineering & Technology

Ishould have elaborated
I know what they stand for as in what if it was not accredited and do these accrediation mean
Reply 14
Ishould have elaborated
I know what they stand for as in what if it was not accredited and do these accrediation mean

It means the course is accredited as meeting the academic requirements to becoming a Chartered Engineer by those organisations.

This is a good thing, and is what I'd expect to see.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
It means the cousrse is accredited as meeting the academic requirements to becoming a Chartered Engineer by those organisations.

This is a good thing, and is what I'd expect to see.

thank you so much for everything and would you recommend me anywhere for doing work experience,
I have actually searched and so far no luck has struck
Reply 16
thank you so much for everything and would you recommend me anywhere for doing work experience,
I have actually searched and so far no luck has struck

Work experience is not requirement for engineering courses.

Do you recommend after graduating from Aerospace engineering and then do an ATPL
Do you recommend after graduating from Aerospace engineering and then do an ATPL

I would say that most people who study Aero become very disinterested in flying commercially, and very few who do the pilot studies option even continue to finish their PPL.
I would say that most people who study Aero become very disinterested in flying commercially, and very few who do the pilot studies option even continue to finish their PPL.

I am thinking of doing a degree in aerospace but deciding if I should do Pilot studies or Year abroad which is both optional
but later would like to do a ATPL after my degree straight away

Quick Reply