The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Offer from Exeter earlier this week
Original post by Risobelle
if you score below 20 for your LNAT the unis you selected will automatically reject you. doesn't matter if you've stated in your personal statement that you've done charity work or helped out at the food bank or gone out to the real world to stack shelves at Waitrose. you've done a risky thing by choosing only LNAT unis. if you are rejected by all the unis then you only have yourself to blame for having wasted so much time on this forum instead of poring over your books.

LNAT provides weighting to an application, it doesn't mean that you get rejected if you don't do that well.

Source: Oxford open day
Original post by academia153
Since your whole application seems very impressive, just getting the cut-off point for the LNAT (approx. 25/42) should be sufficient for UCL, KCL, Durham and York and it should get you shortlisted for Oxford. :smile:

Thanks for the info! Luckily that's about what I got in the practice tests. Is that what the unis say their cut-off is or is that just what is the case from looking at who gets offers?

Hopefully I'll get high 20's but I doubt that somewhat. I'm a slow reader who easily gets overwhelmed and distracted by reading for a prolonged period.
Original post by caitlindunn
Thank you so much, that's super helpful! I was pretty worried because I was averaging 36/42 in the MCQs and, like you, still having time to spare. It just felt like it was supposed to be harder. I think the essay is what's going to be my main issue now as I really like to know everything I possibly can before writing and I'm worried I might panic and blank out because I'll be totally unprepared for whatever options come up. I've only done shepherds practice tests so far though, about to do the Ines from the LNAT website, so I guess they'll be a better indicator.
When you say the essay questions were law related, what do you mean by that? Where they current current events or hot topic debates? Or were they more properly law law questions(if that makes sense)? Xx

That's a really good score to be averaging, so I wouldn't worry about anything! I was initially getting 30, but by the time I reached the end of that textbook, I was getting 39. But I honestly think that it's mostly luck in the end - what passages and questions you get.

Haha I felt the same way about the essay! Honestly not sure how my essay was, but I know only two of the unis I'm applying to will care about it, so that's a slight relief! I'd say that the questions were about general debates. Like the other user mentioned, they could have been asked ten years ago. The only thing that will make them "current" events will be any examples you use to back up your argument!
Original post by academia153
Thanks for your input! Were your essay questions ones that required specific legal knowledge? Or was it more linked to current affairs/general knowledge?

Hey! The other user asked a similar question, so I answered it above. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by thirdcultureteen
That's a really good score to be averaging, so I wouldn't worry about anything! I was initially getting 30, but by the time I reached the end of that textbook, I was getting 39. But I honestly think that it's mostly luck in the end - what passages and questions you get.

Haha I felt the same way about the essay! Honestly not sure how my essay was, but I know only two of the unis I'm applying to will care about it, so that's a slight relief! I'd say that the questions were about general debates. Like the other user mentioned, they could have been asked ten years ago. The only thing that will make them "current" events will be any examples you use to back up your argument!

Thanks a lot! Only two days until I do it now, so I'm just making sure to spend my time reading opinion articles and debates. Hopefully all will go well
Original post by caitlindunn
Thanks a lot! Only two days until I do it now, so I'm just making sure to spend my time reading opinion articles and debates. Hopefully all will go well

Good luck!! You'll feel so relieved once it's over :smile:
They don't require legal knowledge and I didn't in my LNAT there wasn't questions that necessitated more or less legal knowledge, just slightly different arguments:

one would have been answered based on free speech, another on economic arguments, and a third on a debate pertineny in current affairs but was essentially just asking your opinion on a phenomenon.

Thus, they are either asking for logical exposition of an argument or a persuasive exposition of your opinion.
Hi everyone :smile:

Applied (13/10/16) to: Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL & Bristol
GCSE: N/A (school didn't do them)
AS: AAAA
A2 (predicted): A*A*A*A* + A in (law-related) EPQ

Sat my LNAT yesterday! Absolutely terrified that I mucked it all up, but there's nothing that can be done now :frown:
Really hoping to hear from any of my unis before the Christmas holiday at least, be it an offer or a rejection lmao.
Original post by SamLuxa
LNAT provides weighting to an application, it doesn't mean that you get rejected if you don't do that well.

Source: Oxford open day

get back to me in january when you get your lnat results.

Original post by christy98
Hi everyone :smile:

Applied (13/10/16) to: Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL & Bristol
GCSE: N/A (school didn't do them)
AS: AAAA
A2 (predicted): A*A*A*A* + A in (law-related) EPQ

Sat my LNAT yesterday! Absolutely terrified that I mucked it all up, but there's nothing that can be done now :frown:
Really hoping to hear from any of my unis before the Christmas holiday at least, be it an offer or a rejection lmao.

hi christy. many people on this forum say that even if you score low in the LNAT it doesn't matter. they say that the LNAT unis will look at your application as a whole. so what are you worried about? are many of the people on this forum wrong then to say that LNAT doesn't actually/really play a part in getting an offer?
Reply 110

hi christy. many people on this forum say that even if you score low in the LNAT it doesn't matter. they say that the LNAT unis will look at your application as a whole. so what are you worried about? are many of the people on this forum wrong then to say that LNAT doesn't actually/really play a part in getting an offer?

My daughter has applied to three LNAT unis (Oxford, Durham, Nottingham) and Nottingham have been pretty transparent about the process in their acknowledgment email:

"Within four weeks of your application being received it will be reviewed. Candidates who clearly meet or exceed our standard entry requirements and score highly in the LNAT will be made an offer shortly after this.

Applications from candidates who clearly meet or exceed our standard entry requirements but who do not score so highly in the LNAT will be gathered and held, typically to be considered after the January 15th UCAS deadline. You will receive an email notifying you if your application falls into this category.

Those candidates who do not clearly meet our standard entry requirements and/or who do not score highly in the LNAT will not be made an offer. We aim to inform candidates in this latter category of our decision as soon as possible."

The only thing not clear is whether the essay is taken into account, I.e. Do the Uni "score" the essay and add it to the MCQ score somehow?

The other thing to take from this is that if you don't score so high on the LNAT (but still meet their other requirements) you get a second chance in January after the general UCAS deadline.
Reply 111
Original post by Taylor J100
Offer from Exeter earlier this week

You got an offer from Exeter for Law?! when did you apply?

Hmm well I suppose it depends on the application like you said. Fair enough - I've had friends with perfect grades, stellar interview skills and a LNAT of 35+ being rejected from Oxford, and people with similar grades and below average LNAT scores being accepted, so I do know it really doesn't play a huge part in some cases. But in the end, I've no way to know exactly what admissions tutors would think of my application. Not invalidating everyone else's contributions on this forum, but I'd say anything can happen really :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Just to let everyone know applying for KCL that I spoke to the admissions office today and they told me:

1.) A competitive LNAT score for 2016 (obviously they couldn't give one for 2017 as they haven't seen any) was 25/26
2.) They will send out the bulk of their law offers in January/February time as that is when they will have every applicants LNAT scores in

Just thought it would help ☺️
Original post by ob-hockey
Just to let everyone know applying for KCL that I spoke to the admissions office today and they told me:

1.) A competitive LNAT score for 2016 (obviously they couldn't give one for 2017 as they haven't seen any) was 25/26
2.) They will send out the bulk of their law offers in January/February time as that is when they will have every applicants LNAT scores in

Just thought it would help ☺️

But will they still send a few offers in Nov/Dec?
GCSES: AAAAABBBCCCC
A Levels: AAC (Law, Media and Graphic Communication)
Predicted Grades: A* A* A
Uni's: Manchester, Newcastle, Durham, Leeds and Northumbria
Offers: Got an offer from Newcastle today and I only sent my application 4 days ago.
When I submitted my Ucas it warned me I may be required to go for interview at York and UCL. Do they actually interview? If so, is it everyone, or only a few. If that is the case, who do they choose to interview? And how do they use the interview?

Cheers again.
I applied on the 6th October:
Oxford - acknowledgement
KCL - acknowledgement
LSE- acknowledgement
York - acknowledgement
Exeter - offer on 19th October (AAA)

GCSEs: A*A*A*AAAAAAA
A Levels : A*AA and A and B in AS
I've just graduated in law from Exeter university! Message me if you need any help or advice :smile: #Moooose
Sent off form around 12th October, applied for Oxford, Kings, UCL, Durham and Warwick. From what I've read on past threads it seems as if Law suffers a bit of a time lag in offers due to competitiveness, so we shouldn't worry yet aha!
Gcses - A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAA, AS grades AAAA, predicted grades A*A*A*

Latest

Trending

Trending