The Student Room Group

Is my teacher being rude or should I just listen to her?

I was 3 marks off an A this year in biology. I think I did badly due to the choice of book; however, I've bought the better book this year so I think I should do well. However, I learn by reading the book and doing lots of summary questions and past paper questions. My teacher criticised me today and said I won't get an A in biology because I don't take notes and I would only get an A if I had a photographic memory. To be honest, I have a very good memory. I didn't take notes for chemistry and got an A. Honestly, should I ignore her and write her off as *****iness because I want to? But at the same time, I don't want to be ignorant.
Original post by APersonYo
I was 3 marks off an A this year in biology. I think I did badly due to the choice of book; however, I've bought the better book this year so I think I should do well. However, I learn by reading the book and doing lots of summary questions and past paper questions. My teacher criticised me today and said I won't get an A in biology because I don't take notes and I would only get an A if I had a photographic memory. To be honest, I have a very good memory. I didn't take notes for chemistry and got an A. Honestly, should I ignore her and write her off as *****iness because I want to? But at the same time, I don't want to be ignorant.

She sounds like she doesn't know what she's on about

youre doing a levels now not GCSE, you know how you revise best

it seems a bit close-minded to say you have to have a photographic memory to do well in exams...

I barely took notes and I got 3 A*s. I relied entirely on my memory and honing my evaluative skills.

Although she's going about it in a very bad way, she's trying to offer you advice. Taking notes can be a good way to further cement stuff in your brain as a lot of people learn by writing. I copied out one of my textbooks as part of my revision and it served me well.

That said, it doesn't mean you have to jot down everything. A few well-selected notes here and there might be useful.
It's very discouraging to be giving a lesson with your students just looking at you and not taking any notes down. You're probably looking into this way too much - I'd guess she just wanted you to take notes. Take notes if you want, don't take notes if you don't want to. I don't think this is that big a deal.

x
Reply 4
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I barely took notes and I got 3 A*s. I relied entirely on my memory and honing my evaluative skills.

Although she's going about it in a very bad way, she's trying to offer you advice. Taking notes can be a good way to further cement stuff in your brain as a lot of people learn by writing. I copied out one of my textbooks as part of my revision and it served me well.

That said, it doesn't mean you have to jot down everything. A few well-selected notes here and there might be useful.

Thats what I do!! I think, I agree with a few notes here and there, but you really just need to memorise the book.
Woah, how long did it take to copy out the whole book??

If what you are doing is working for you then keep doing it.

Hey, I'm the exact same. I don't take notes and one of my subjects is law and I'm working at an A*. I just don't see the point in making notes. As long as you understand what she is talking about in class, keep doing what your doing. It's not really her decision :tongue:
Woah, how long did it take to copy out the whole book??

Quite a few weeks. :colondollar:
Goodness, your teacher is trying to help you.

You have a "very good memory" but didn't get an A. Maybe not that good then...

Take notes AND read the textbooks AND practise past questions. They all help you remember the content.

Quick Reply

Latest