The Student Room Group

Postgraduate applicants 2017/2018

Scroll to see replies

I posted a similar response in the Cambridge thread. Does anybody have an example of a structured personal statement that they looked at and kept in mind while writing their own? The requirements seem to be different than what I'm used to in the US, and I want to be sure that I get it right.

Thanks!
I am currently working on drafts of my personal statement and preparing for applications. I should be sending them out by the end of the month... Is that leaving it too late, considering that I am an international student and people seem to be already getting offers?
Original post by RandomCurrent
I am currently working on drafts of my personal statement and preparing for applications. I should be sending them out by the end of the month... Is that leaving it too late, considering that I am an international student and people seem to be already getting offers?

I gave my references a deadline of November 15th, as they are really busy with university courses. I'll be submitting my materials -- from the US, I'm international, too -- by November 15th at the latest.

I can't work to an earlier deadline due to the references... I'm not too worried about it. When I researched schools, it looked like many programs (with high league table rankings, too) were still accepting applicants for the 2016 academic year up through August. I'm less freaked out about the deadlines because of that.
Original post by etoile89
I gave my references a deadline of November 15th, as they are really busy with university courses. I'll be submitting my materials -- from the US, I'm international, too -- by November 15th at the latest.

I can't work to an earlier deadline due to the references... I'm not too worried about it. When I researched schools, it looked like many programs (with high league table rankings, too) were still accepting applicants for the 2016 academic year up through August. I'm less freaked out about the deadlines because of that.

I see. I wonder how the admissions office works in this case, aren't the number of seats for a particular course limited? I can understand that they'll put forward conditional offers for students like me, who will have to satisfy their English Language requirements - I'm from India - but if they give out offers this early, isn't that basically reducing the chances of students who apply a bit late, maybe in December, say? As it is, getting references is going to be one uphill task for me, I don't think anyone in Indian schools/colleges quite understands the concept of it, they just write 5 generic lines. :/
Original post by RandomCurrent
I see. I wonder how the admissions office works in this case, aren't the number of seats for a particular course limited? I can understand that they'll put forward conditional offers for students like me, who will have to satisfy their English Language requirements - I'm from India - but if they give out offers this early, isn't that basically reducing the chances of students who apply a bit late, maybe in December, say? As it is, getting references is going to be one uphill task for me, I don't think anyone in Indian schools/colleges quite understands the concept of it, they just write 5 generic lines. :/

If you are concerned, I would reach out to the international office or the director of graduate admissions to see if there is any benefit to applying in advance of the deadline. I don't necessarily think there is: universities are money making institutions. Based on the fact that some universities -- high on the league tables, too -- still have openings so late in the year makes me think that these spots don't all get filled.
Joining the thread! Currently studying my masters and applying for PhD programmes at:

UCL
KCL
Goldsmiths
I narrowed down my list and will be sending off my applications this week -- and then Oxbridge by November 15th. :biggrin:

- Durham - MA in History
- York - MA in Modern History
- Exeter - MA History
- Oxford - MSt in US History
- Cambridge - MPhil in American History
this is so nerve-wracking and exciting!! i'm applying for;

york - literature of the romantic period
kcl - eighteenth century studies
oxford - english literature 1700-1830
qmul - eighteenth century literature & romanticism

i'm hoping to apply by mid novemberish once i get my personal statement sorted and have decided exactly what written work to send off. i forgot how terrifying it is to be applying for academic things again haha, it feels even more terrifying than applying for a BA!!

i'm toying with applying for cambridge as well but i don't think the course will suit me as i am not very inclined to theory, which seems to dominate their english courses. hmm.
Original post by _lifegoeson

i'm hoping to apply by mid novemberish once i get my personal statement sorted and have decided exactly what written work to send off. i forgot how terrifying it is to be applying for academic things again haha, it feels even more terrifying than applying for a BA!!

i'm toying with applying for cambridge as well but i don't think the course will suit me as i am not very inclined to theory, which seems to dominate their english courses. hmm.

The Cambridge application also is so much longer!!!! I am working on my Oxford application and it's a lot easier to complete.

I looooove that there are rolling admissions for so many of these schools. :biggrin:
I hate waiting so much - sent my application off to UCL on 14th October, and it feels like I've been waiting forever :frown:
Reply 50
Original post by Anna.Karenina
I hate waiting so much - sent my application off to UCL on 14th October, and it feels like I've been waiting forever :frown:

I sent mine to UCL on October 3rd and haven't heard anything yet either.
Original post by thpeu
I sent mine to UCL on October 3rd and haven't heard anything yet either.

What have you applied for? :smile:
Reply 52
What have you applied for? :smile:

I, too, have applied for UCL around the same date that you applied

The wait is killing me and it is so nerve wrecking and making me all sorts of timid!

How do you cope?!
Original post by Twooz
I, too, have applied for UCL around the same date that you applied

The wait is killing me and it is so nerve wrecking and making me all sorts of timid!

How do you cope?!

What did you apply for?
I'm checking the Portico every few hours like a madman, but as it's been two weeks since my application was completed, I know I'm a third of the way through my wait :-)
Got an email from UCL to say I'll find out the decision for one of my postgraduate applications at midnight tonight! Msc Linguistics and Neuroscience :s-smilie:
Got an email from UCL to say I'll find out the decision for one of my postgraduate applications at midnight tonight! Msc Linguistics and Neuroscience

Best of luck! Keep us informed! I take you're staying up?
Original post by Noodlzzz
Best of luck! Keep us informed! I take you're staying up?

Oh yes :tongue: Also because I have a 10 month old I'm usually up to 3am regardless of UCL :wink:
Got an email from UCL to say I'll find out the decision for one of my postgraduate applications at midnight tonight! Msc Linguistics and Neuroscience

Hey, good luck!
Reply 58

when did you apply? I applied a month ago and haven't heard anything whatsoever :frown: good luck!
Reply 59
What have you applied for?

Digital Media, Culture and Education :smile: feel like I stick out like a sore thumb in this chat haha. I feel like everyone is doing science haha

Quick Reply

Latest