The Student Room Group

Muslim Girls: What did you think of #NoHijabDay on twitter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
Why?

Because if you want to take your hijab off and not wear it anymore, just ****ing take it off? You don't need a day to allow you to do that? I agree that some people are forced to wear it by their parents which is wrong but the women who are actually using "no hijab day" to post a selfie without wearing a hijab obviously have enough freedom to choose not to wear it if they can post a picture of them without hijab all over the internet?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Men also have rules such as no shorts that show above the knees, can't wear women stuff like women jewellery aswell, and I read that its haram to wear something that promotes vanity. Look at the cultures what males wear in Saudi Arabia they are also pretty much covering hair and the clothes aren't tight etc.

Thank you very much for pointing this out. :smile:
If the hijab really was a choice for everyone then this day would not exist as nobody would want to participate which shows that some people are forced to wear it whilst others choose to.
Interesting how female muslims here in the west conveniently forget about like 80% of the women in the arab world. Just because you are privileged doesn't mean all women are. Hijab is not optional to women in places such as saudi arabia or UAE, in fact even Niqab isn't optional.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
False. Men also need to be modest.

To the extent of women? Are they required to wear an article of clothing, such as a Hijab, for a "shield"? (or protection, otherwise)

Original post by SuperHuman98
Men also have rules such as no shorts that show above the knees, can't wear women stuff like women jewellery aswell, and I read that its haram to wear something that promotes vanity. Look at the cultures what males wear in Saudi Arabia they are also pretty much covering hair and the clothes aren't tight etc.

Is that voluntary, or is it stated explicitly in a holy text? (referring to covering their hair)

Original post by sameehaiqbal
Because if you want to take your hijab off and not wear it anymore, just ****ing take it off? You don't need a day to allow you to do that? I agree that some people are forced to wear it by their parents which is wrong but the women who are actually using "no hijab day" to post a selfie without wearing a hijab obviously have enough freedom to choose not to wear it if they can post a picture of them without hijab all over the internet?

As several have specified on Twitter, the hashtag is aimed towards countries and regions, where the wearing of a Hijab is compulsory, under law.
Original post by gagafacea1
Interesting how female muslims here in the west conveniently forget about like 80% of the women in the arab world. Just because you are privileged doesn't mean all women are. Hijab is not optional to women in places such as saudi arabia or UAE, in fact even Niqab isn't optional.

Are you very sure about this?
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Are you very sure about this?

the percentage, of course not. Btw I'm talking about Saudis or Emiratis themselves. Like if you're a foreigner, you're not forced to. Because it's the family (father/brothers) who force the women to wear them.
Original post by mkap
lmao people say the hijab is oppression (even though most girls choose to wear it themselves) yet society oppresses women making them feel like they cant wear what they choose to by coming out with no hijab days.

This is SO true. I agree with you 100% and tbh there shouldn't be a day dedicated to it BUT I know a lot of girls even in the uk who's parents force them to wear the hijab and then they take it off when they are not there. Plus in muslim countries (i.e syria, lebanon, afghanistan, pakistan, iran and Iraq) wearing the hijab is forced on a large amount of women so I guess if we stand with them and just really emphasise how its wrong to force those who don't want to wear it is good I guess
Original post by _gcx

The Hijab is a symbol of female oppression, as the rationale behind its introduction in Islam, is, essentially, sexist. Saying that women should be modest, and men do not have to be, is sexist.

I wouldn't call that oppression, few people are suggesting that one should not wear the hijab if they want to.

Lol men don't have to be modest?? Don't talk without knowledge.
Reply 29
protesting against the scarf they CHOSE to wear...?

does that make sense to anyone else?
Reply 30
Original post by samantham999
This is SO true. I agree with you 100% and tbh there shouldn't be a day dedicated to it BUT I know a lot of girls even in the uk who's parents force them to wear the hijab and then they take it off when they are not there. Plus in muslim countries (i.e syria, lebanon, afghanistan, pakistan, iran and Iraq) wearing the hijab is forced on a large amount of women so I guess if we stand with them and just really emphasise how its wrong to force those who don't want to wear it is good I guess

i agree some girls are forced to and thats wrong, a girl should wear it for themselves not bc someone is making them. but you do know in places like Saudi Arabia a women doesnt have to cover her hair despite what the media make out. (i live in saudi so ik)
I think it's stupid. Everyone has a right to wear what they want. They want to wear the hijab-fine.
They don't want to- fine.
Original post by mkap
i agree some girls are forced to and thats wrong, a girl should wear it for themselves not bc someone is making them. but you do know in places like Saudi Arabia a women doesnt have to cover her hair despite what the media make out. (i live in saudi so ik)

Are you sure? I went to saudi and I pretty much had to cover everything because the security people would say we had to? Tbh I hate saudi anyway, its probably one of the worst places to live (im not talking of pilgrimage!!). The culture is not even islam it just reminds me of oppression and money hungry slaves to the west
Original post by Kraixo

Hahah men have dont have to be modest? That person is crazy. Have you even read what men cannot wear? They cant even wear silk or gold. The haircuts many boys have today are haram. They cannot wear short shorts no matter how many muslim boys you see doing so. Shall I go on?
Original post by mkap
lmao people say the hijab is oppression (even though most girls choose to wear it themselves) yet society oppresses women making them feel like they cant wear what they choose to by coming out with no hijab days.

Did you click the link? Iran has been FORCING women to wear them. They want out of it.
Original post by Kraixo

Modified the original statement.

Original post by samantham999
Hahah men have dont have to be modest? (1) That person is crazy (2). Have you even read what men cannot wear? (3) They cant even wear silk or gold. The haircuts many boys have today are haram (4). They cannot wear short shorts no matter how many muslim boys you see doing so. (5) Shall I go on? (6)

To the extent of women, no they don't. They are not forced to wear an article of clothing for protection (this can be interpreted in multiple ways, and I will explore them at the end of the post.

It depends how you define "insane"/"crazy". We are all insane in some regard. :smile:

Yes. :h:

Can you quote a specific teaching regarding specific haircuts, out of interest? :smile:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's only garments above the knee? You can get shorts which cover below the knee. Are these rules enforced in a similar way to women? (ie. they are shamed societally, or even by law in particularly devout countries) Not a mocking question, I'm interested in healthy debate. :smile:

Go ahead, idm :smile:

I would've picked on the use of "cannot", and "must", in contexts where in fact choice is involved, (unless you meant "under Islamic law", and I assume you have) but I have refrained, as people have varying perceptions of that word.
95b.jpg
Eh all religion is nonsensical and islam is the most dangerous
Original post by _gcx
Modified the original statement.

To the extent of women, no they don't. They are not forced to wear an article of clothing for protection (this can be interpreted in multiple ways, and I will explore them at the end of the post.

It depends how you define "insane"/"crazy". We are all insane in some regard. :smile:

Yes. :h:

Can you quote a specific teaching regarding specific haircuts, out of interest? :smile:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's only garments above the knee? You can get shorts which cover below the knee. Are these rules enforced in a similar way to women? (ie. they are shamed societally, or even by law in particularly devout countries) Not a mocking question, I'm interested in healthy debate. :smile:

Go ahead, idm :smile:

I would've picked on the use of "cannot", and "must", in contexts where in fact choice is involved, (unless you meant "under Islamic law", and I assume you have) but I have refrained, as people have varying perceptions of that word.

4) There is a difference of opinion regarding this matter.
But the evidence against the typical boy haircuts of today are as follows (there might be more):-

-Al-Bukhaari (5921) and Muslim (2120) narrated from Ibn ‘Umar that the Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) forbade qaza’. Naafi’ (one of the narrators of the hadeeth) said, explaining qaza’: Shaving part of a boy’s head and leaving part.
-Al-Nasaa’i (5048) and Abu Dawood (4195) narrated from Ibn ‘Umar that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) saw a boy part of whose head had been shaved and part of it left. He told them not to do that and said: “Shave all of it or leave all of it.” Al-Albaani classed it as Saheeh/authentic inSaheeh al-Nasaa’i.

Quick Reply

Latest