The Student Room Group

BSc or MMath?

Hey!

I was wondering for Manchester Met, I'm interested in doing Mathematics. I was wondering I'm also very interested in studying a postgraduate course in Mathematics as well.

At Manchester Met they offer a BSc course as well as a MMath course with the same entry requirements. I should apply for MMath course if im interested in doing the degree with further study after the 3 years?

BSc Mathematics: G100
MMath Mathematics: 8H16

Any ideas?
Original post by bhfn
Hey!

I was wondering for Manchester Met, I'm interested in doing Mathematics. I was wondering I'm also very interested in studying a postgraduate course in Mathematics as well.

At Manchester Met they offer a BSc course as well as a MMath course with the same entry requirements. I should apply for MMath course if im interested in doing the degree with further study after the 3 years?

BSc Mathematics: G100
MMath Mathematics: 8H16

Any ideas?

If you like the look of both then always apply for the longer course.

It's easier to swap from a long course to a shorter one than from a short one to a longer one.

Note an MMath is NOT a postgraduate qualification - it is an enhanced undergraduate qualification. A MSc in Maths will generally be 180 credits, with an MMath you will have an extra year with 120 credits.
hmm Just curious why you choose Manchester met over Portsmouth for maths. Portsmouth are better and have better job prospects. Also their entry requirements are lower. CCC vs BCC.

I don't know what grades your expecting but if higher you should have better options. I mean most of the elite universities expect AAB or better which can be very hard to get then it drops off after that. There is no shame in BBC etc just if your thinking of a masters in maths then one would think you would be hitting A or better. I assume your doing further maths so AAB+ otherwise its a bit strange to be thinking of a masters.

I thought area might be an issue but then you have Manchester university. They are Russel group and significantly higher up the table then manchester met.

I know PQ and Jneil try to tell me the teaching is better at weaker universities (I am skeptical) However Manchester university was one of the first universities i looked at for maths and they appear to have good teaching for it. Further their salary expectation is significantly better.

not knocking it just curious.
Reply 3
Original post by Luke7456
I know PQ and Jneil try to tell me the teaching is better at weaker universities .

I doubt I've ever said "teaching is better at weaker universities". It would entirely depend on your usage of the word "weaker".

But I have certainly said, for example, courses at some non-RG universities can be as good or better than RG.

That's not the same thing at all...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I doubt I've ever said "teaching is better at weaker universities". It would entirely depend on your usage of the word "weaker".

But I have certainly said, for example, courses at some non-RG universities can be as good or better than RG.

That's not the same thing at all...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay fair enough I guess that could be true in some cases such as Bath, Lough Borough and Surrey been better then Liverpool for maths etc. However it gets a bit silly when you try implying that Sheffield Hallam, and Hull are better then Bristol both generally and for maths.

I guess I would agree on do your research and fact check universities for your subject before applying. As a generic Rule Russel group universities are better but I yes there are exceptions.

Maybe I will just go to an ivy league uni in the states. at the moment it is to expensive but trump is talking about bringing fees down if he gets in. don't have details though and not sure if that would affect international students or not.

If trump actually taught at Trump university it would have been worth going, but he doesn't so it isn't. Imagine been taught maths by Donald Trump.
"were going to rationalize that denominator, Oh we will rationalize that denominator alright" "get them out of here, you know what we used to do to denominators in my day"

I like his character.
Reply 5
However it gets a bit silly when you try implying that Sheffield Hallam, and Hull are better then Bristol both generally and for maths.

Where I have said that?
Original post by jneill
Where I have said that?

He's referring to the fact that it's likely that Bristol will have to put in a good case to avoid a Bronze rating in the TEF (due to poor benchmarked NSS results) but Hallam and Hull are likely to be rated Silver.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
He's referring to the fact that it's likely that Bristol will have to put in a good case to avoid a Bronze rating in the TEF (due to poor benchmarked NSS results) but Hallam and Hull are likely to be rated Silver.

Ah. Those pesky students with their unsatisfactions...

Posted from TSR Mobile
its an old debate im not going over it again, I doubt the ranking body would be stupid enough to start ranking our world class universities as bronze there by implying to the whole world that actually they are crap. Because universities dont get into the world rankings just on merit of been british if we lose top 100 universites from the rankings our other universities wont rise up to take their place we will just lose our reputation for world class universities.

we can debate this until the cows come home but its a fruitless convo we are all just speculating. we will just have to wait and see what they do.
Reply 9
we can debate this until the cows come home but its a fruitless convo we are all just speculating. we will just have to wait and see what they do.

It's also off-topic to the OP. So let's leave it there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
hmm Just curious why you choose Manchester met over Portsmouth for maths. Portsmouth are better and have better job prospects. Also their entry requirements are lower. CCC vs BCC.

I don't know what grades your expecting but if higher you should have better options. I mean most of the elite universities expect AAB or better which can be very hard to get then it drops off after that. There is no shame in BBC etc just if your thinking of a masters in maths then one would think you would be hitting A or better. I assume your doing further maths so AAB+ otherwise its a bit strange to be thinking of a masters.

I thought area might be an issue but then you have Manchester university. They are Russel group and significantly higher up the table then manchester met.

I know PQ and Jneil try to tell me the teaching is better at weaker universities (I am skeptical) However Manchester university was one of the first universities i looked at for maths and they appear to have good teaching for it. Further their salary expectation is significantly better.

not knocking it just curious.

The issue is that I'm restricted to top universities, due to me having a BTEC Diploma and A level mixture. I'm predicted D*D*B, but I believe I could go on to achieve an A in maths.

I'm not to sure about portsmouth, I have no actual interest in applying to universities south of england, unless its London. My main interests of location would be Midlands/North West. I did get into contact with Manchester, they required D*D* and an A*.
Original post by bhfn
The issue is that I'm restricted to top universities, due to me having a BTEC Diploma and A level mixture. I'm predicted D*D*B, but I believe I could go on to achieve an A in maths.

I'm not to sure about portsmouth, I have no actual interest in applying to universities south of england, unless its London. My main interests of location would be Midlands/North West. I did get into contact with Manchester, they required D*D* and an A*.

Have you considered self-teaching Further Maths in order to broaden your options?
Reply 12
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Have you considered self-teaching Further Maths in order to broaden your options?

I don't believe I would be able to since my school wouldn't believe in me enough to do that, as well as that wouldn't it be too late to self teach myself Further maths in about 7 months?
Original post by bhfn
Wouldn't it be too late to self teach myself Further maths in about 7 months?

It isn't too late, no. Christmas holidays are a good time to start.
Although before attempting such a thing, it'd be best to email around to see what unis say. There's no point doing it unnecessarily. The knowledge is good but the exams can be expensive.

Have you considered Liverpool?
Flip a coin.
Reply 15
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
It isn't too late, no. Christmas holidays are a good time to start.
Although before attempting such a thing, it'd be best to email around to see what unis say. There's no point doing it unnecessarily. The knowledge is good but the exams can be expensive.

Have you considered Liverpool?

I agree. I have just emailed Liverpool regarding my A Level/BTEC situation, I shall see what they say.
Original post by bhfn
I agree. I have just emailed Liverpool regarding my A Level/BTEC situation, I shall see what they say.

Liverpool is awful for maths have you tried looking at exam solutions it is a great site. there is about 10 hours of videos per module (i am guessing) but that wont be to far off. If you watch videos make sure you understand it and take notes your already at B/scraping A standard then practice questions then you should be at A/A* standard then practice more and you have your A*

its doable seriously.
Reply 17
Liverpool is awful for maths have you tried looking at exam solutions it is a great site. there is about 10 hours of videos per module (i am guessing) but that wont be to far off. If you watch videos make sure you understand it and take notes your already at B/scraping A standard then practice questions then you should be at A/A* standard then practice more and you have your A*

its doable seriously.

I understand, i did the same thing last year, i was really disappointed, i was consistently getting 80+ UMS in all three modules, however when it came to the exam, i guess the exam pressure got to me.

Thank you anyways!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
I understand, i did the same thing last year, i was really disappointed, i was consistently getting 80+ UMS in all three modules, however when it came to the exam, i guess the exam pressure got to me.

Thank you anyways!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Picking an old post?

What are thoughts on future of Maths? How are Manchester, Bristol for maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending