The Student Room Group

I don't know what to write - Sixth form personal statement!!!

I know what I want to write, but I don't know how to put my ideas into words and sentences and paragraphs on the personal statement, I've looked at the tips and whatnot on writing personal statements on the UCAS website. I've looked at example personal statements. I even wrote down 5 entire paragraphs but they turned out to be rubbish so I deleted them. HOW DO I EVEN START IT!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
someone help!! guide me!!!
Just splurge all of your ideas onto the page - don't worry about how it sounds or its length. Then try to give it a bit of structure and slowly edit it down. Try to focus mostly on the subjects you're applying for rather than anything else.
Original post by Hollyhock
Just splurge all of your ideas onto the page - don't worry about how it sounds or its length. Then try to give it a bit of structure and slowly edit it down. Try to focus mostly on the subjects you're applying for rather than anything else.

how do I even start the first sentence?
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
how do I even start the first sentence?

What course are you applying for? I'll try to help you.
same tbh
Original post by sameehaiqbal
What course are you applying for? I'll try to help you.

chemistry, biology and physics - A levels
Your first sentence should be a hook I would leave that till last. You had 5 paragraphs why delete all of it? Who told you it is rubbish?

1) Have an idea of what course you want to study.
2) Explain to yourself out loud why you want to study it
3) Explain to yourself out loud why you want to go to university
4) Examine my checklist that I've linked below
5) Look at each box and write a simple sentence ON A PIECE OF PAPER about it (preferably something that links to you e.g. an example). For example if I've said "Be positive" - write "I will be positive." or maybe "One positive thing about me is this...".

6) Don't look at other examples of personal statements too much because what happens is you tend to use common phrases from them. One phrase I didn't realise was a cliche is the following: "Computer science is a big part of the world's future" so you've gotta be very careful.

7) Start with a brainstorm of things about yourself and what you've done. Group those things under the distinct categories e.g. "Work experience"; "Extracurricular activities"; "Academic Experience and why I want to do this course". Then try and form a few sentences. Eventually you'll be forming paragraphs.

8) Follow the technical guidelines. Make sure the word limit and line limits are correct.

9) Make sure to sort out basic stuff like sleep and stress - these things affect every part of our life yet so many people don't realise it. If you find you are struggling with time, try some time management tips, work faster in things that you can afford to rush, and...

10) Have this rule in mind "Sacrifice and Strategy" - if you're very far behind like me, you will actually have to put a complete stop to "fun stuff" unless you're studying, where doing something "fun" will be good for your brain. If you're doing an assignment or something , you could probably afford not to have "fun" if you know what I mean. Like put a stop to youtube, facebook, videogames OR only view them VERY infrequently and for a short time.

11) If you don't have many things to put on there about yourself, then try getting in some volunteering in, maybe some moocs, maybe purchase a book for 'wider reading' or follow some groups on social media or even better join some clubs in your school or idk there are loads of stuff you could be doing.

12) Get your tutors and advisors to check and see where improvements can be made.

13) Good luck. Get enough sleep - you'll be more energised and can work more efficiently - saving more time in the long-run. Aim for 8-9 hours sleep and have breakfast.

14) One last thing, sometimes you have to JUST DO IT!!!
:angelwings:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kiritsugu
1) Have an idea of what course you want to study.
2) Explain to yourself out loud why you want to study it
3) Explain to yourself out loud why you want to go to university
4) Examine my checklist that I've linked below
5) Look at each box and write a simple sentence ON A PIECE OF PAPER about it (preferably something that links to you e.g. an example). For example if I've said "Be positive" - write "I will be positive." or maybe "One positive thing about me is this...".

6) Don't look at other examples of personal statements too much because what happens is you tend to use common phrases from them. One phrase I didn't realise was a cliche is the following: "Computer science is a big part of the world's future" so you've gotta be very careful.

7) Start with a brainstorm of things about yourself and what you've done. Group those things under the distinct categories e.g. "Work experience"; "Extracurricular activities"; "Academic Experience and why I want to do this course". Then try and form a few sentences. Eventually you'll be forming paragraphs.

8) Follow the technical guidelines. Make sure the word limit and line limits are correct.

9) Make sure to sort out basic stuff like sleep and stress - these things affect every part of our life yet so many people don't realise it. If you find you are struggling with time, try some time management tips, work faster in things that you can afford to rush, and...

10) Have this rule in mind "Sacrifice and Strategy" - if you're very far behind like me, you will actually have to put a complete stop to "fun stuff" unless you're studying, where doing something "fun" will be good for your brain. If you're doing an assignment or something , you could probably afford not to have "fun" if you know what I mean. Like put a stop to youtube, facebook, videogames OR only view them VERY infrequently and for a short time.

11) If you don't have many things to put on there about yourself, then try getting in some volunteering in, maybe some moocs, maybe purchase a book for 'wider reading' or follow some groups on social media or even better join some clubs in your school or idk there are loads of stuff you could be doing.

12) Get your tutors and advisors to check and see where improvements can be made.

13) Good luck. Get enough sleep - you'll be more energised and can work more efficiently - saving more time in the long-run. Aim for 8-9 hours sleep and have breakfast.

14) One last thing, sometimes you have to JUST DO IT!!!
:angelwings:

thanks.
I started off my personal statement with a personal experience that inspired me to choose my course. None of the cliche **** like "Ever since a young age", "since I was a child I was...".
thanks.

No problem. Ask anyone and everyone for advice when and if you need it. Be proactive and keep moving around - or if you're like me and you're sitting down, keep doing something. Sometimes a little nap can energise you. But overall just keep doing something and you'll notice you're getting things done.

Think of the long-term benefit or who you'd like to be - what would the perfect CV be for you - who do you want to be? A leader? A reliable companion? Idk - but the long term benefits should be your focus. Every time you go to that place to volunteer or that sports centre is more experience and it will actually make you more well-rounded.
i created a mind map for mine, i wrote down any personal achievements whilst at college/school, my personal qualities and skills i possess, how my subjects/work may give me skills eg. job gives me timekeeping. then my biggest bubble was why i wanted to study the course and why i loved it. i wrote my first paragraph almost last as it was the hardest to write
Leave the first sentence til the end :smile:

Check out the PS builder tool (linked in my signature below). That will talk you through the process :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending