The Student Room Group

Do you support the Royal family?

Poll

Do you support the Monarchy, or should the UK be a republic?

Just a note on the Royal Family here. As much they are a figurehead for the nation, they also prove a substantial diversion for many from the true power. Many seem to be more concerned with the dress Kate is wearing than a statement by the Brexit or Foreign secretary. Do not forget where the real power lies.

Generally I support them, but not because of their photo shoots.

Do you?
Reply 1
I remain hopeful that one day my children can become head of their own country. Unfortunately it will take a revolution before that can occur.

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Reue
I remain hopeful that one day my children can become head of their own country. Unfortunately it will take a revolution before that can occur.

Personally, I'd be more hopeful that my kids could effect real change in this country, which means not seeking to become some arbitrary figurehead.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
Personally, I'd be more hopeful that my kids could effect real change in this country, which means not seeking to become some arbitrary figurehead.

All the more reason for the revolution.
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
Just a note on the Royal Family here. As much they are a figurehead for the nation, they also prove a substantial diversion for many from the true power. Many seem to be more concerned with the dress Kate is wearing than a statement by the Brexit or Foreign secretary. Do not forget where the real power lies.

Generally I support them, but not because of their photo shoots.

Do you?

The same can be said about celebrities such as the Kardashians etc, infact lots of people are apathetic about politics unfortunately

In my opinion, I don't care about the Royal Family because I feel that they probably are good for tourism even though barely anyone meets them, its still more popular than empty monuments. They can do whatever they want yeah I don't care that there is a kid born richer than me because I think life as a normal person is better and the queen realistically won't do anything besides what she is expected to
(edited 7 years ago)
I do not care. At all.

Original post by Reue

To me it's not about the Royal family as people it's about the constitutional system we have. We have the most stable constitution in the world and it has served us well for hundreds of years. It has made us into the prosperous nation we are and has influenced most of the prosperous countries in the world.

So I couldn't care less about what Kate is wearing, whether they are nice people, what their opinions are or whether they represent me. None of that matters. Nor does it matter whether they cost 100m or 1bn because that is still nothing compared to the size of the economy.

For all I care, we can have a chimp as king because I don't think it is worth messing with such a successful constitutional system for what are symbolic reasons.

I don't think there is any merit to the argument that they are a distraction. Politics is widely covered and people have the information if they are interested but many people are not and they wouldn't be with or without the royal family. If Kate wasn't about it would just mean more space to fill with what Kim Kardasian was wearing.
Reply 7
Original post by Reue

Except that makes no sense. Look at somewhere like Germany. Their elected head of state is purely ceremonial. Even in the US the President is the least powerful of the 3 branches of Government.
we dont need a monarchy.
finally someone has made a thread about this !

:king1:
Although as someone as stated it is good for tourism, they are nothing more than a celebrity family now. I can't understand, for this reason, why people bow down to them. Ordinary working families, who might be struggling, bow down this rich family (much like the Kardashians) who have done nothing to earn their fame, other than being lucky enough to come out of a particular womb.
No, don't care how much money they bring in it's a matter of principle.

the entire monarch system is quite simply ****ed up.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
Except that makes no sense. Look at somewhere like Germany. Their elected head of state is purely ceremonial. Even in the US the President is the least powerful of the 3 branches of Government.

No revolution: Ceremonial head of state

Revolution: Chance at a non-ceremonial head of state
Nope. Off with their heads :biggrin: or never let them leave the palace. Just feed them cheese through the gates.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest