The Student Room Group

stressing over exams

OK, i know i am kinda late but i only just realised how rubbish i do in exams. i already did my GCSEs and they were ok i guess. i will be honest, i didn't really take them that seriously but i did ok i guess, 3 As, 5Bs 4Cs and 1D. now doing my A levels and everything has intensified. i did my mocks and i feel like i did much worse that what i expected. i think it is because of stressing that i am sitting in a exam hall and i am doing an exam. my mum tells me just think you are in a classroom but she doesnt understand that its in the back of my head and im scared. nd this on a whole affects my grades. when i get low grades i get into trouble nd it really annoys me. also i STILL don't know how to revise, i only know that i can't read out a textbook as it doesn't go into my head. help me out guys please asap!!!!!! what should i do about this wierd situation???
Reply 1
Righty. I know how you feel here.

Your worry probably stems from not being able to revise efficiently so once you're in the exam you don't feel confident on what answers are. For me there are three ways to revise I found most effective. Firstly, transferring what you know into mind maps or timelines or question and answer cards (of the things you find the most difficult) stuck up all over your room. For chemistry GCSE, I had these little question answer cards around my bathroom mirror which I had to look at every morning, reading these everyday meant that the information really went into my head. Once you feel you know something, swap it with something else. I also have timelines for history along my walls and English mind maps on my doors. It really helps seeing something every morning and I found this the best method of revision.

Secondly, the morning or night before my exam, I always get an A4 piece of paper and fold it into a booklet. I then write out everything I find the hardest or haven't learn yet OR try to summarise the entire exam content onto the piece of paper and test myself over and over or get someone else to test me until its memorised.

Thirdly, listening or watching revision videos or podcasts in the background of getting ready for school or bed. It just means that you constantly have information going into your head subconsciously. And, it goes without saying just do as many past papers as you can so you know exactly what kind of thing crops up on the exam.

Once you feel you know the stuff, you'll be a lot calmer. I always pretend I'm in a mock when I'm doing an exam or pretend it doesn't matter. You can only do the best that you can. If it continues to get worse, talk to your school and see if they can get you moved into a smaller venue for your exams:smile:
Original post by maryamazam
OK, i know i am kinda late but i only just realised how rubbish i do in exams. i already did my GCSEs and they were ok i guess. i will be honest, i didn't really take them that seriously but i did ok i guess, 3 As, 5Bs 4Cs and 1D. now doing my A levels and everything has intensified. i did my mocks and i feel like i did much worse that what i expected. i think it is because of stressing that i am sitting in a exam hall and i am doing an exam. my mum tells me just think you are in a classroom but she doesnt understand that its in the back of my head and im scared. nd this on a whole affects my grades. when i get low grades i get into trouble nd it really annoys me. also i STILL don't know how to revise, i only know that i can't read out a textbook as it doesn't go into my head. help me out guys please asap!!!!!! what should i do about this wierd situation???

Maybe try and familiarise yourself with the exam hall environment before exam season? Sit in the hall and do past papers, help the invigilators set out seats before exams - I did do that once and strangely it helped later with my nerves because I felt more comfortable/a bit more confident?😳😂. In terms of revision, what alevels are you taking? I feel like everyone eventually finds what works for them and it's usually a different technique for each subject. What I would stress though is past paperss! They will help familiarise you with exam style (which means you'll be less nervous in exams)and solving papers or even just seeing mark schemes will make content stick-Especially with subjects like chemistry/maths... Some people like highlighting, post it notes, making notes from the textbook during term or even just writing lots and lots of essays. What I did was listen and make sure you understand everything in class-don't let your mind wonder (I knoww, easier said than done) and ask your teachers questions!! That's what they're there forr😊 Let me know what subjects you're taking and if I did any that are the same I might be able to help you a bit more with specific techniques. Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Terrificmagenta
Maybe try and familiarise yourself with the exam hall environment before exam season? Sit in the hall and do past papers, help the invigilators set out seats before exams - I did do that once and strangely it helped later with my nerves because I felt more comfortable/a bit more confident?😳😂. In terms of revision, what alevels are you taking? I feel like everyone eventually finds what works for them and it's usually a different technique for each subject. What I would stress though is past paperss! They will help familiarise you with exam style (which means you'll be less nervous in exams)and solving papers or even just seeing mark schemes will make content stick-Especially with subjects like chemistry/maths... Some people like highlighting, post it notes, making notes from the textbook during term or even just writing lots and lots of essays. What I did was listen and make sure you understand everything in class-don't let your mind wonder (I knoww, easier said than done) and ask your teachers questions!! That's what they're there forr😊 Let me know what subjects you're taking and if I did any that are the same I might be able to help you a bit more with specific techniques. Good luck

thank you sooo mch for the advice!! i will try and talk to my head of year and see if its allowed for me to set up chair and stuff, not sure if it has ever been done before. at the moment i am doing maths, bio and urdu. i used to do chem but dropped it as it was hard but to be honest i didnt realise i did that badly. im fine with urdu ish just need to practice my speaking at home. maths is ehh practicing with past papers will help alot but for bio i just dont know how to revise. i got a E for AS and i dont want that to happen again. yh i like highlighting but i ned to make notes but they arent simplified so kind need help wih that. im doing the new spec for ocr bi. oh idk y but i feel like i didnt learn mch last year and this year im actually learning things. i do need to do past papers for bio but dnt have time to print them.
i also have a part time job, i work mon and fri 4.45-6.4, sat 9-4-15 and sun 9-1.15. i barely have time and when i come home i am sooooo lazy. i rally need motivation and inspiration right now. i want to do well but seriously get put down a lot buy mum. being asian is hard and i just wish she would encourage me to do well instead of taunting me saying i am never gonna succeed, blah blah blah.
Reply 4
Original post by lowza
Righty. I know how you feel here.

Your worry probably stems from not being able to revise efficiently so once you're in the exam you don't feel confident on what answers are. For me there are three ways to revise I found most effective. Firstly, transferring what you know into mind maps or timelines or question and answer cards (of the things you find the most difficult) stuck up all over your room. For chemistry GCSE, I had these little question answer cards around my bathroom mirror which I had to look at every morning, reading these everyday meant that the information really went into my head. Once you feel you know something, swap it with something else. I also have timelines for history along my walls and English mind maps on my doors. It really helps seeing something every morning and I found this the best method of revision.

Secondly, the morning or night before my exam, I always get an A4 piece of paper and fold it into a booklet. I then write out everything I find the hardest or haven't learn yet OR try to summarise the entire exam content onto the piece of paper and test myself over and over or get someone else to test me until its memorised.

Thirdly, listening or watching revision videos or podcasts in the background of getting ready for school or bed. It just means that you constantly have information going into your head subconsciously. And, it goes without saying just do as many past papers as you can so you know exactly what kind of thing crops up on the exam.

Once you feel you know the stuff, you'll be a lot calmer. I always pretend I'm in a mock when I'm doing an exam or pretend it doesn't matter. You can only do the best that you can. If it continues to get worse, talk to your school and see if they can get you moved into a smaller venue for your exams:smile:

hey, thank a lot for the advice!!! really appreciated. i like the idea of sticking things on the bathroom mirror, i will try it out. the thing is i live in a 2 bedroom flat and it my parent and us 6 kids. very hard for revising so i stay at school for tht or library. hard to put stuff up without them touching or ruining it. i will try out all the things you say and let you know how it goes. i also have a job and barely have time but will try to puy in time. also i really need inspiration and motivation. help plz!! oh i am doing a levels bio maths nd urdu.
thank you sooo mch for the advice!! i will try and talk to my head of year and see if its allowed for me to set up chair and stuff, not sure if it has ever been done before. at the moment i am doing maths, bio and urdu. i used to do chem but dropped it as it was hard but to be honest i didnt realise i did that badly. im fine with urdu ish just need to practice my speaking at home. maths is ehh practicing with past papers will help alot but for bio i just dont know how to revise. i got a E for AS and i dont want that to happen again. yh i like highlighting but i ned to make notes but they arent simplified so kind need help wih that. im doing the new spec for ocr bi. oh idk y but i feel like i didnt learn mch last year and this year im actually learning things. i do need to do past papers for bio but dnt have time to print them.
i also have a part time job, i work mon and fri 4.45-6.4, sat 9-4-15 and sun 9-1.15. i barely have time and when i come home i am sooooo lazy. i rally need motivation and inspiration right now. i want to do well but seriously get put down a lot buy mum. being asian is hard and i just wish she would encourage me to do well instead of taunting me saying i am never gonna succeed, blah blah blah.

Awwww. Don't worry, it'll all be over soon and then you'll look back and wonder why on earth you stressed out about those alevels !
Would you give up your job closer to exams?? Working everyday is probably weighing you down, that's a Lott of hours... I would be exhausted!
If you can, why don't you just work on the weekdays so you can focus on any hw, etc on the weekends? (I don't ever remember studying on weekdays unless it was in class, but I did make sure I completed all my homework on Saturday morning and Sunday evenings) Maybe don't change your work schedule now since were still very early on in the year, but exam periods going to be so hard trying to juggle that job as well as your studies :frown:
If not, make SURE you do any catching up during your holidays.
With Biology, (I did ocr too-not new spec coz I just finished my alevels; so we were the last cohort sitting old spec :smile: but teachers say contents pretty much the same), I'll PM you (tomorrow) with any sort of tips/general help becuase I've said some of this stuff on previous threads, don't want to be repeating myself :smile:
Try not to stress a lot over alevels, it's really not worth it 😁😕. You will get through this, you'll find what works for you and figure out what's going to get you to pass those exams :smile:
Good luck
Reply 6
Awwww. Don't worry, it'll all be over soon and then you'll look back and wonder why on earth you stressed out about those alevels !
Would you give up your job closer to exams?? Working everyday is probably weighing you down, that's a Lott of hours... I would be exhausted!
If you can, why don't you just work on the weekdays so you can focus on any hw, etc on the weekends? (I don't ever remember studying on weekdays unless it was in class, but I did make sure I completed all my homework on Saturday morning and Sunday evenings) Maybe don't change your work schedule now since were still very early on in the year, but exam periods going to be so hard trying to juggle that job as well as your studies :frown:
If not, make SURE you do any catching up during your holidays.
With Biology, (I did ocr too-not new spec coz I just finished my alevels; so we were the last cohort sitting old spec :smile: but teachers say contents pretty much the same), I'll PM you (tomorrow) with any sort of tips/general help becuase I've said some of this stuff on previous threads, don't want to be repeating myself :smile:
Try not to stress a lot over alevels, it's really not worth it 😁😕. You will get through this, you'll find what works for you and figure out what's going to get you to pass those exams :smile:
Good luck

heya, i work on mn nd fri after skool from 4:45-6:45, sat 9-4:15 and sun 9-1:15. still four days a week and i am very lazy after i get home from work. yh i will prob take a break from work bfore exams come up so i can revise. and thanks a lot!!. i look forward to your PM!!
heya, i work on mn nd fri after skool from 4:45-6:45, sat 9-4:15 and sun 9-1:15. still four days a week and i am very lazy after i get home from work. yh i will prob take a break from work bfore exams come up so i can revise. and thanks a lot!!. i look forward to your PM!!

Heyy I sent you a PM yestrrday. you recieve it??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Heyy I sent you a PM yestrrday. you recieve it??

umm i think so, did i reply to u? sorry im kind new so dnt know how to work the website that well, still getting the hang of it.
umm i think so, did i reply to u? sorry im kind new so dnt know how to work the website that well, still getting the hang of it.

Yes you did, sorry, I didn't see your reply before, think I received it a bit late (clearly I'm not that great at working the website myself, loll) :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest