The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance with A*AB predictions to AAA unis?

I'm applying for maths and two of my options have AAA as their offer. My A* is in maths, the A is physics and the B is music. I'm also taking AS further maths this year and have an A predicted so do you think I have a chance?
Reply 1
Yeah you have a decent chance
Its risky. Any Uni asking for AAA grades wont be short of good applicants, many of whom will have better grades than AAA.

As long as you accept this, then 1 risky choice like this is okay. Even top Unis do sometimes make offers to folk with one grade below - but remember that you will have to GET AAA in August if you accept this as your Firm choice. Btw, its obviously far too risky to make all your choices AAA Unis!

Lots of advice here on 'How to Avoid 5 Rejections' - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections. The most important/sensible bit is that you should have 5 choices with a wide variety of grades :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades; 2 or 3 - at your predicted grades; 1 or 2 - below your predicted grades. This way you will (hopefully) end up with realistic offers you can actually meet and at least one lower offer to make your Insurance choice.
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
Its risky. Any Uni asking for AAA grades wont be short of good applicants, many of whom will have better grades than AAA.

As long as you accept this, then 1 risky choice like this is okay. Even top Unis do sometimes make offers to folk with one grade below - but remember that you will have to GET AAA in August if you accept this as your Firm choice. Btw, its obviously far too risky to make all your choices AAA Unis!

Lots of advice here on 'How to Avoid 5 Rejections' - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections. The most important/sensible bit is that you should have 5 choices with a wide variety of grades :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades; 2 or 3 - at your predicted grades; 1 or 2 - below your predicted grades. This way you will (hopefully) end up with realistic offers you can actually meet and at least one lower offer to make your Insurance choice.

It's really hard to find courses which are at my predicted grades though (personally couldn't find any that I liked), all my choices are either above or below. And I'm also confident that I can get and A in music at the end of the year it's just something happened to one of my music units at AS and my music teacher thinks it will happen again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hiling99
It's really hard to find courses which are at my predicted grades though

A good place to look is WhatUni - https://www.whatuni.com/. Enter your course subject and then the next page gives you a filter to select your predicted grades - you'll get a long list of possible Unis.

Its also worth looking at 'other subjects' that you might have overlooked that are 'like Maths' or any degree 'with Quantitative Methods, or a joint subject degree.

Some suggestions to look at - Aberystwyth (Maths in combination with a whole range of other subjects), Kent (Applied Statistics courses), Bristol (Social Science subjects with 'Quantitative Research Methods').
Reply 5
A good place to look is WhatUni - https://www.whatuni.com/. Enter your course subject and then the next page gives you a filter to select your predicted grades - you'll get a long list of possible Unis.

Its also worth looking at 'other subjects' that you might have overlooked that are 'like Maths' or any degree 'with Quantitative Methods, or a joint subject degree.

Some suggestions to look at - Aberystwyth (Maths in combination with a whole range of other subjects), Kent (Applied Statistics courses), Bristol (Social Science subjects with 'Quantitative Research Methods':wink:.

Thx for the website, it mainly suggested places I'm already applying to like Loughborough and Dundee so it's reassuring. I also had a thought about your suggestions, I am applying for maths and computer science at one of my options and I have considered other joint courses. Unfortunately our school havs already made us submit our ucas and they're unlocking it tomorrow so we can correct any mistakes they have noticed and change our options, but I don't think I have time to taylor my personal statement towards a 3rd subject. And as for social sciences... I'm not really keen on economics. However I am still thinking about Kent.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thx for the website, it mainly suggested places I'm already applying to like Loughborough and Dundee so it's reassuring. I also had a thought about your suggestions, I am applying for maths and computer science at one of my options and I have considered other joint courses. Unfortunately our school havs already made us submit our ucas and they're unlocking it tomorrow so we can correct any mistakes they have noticed and change our options, but I don't think I have time to taylor my personal statement towards a 3rd subject. And as for social sciences... I'm not really keen on economics. However I am still thinking about Kent.

Any artificial deadline your school sets is exactly that - artificial. If you delay your application a few weeks until you are sure about what you want to study and/or the Unis you want to apply to, you will still be able to apply. Your school cannot force you to apply by a particular deadline!
Reply 7

Thanks for the help. I decided to send my application in for those unis anyway and one of them made me an offer already so it was fine in the end.
Reply 8
I would've said no however the further maths and A* in maths could make you stand out a bit, as in they'd be more favourable of you but that depends on the course you wish to apply for. If you get a good reference you might get an A*AB offer or they could just give you a shot with AAA and see if it works out, they might and could even bring your AS further maths into the offer so A*ABa. I wouldn't say it's a dead end and you stand a good chance
Reply 9
Thanks for the help. I decided to send my application in for those unis anyway and one of them made me an offer already so it was fine in the end.

Just saw this! That's excellent, congratulations! Do you mind if I ask you what the offer was? I think a few people get into this situation as I was almost in the same boat on Thursday, although luckily the B changed to A on Friday just before the deadline
Reply 10
Original post by zayn008
Just saw this! That's excellent, congratulations! Do you mind if I ask you what the offer was? I think a few people get into this situation as I was almost in the same boat on Thursday, although luckily the B changed to A on Friday just before the deadline

The offer was AAA but as I have mentioned before I'm trying really hard to get the A in music, regardless of my prediction so I'm hoping to meet it.
Reply 11
The offer was AAA but as I have mentioned before I'm trying really hard to get the A in music, regardless of my prediction so I'm hoping to meet it.

Glad to hear, best of luck with that I hope it works out :smile:
Reply 12
I'm applying for maths and two of my options have AAA as their offer. My A* is in maths, the A is physics and the B is music. I'm also taking AS further maths this year and have an A predicted so do you think I have a chance?

A*AB is equivalent to AAA. I've applied last year for an MMAth (one of my choices) requiring AAA, and they stated that A*AB is an equivalent provided that the A* is in Maths. Honestly, you do have a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest