The Student Room Group

History Applicants for 2017 Entry Thread!

Hi,

There isn't many History threads for 2017 entry on here so I thought I'd make one!

Please feel free to share your choices/offers/grades/predicted grades or just have a general chat about History courses!

I'm a Scottish applicant but everyone is welcome!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jmalley1
Hi,

There isn't many History threads for 2017 on here and I've applied for History and Sociology to start next year.

I've applied to Glasgow, Strathclyde, Stirling, Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

I'd love to know what Uni's you're all applying/have applied for and if you have received any offers yet!

Might be good if people wanted to say where they have applied, what GCSE's and AS's (or equivalent) they already have,what they are predicted and where applying. I'll start things off:

GCSE's: 4A*6A
AS: AAAAB
A2(predicted): A*AA
Applying: Nottingham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Leeds and Birmingham
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by theftse1999
Might be good if people wanted to say where they have applied, what GCSE's and AS's (or equivalent) they already have,what they are predicted and where applying. I'll start things off:

GCSE's: 4A*6A
AS: AAAAB
A2(predicted): A*AA
Applying: Nottingham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Leeds and Birmingham

Thanks! I'll do it too - I'll put my course/offers on too!

Course: History/Sociology
National5/Intermediate2: AAAABBBB
Higher: AAAB
Predicted: N/A
Applying: Glasgow, Strathclyde, Stirling, Aberdeen, (chancing) Edinburgh.
Offers: Unconditional for Glasgow and a rejection from Strathclyde.

My grades aren't amazing - so I'm hoping that my personal statement will help me a lot.
Reply 3
Single Honours History applicant here, I'm from Scotland too!

Applied to (order of preference): Cambridge, St Andrews (Modern History), Glasgow (economic and social history), Edinburgh, Strathclyde

Offers from: just Glasgow so far, unconditional! :smile:
Grades: N5 7 As/ Higher 5 A1s
Predicted: Advanced Higher 3As

I'm surprised glasgow gave you an unconditional but you got rejected by Strathclyde?? Glasgow is better I thought?? I'm hoping to hear back from Edinburgh and Strathclyde soon as I know they give offers before the 15th Jan deadline (unlike St Andrews, and Cambridge is a whole other process!!)

Update: just got an unconditional to strathcylde
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSE's: 6A*4As
AS: AAAAA
A2(predicted): A*A*A*A*
Applying: Oxford, Durham, Exeter (offer), Warwick (offer), York (offer)
Reply 5
Original post by nat5
Single Honours History applicant here, I'm from Scotland too!

Applied to (order of preference): Cambridge, St Andrews (Modern History), Glasgow (economic and social history), Edinburgh, Strathclyde

Offers from: just Glasgow so far, unconditional! :smile:
Grades: N5 7 As/ Higher 5 A1s
Predicted: Advanced Higher 3As

I'm surprised glasgow gave you an unconditional but you got rejected by Strathclyde?? Glasgow is better I thought?? I'm hoping to hear back from Edinburgh and Strathclyde soon as I know they give offers before the 15th Jan deadline (unlike St Andrews, and Cambridge is a whole other process!!)

I applied for History and Education at Strathy, and History/Sociology everywhere else so I think it was my PS for Strathy that let me down.

Well done on your uconditional! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by alevelpain
GCSE's: 6A*4As
AS: AAAAA
A2(predicted): A*A*A*A*
Applying: Oxford, Durham, Exeter (offer), Warwick (offer), York (offer)

Those grades are impressive omg! Are your offers conditional or unconditional?
Reply 7
I applied for Ancient History.

GCSE's: 2A* 4As 3Bs
AS: ACD
A2 predicted:ABB
Applying: Birmingham, Newcastle, Cardiff, Manchester (Conditional offer), Kent (Conditional offer)
Reply 8
Original post by labessie
I applied for Ancient History.

GCSE's: 2A* 4As 3Bs
AS: ACD
A2 predicted:ABB
Applying: Birmingham, Newcastle, Cardiff, Manchester (Conditional offer), Kent (Conditional offer)

Ancient History sounds so interesting - I would of loved to study it!
I want to be a teacher though so I went for more all round courses!
Im another Scottish applicant! And I've also applied to a range of courses but history features in most of them!

Nat 5s: AAAAAAAA
Highers: AAAAA
Advanced Highers predicted: AAA
Applying: Oxford, LSE, Warick(offer) for hispol. St. Andrews (modern history & economics) Edinburgh (politics & economics)
Reply 10
Original post by Lauren1498x
Im another Scottish applicant! And I've also applied to a range of courses but history features in most of them!

Nat 5s: AAAAAAAA
Highers: AAAAA
Advanced Highers predicted: AAA
Applying: Oxford, LSE, Warick(offer) for hispol. St. Andrews (modern history & economics) Edinburgh (politics & economics)

Those grades are seriously good!
Where abouts in Scotland are you? :smile:
Those grades are seriously good!
Where abouts in Scotland are you? :smile:

thank you!! Almost died trying to do higher maths lol😂 And the closest big place I'm near to is Aberdeen!
Reply 12
thank you!! Almost died trying to do higher maths lol😂 And the closest big place I'm near to is Aberdeen!

I actually had to drop Higher maths! English-y subjects are what I'm better at...numbers and I don't get along! :smile:

I'm from Glasgow - I've applied to Aberdeen Uni but it's my last choice because it's so far away! :smile:
I actually had to drop Higher maths! English-y subjects are what I'm better at...numbers and I don't get along! :smile:

I'm from Glasgow - I've applied to Aberdeen Uni but it's my last choice because it's so far away! :smile:

I wanted to do AH maths and do economics instead of history :frown: Aberdeen uni is actually really nice I've worked in their history department it's actually so good
Reply 14
I wanted to do AH maths and do economics instead of history :frown: Aberdeen uni is actually really nice I've worked in their history department it's actually so good

I never thought it would be bad - its just the practicality of it when i have an unconditional for Glasgow and its nearer me! :smile:

Honestly though the thought of AH Maths makes me cringe so hard omg
I never thought it would be bad - its just the practicality of it when i have an unconditional for Glasgow and its nearer me! :smile:

Honestly though the thought of AH Maths makes me cringe so hard omg

I started off the year fine and my teacher was like yeah of course do AH and then halfway through i died 😂 Only 4 people in my class got an A though so must have been lucky
Applied to Oxford and Exeter for History and Politics, UCL for History, Kings College London and LSE for History and International Relations
So far have only had confirmation emails-suspense is killing me!
Reply 17
I started off the year fine and my teacher was like yeah of course do AH and then halfway through i died 😂 Only 4 people in my class got an A though so must have been lucky

Maths does that to people :smile:

I was the only person in my year to get an A in Photography and I did the whole course in a month and a half!
Miracles happen!
Anyone applying for History at English or Welsh Universities ....... ?
Reply 19
Original post by Bella909
Applied to Oxford and Exeter for History and Politics, UCL for History, Kings College London and LSE for History and International Relations
So far have only had confirmation emails-suspense is killing me!

Ahhhhh I know the feeling! I've had an offer and a rejection so far - and I'm dying to hear from Edinburgh!!

Can't cope with waiting :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending