The Student Room Group

Personal Statement HELP

wrong
(edited 7 years ago)
If you have done anything that is quite significant and can contribute to your course then yeah definetly include why you chose to do a gap year. Make sure you make your personal statement as personal to you as possible and don't just say things I done this and gained communication skills or whatever. Make every word as meaningful as you can.

For the intro maybe start with a personal experience for example I was born in Poland and then I moved here when I was 7. You could talk about how the economy has changed. Or you could bring in the middle eastern crisis, brexit and the two idiots trump and clinton. I realise what I said is very brief but I can't write it for you as you need to make it your own.

I wish you the best of luck with your personal statement and your offers!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alevelssuck_
If you have done anything that is quite significant and can contribute to your course then yeah definetly include why you chose to do a gap year. Make sure you make your personal statement as personal to you as possible and don't just say things I done this and gained communication skills or whatever. Make every word as meaningful as you can.

For the intro maybe start with a personal experience for example I was born in Poland and then I moved here when I was 7. You could talk about how the economy has changed. Or you could bring in the middle eastern crisis, brexit and the two idiots trump and clinton. I realise what I said is very brief but I can't write it for you as you need to make it your own.

I wish you the best of luck with your personal statement and your offers!

thanks :smile:, yeah i wanted to add a personal experience in the into bit but i just feel like i cannot use good words to make my ps wow
Original post by samantham999
thanks :smile:, yeah i wanted to add a personal experience in the into bit but i just feel like i cannot use good words to make my ps wow

Well theres always synonyms! But obviously check the definitions of the word before you use them and if you still need help I don't mind helping you out because I actually applied for econ and politics with a year abroad and I myself included a personal experience all throughout my entire personal statement so I'm sure Ill be able to help you in some way:biggrin:

Sooo if you need me just message me privately and I shall try my best to help you.
Well theres always synonyms! But obviously check the definitions of the word before you use them and if you still need help I don't mind helping you out because I actually applied for econ and politics with a year abroad and I myself included a personal experience all throughout my entire personal statement so I'm sure Ill be able to help you in some way:biggrin:

Sooo if you need me just message me privately and I shall try my best to help you.

Please don't encourage fellow applicants to share their PS with you - they have no way to know that you are who you say you are or that you'll be as careful with their PS as they are (plus they don't know that you know what you're talking about).

TSR contains tonnes of free resources to help with creating a PS:

PSs are hard - but writing about yourself and your interests well is a very useful skill. There is a whole BUNCH of resources to help you write your PS here on TSR including:
- Subject guides to writing your PS
- The TSR PS Builder which will help you draft your PS and give some automated feedback on what you've written.
- The PS Advice subforum - for all your PS related questions (DON'T POST YOUR PS HERE!)
- The TSR PS library - containing hundreds of PSs
- Suggested further reading for your PS
- The TSR PS Review service - for your final draft if you're an active TSR member then you can get a confidential review from a verified university student/graduate with experience in reviewing PSs.
Original post by PQ
Please don't encourage fellow applicants to share their PS with you - they have no way to know that you are who you say you are or that you'll be as careful with their PS as they are (plus they don't know that you know what you're talking about).

PSs are hard - but writing about yourself and your interests well is a very useful skill. There is a whole BUNCH of resources to help you write your PS here on TSR including:
- The TSR PS Builder which will help you draft your PS and give some automated feedback on what you've written.
- The PS Advice subforum - for all your PS related questions (DON'T POST YOUR PS HERE!)
- The TSR PS Review service - for your final draft if you're an active TSR member then you can get a confidential review from a verified university student/graduate with experience in reviewing PSs.

I didn't ask for her to send her personal statement to me I just said if she wants to talk about it and if she needs help with her ideas I would be more than happy to discuss them with her.
Original post by PQ

Do you mind not posting this on every thread about ucas? she never said anything of the sort. She said she could help me out if I had any more questions.
Original post by samantham999
Do you mind not posting this on every thread about ucas? she never said anything of the sort. She said she could help me out if I had any more questions.

I'm not posting it on every thread about UCAS - not even on every thread about PSs. I post it when unverified (and often unqualified) members encourage other applicants to PM them for help. We've had cases in the past of people sharing PS information without permission and just generally giving terrible (albeit well meaning) advice. The person offering to help you has barely finished writing their own PS (and might not even have submitted it to UCAS yet) after asking repeatedly for help on TSR about what universities are looking for and how admissions selection works - I doubt they're particularly qualified to offer any insight into how your PS can be improved.

That's WHY TSR has a group of verified PS reviewers and it's why we have a whole forum to answer these sorts of questions (plus all of the resources I directed you towards).

But if you don't want that help that's duly noted.

Good luck with your application.
Original post by PQ
I'm not posting it on every thread about UCAS - not even on every thread about PSs. I post it when unverified (and often unqualified) members encourage other applicants to PM them for help. We've had cases in the past of people sharing PS information without permission and just generally giving terrible (albeit well meaning) advice. The person offering to help you has barely finished writing their own PS (and might not even have submitted it to UCAS yet) after asking repeatedly for help on TSR about what universities are looking for and how admissions selection works - I doubt they're particularly qualified to offer any insight into how your PS can be improved.

That's WHY TSR has a group of verified PS reviewers and it's why we have a whole forum to answer these sorts of questions (plus all of the resources I directed you towards).

But if you don't want that help that's duly noted.

Sorry that I can't ask questions to double check stuff for my personal statement. For your information I sent my application off today:smile:
Sorry that I can't ask questions to double check stuff for my personal statement. For your information I sent my application off today:smile:

That wasn't my point.

Quick Reply