The Student Room Group

Medicine A100 Leeds 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maza4499
Hi guys, I got 8 A*'s, 2 A's and 2 B's at GCSE, 4 A's at As-level and predicted 3 A*'s for A2. I feel like I have a very strong personal statment. How many points would I get and is it good enough to apply (ie compared to the other years)?

what would be the minimum and ideal BMAT score that I would need?

I think anything above 4.5 on section 1 & 2 will be fine and 3A on section 3. Tbh you'd get the full academic score cos of you AS grades so it doesn't matter too much if your bmat score is low although better to be safe aim for 5+

Do you fulfill all th criteria on their website for what they look for in a PS like motivation,social awareness, interest,empathy....? They're really heavy on the personal statement it has to be really good and reflective
Reply 41
Original post by Chillipaneerii
I think anything above 4.5 on section 1 & 2 will be fine and 3A on section 3. Tbh you'd get the full academic score cos of you AS grades so it doesn't matter too much if your bmat score is low although better to be safe aim for 5+

Do you fulfill all th criteria on their website for what they look for in a PS like motivation,social awareness, interest,empathy....? They're really heavy on the personal statement it has to be really good and reflective

Yah the people that checked my personal statment thought it was good so I hope it will be good enough. I haven't done any work for BMAT yet but after the UKCAT I feel scared of getting a low BMAT score. Do ppl aplying from the Access to Leeds get special concideration or a seperate selection proccess.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
It's quite humorous how the BMAT has literally destroyed the number of applicants for Leeds. It used to be one of the most popular medical schools.

Oh well, less competition.

Is that so?
That's great news lool
Where else are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I've only recently decided to do the bmat so feeling very unprepared (due to bad UKCAT). I don't understand the academic scoring at Leeds. If I have 4A*s 8As at GCSE and 4As at AS which are all linear but the one I dropped (English Lit) would I get credited for my a levels and have full academic marks or just my GCSEs which I don't think particularly stand out compared to some other people. I am also doing two volunteering placements at a neuro rehab centre and care home which I have talked about a lot in my PS as I'm really enjoying them.
Imperial, UCL and BSMS. It would be very awkward if I screw my BMAT now

Woooooaaaaah good luck 3 bmat unis is a risk but hopefully it will be ok
It's actually 4 including this one, lol.

Woah dude, all BMAT Unis Wow. I admirw your Bravery. Did you really not like your UKCAT that much? xD
If you can boss your BMAT, then you would have actually pulled this off and live to inspire other young'uns

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find it really difficult to focus on the UKCAT. It's a very boring test; the BMAT is a lot more interesting. I actually didn't bother taking the UCKAT, so I don't know what score I would've got, had I taken it.

It's good you find the BMAT more intersting. I agree. It's just that more interesting =harder
Original post by Bright_Gift
It's good you find the BMAT more intersting. I agree. It's just that more interesting =harder

I definitely don't find section 1 interesting!!!! I can't do 3 questions without day dreaming lol
Original post by Mathsmad123
I definitely don't find section 1 interesting!!!! I can't do 3 questions without day dreaming lol

Loool

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a question wrt to BMAT, how do leeds use it and what is the weight assigned to it, does anyone know?after looking at their website, im still none the wiser
Original post by Window16
I had a question wrt to BMAT, how do leeds use it and what is the weight assigned to it, does anyone know?after looking at their website, im still none the wiser

5 points out of a possible 40. 27 Points for GCSE/AS, 8 points for A2 predicted or achieved and 5 for BMAT.
5 points out of a possible 40. 27 Points for GCSE/AS, 8 points for A2 predicted or achieved and 5 for BMAT.

Can i ask where you got this info from and would you know average bmat scores for last year
Original post by Window16
Can i ask where you got this info from and would you know average bmat scores for last year

Freedom of information request.
And national average was around 4.5 for each section. People got into Leeds with BMAT scores of 3.5 last year as they had a full academic score.
Freedom of information request.
And national average was around 4.5 for each section. People got into Leeds with BMAT scores of 3.5

Thanks fot the info. Much appreciated. Just nervous about bmat. Trying to prepare. Any tips or pointers. ?
Reply 54
No, there are 8 points for achieved or predicted A levels and 27 points for GCSE or AS.

How are the points scored for the predicted A2's? I achieved AAAA at AS so I assume I get the 27 points for that and have already achieved A*AA, so how many point would that be out of 8??
Reply 55
8/8

That's great thanks!!
Reply 56
hey there
Ive achieved 6A stars and 6As at GCSEs and am doing three A-levels: two are linear (chemistry and biology so I dont have AS marks), and the third A-level is Politics which I got A in for AS. I got a B in maths AS but I dropped it. I am predicted AAA. Would that get me full marks for the academic scoring for Leeds?

Also If I got something like 4.1 average would that be enough?

Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by srashid3
hey there
Ive achieved 6A stars and 6As at GCSEs and am doing three A-levels: two are linear (chemistry and biology so I dont have AS marks), and the third A-level is Politics which I got A in for AS. I got a B in maths AS but I dropped it. I am predicted AAA. Would that get me full marks for the academic scoring for Leeds?

Also If I got something like 4.1 average would that be enough?

Thank you

You would get 24/27 for academic score. My GUESS is that you would need around 4.8 to move onto the next stage.
Reply 58
Unlikely. Considering the fact that around 40% of applicants apply with full academic score, they're going to need more than an average BMAT score to compensate. To overturn that deficit of 3 points, a top band BMAT score is ideal. To get 5 points for the BMAT, you would've needed a combined score of 14.7 last year, IIRC. So something like 5.6 5.6 3.5A.

Alas my future looks bleak
Reply 59
Unlikely. Considering the fact that around 40% of applicants apply with full academic score, they're going to need more than an average BMAT score to compensate. To overturn that deficit of 3 points, a top band BMAT score is ideal. To get 5 points for the BMAT, you would've needed a combined score of 14.7 last year, IIRC. So something like 5.6 5.6 3.5A.

how big a part does my personal statement play in all of this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending